The Big Plan?

madlithuanian

There's a lot of mention of "fire sale",etc...and I'm not sure that's the case. A few have mentioned here that we simply got rid of and got something for guys that weren't working out for us.

If we see Bennett or Forte moved, then I think we're in a full scale youth movement. Until that happens, I think the regime stays their course. Keep drafting young talent, pick up a few key FA's and attempt to retain a handful of big contract guys.

Bennett: I do see Bennett leaving after his contract, so there is a good reason to shop him. However, we can still use him. He's under contract for a little while and we can tag him.

Forte: Either we get the hometown discount or he walks I assume next season. So shopping him makes some sense. That said, we should be seeing a lot more of Langford then. And that hasn't happened yet.

Alshon: He worries me. He's always hurt and hasn't shown much w/o having a beast like Marshall around. I really need to see him hit the field. I'm inclined to tag him next year no matter what. We simply need to see him play with White. Until then, it's too much gamble to offer the big long term contract

Long: We should lock him up now to a ong term deal befroe we move him to LT and he demands a higher price tag.

Just some thoughts for heading into next season...

There's a lot of mention of "fire sale",etc...and I'm not sure that's the case. A few have mentioned here that we simply got rid of and got something for guys that weren't working out for us.

If we see Bennett or Forte moved, then I think we're in a full scale youth movement. Until that happens, I think the regime stays their course. Keep drafting young talent, pick up a few key FA's and attempt to retain a handful of big contract guys.

Bennett: I do see Bennett leaving after his contract, so there is a good reason to shop him. However, we can still use him. He's under contract for a little while and we can tag him.

Forte: Either we get the hometown discount or he walks I assume next season. So shopping him makes some sense. That said, we should be seeing a lot more of Langford then. And that hasn't happened yet.

Alshon: He worries me. He's always hurt and hasn't shown much w/o having a beast like Marshall around. I really need to see him hit the field. I'm inclined to tag him next year no matter what. We simply need to see him play with White. Until then, it's too much gamble to offer the big long term contract

Long: We should lock him up now to a ong term deal befroe we move him to LT and he demands a higher price tag.

Agreed on all parts. I'm not convinced our team is already looking to next season and beyond. I'm of the mind they are making moves simply to accommodate what they are doing now. Although Bostic led the team in tackles last year, we haven't heard a peep out of him this year. And Allen just never really picked up on the defense that Fangio brought over. With Johnson's injury, Carolina needed a pass rusher for their 4-3 defense and they got him Everyone wins in the end. Jared's on a 3-0 team now with hopes to make a run. Which he deserved.

I wonder if at this point the plan is already been decided on or are they going to decide on it after this season. Lets say Cutler continues to get better in Gases system and finishes the season with great stats and lowers his turnovers, does that change the plan?

Cutler is playing this season to save his career, Im not saying he will but what if he does. It could change what the Bears do with Alshon, Bennet and even Forte.

I don't see any other team giving Forte big money or even long term guaranteed money, the Bears could sign him on a cost effective contract but the only reason I see them resigning Forte is if they think they can make a push for the playoffs next year.

Then take into consideration the amount of cap space the Bears have, IF Cutler turns it around and the offense wont be starting over you can go after some OL help and defensive talent.

Think about this

sign a LT

Sign a CB

sign a guy like Von Miller or some other BIG TIME FA on the defensive side

you have White coming back hopefully lives up to the 1st round draft pick

The Bears could easily turn this thing around quicker then later. But that all revolves around Cutler and Im not getting my hopes up that he will do what I have been praying for!

I agree, the plan and these changes are just some focus on the future. At this point we've done nothing more than get rid of some guys who couldn't play well (Vereen, Bostic), or couldn't play well enough in the scheme (Jared Allen). Seattle did this very early on when their new GM came in. I think at one point they had looked at something like 150 players in their first season.

IMO, it is still important for us to remain competitive so we get better evaluations of players. Keep rolling with Clausen as QB and you might not know what you have in some of these WRs, or backup TEs, or even RBs. Jared Allen was a leader in the locker room so that hurts things but this places McPhee squarely in that role and I don't mind that, along with Ratliff. The other two guys leaving sends a message to the rest of the team about performance and knowing your job. I don't mind that message either.

Now if a guy like Forte is traded that's a big gap in leadership and competitiveness. If we move in that direction I hope we'd see some good things from Langford first to indicate we got stability at this position going forward. Everyone knows Jacquizz Rodgers, although he has done well enough, is not the main guy for the future.

Having Jay succeed is only a plus. But I still think you pull the trigger on a franchise QB if we can get one. You let him sit like Rodgers and Favre...

But I like your overall plan.

I wonder if at this point the plan is already been decided on or are they going to decide on it after this season. Lets say Cutler continues to get better in Gases system and finishes the season with great stats and lowers his turnovers, does that change the plan?

Cutler is playing this season to save his career, Im not saying he will but what if he does. It could change what the Bears do with Alshon, Bennet and even Forte.

I don't see any other team giving Forte big money or even long term guaranteed money, the Bears could sign him on a cost effective contract but the only reason I see them resigning Forte is if they think they can make a push for the playoffs next year.

Then take into consideration the amount of cap space the Bears have, IF Cutler turns it around and the offense wont be starting over you can go after some OL help and defensive talent.

Think about this

sign a LT

Sign a CB

sign a guy like Von Miller or some other BIG TIME FA on the defensive side

you have White coming back hopefully lives up to the 1st round draft pick

The Bears could easily turn this thing around quicker then later. But that all revolves around Cutler and Im not getting my hopes up that he will do what I have been praying for!