Remaining Schedule

adam

After the first quarter of the season, we are through the toughest part of the schedule, which was expected. Most had us at 1-3 after 4 anyway. Now it seems like we shift into an easier quarter of the season, currently scheduled to play teams with a combined record of 5-10. We should at least split, if not go 3-1 in the next 4. That would put us between 3-4 at the halfway point. Then we go into a tougher quarter playing teams 11-5, and 1 win seems to be the most realistic outcome (though we could split depending on what STL team shows up). Then we get into the final quarter against teams currently 5-10 again like the 2nd quarter. To me this sets up for 7-9 wins and a strong finish. If the season ended today, a .500 team would be the 2nd wild card.

Here is what we have coming up:

@ Kansas City (1-3)

@ Detroit (0-3)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-2)

--

@ St. Louis (2-2)

Denver (4-0)

@ Green Bay (4-0)

San Francisco (1-3)

--

Washington (2-2)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (1-3)

Detroit (0-3)

I know it was only 1 win, but if you look at the other teams with 1 win or less (14 of them), we seem to be better than most of them and have had the toughest schedule of the group.

The schedule definitely is easier now, but the last 5 games in particular is when I think the Bears will rack up most of their remaining victories for the year. San Francisco is garbage. Washington is below average, Minnesota is good, Tampa sucks, and Detroit is probably below average now as well.

Having said that, these next 3-4 games are going to be difficult. We're 10 point underdogs against KC next week. I don't see a W there. I also can't imagine the Lions starting the year 0-6 by losing to the Bears. They always play much better at home, especially against the Bears. Minnesota and San Diego are winnable, but we won't be favored in either of those games. I see best case: 2-2, but more likely 1-3.

After the first quarter of the season, we are through the toughest part of the schedule, which was expected. Most had us at 1-3 after 4 anyway. Now it seems like we shift into an easier quarter of the season, currently scheduled to play teams with a combined record of 5-10. We should at least split, if not go 3-1 in the next 4. That would put us between 3-4 at the halfway point. Then we go into a tougher quarter playing teams 11-5, and 1 win seems to be the most realistic outcome (though we could split depending on what STL team shows up). Then we get into the final quarter against teams currently 5-10 again like the 2nd quarter. To me this sets up for 7-9 wins and a strong finish. If the season ended today, a .500 team would be the 2nd wild card.

@ Kansas City (1-3)

@ Detroit (0-3)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-2)

--

@ St. Louis (2-2)

Denver (4-0)

@ Green Bay (4-0)

San Francisco (1-3)

--

Washington (2-2)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (1-3)

Detroit (0-3)

I know it was only 1 win, but if you look at the other teams with 1 win or less (14 of them), we seem to be better than most of them and have had the toughest schedule of the group.

Its too early to do any projections with this team because we don't know if a trade or injury will occur.

@ Kansas City (1-3)

@ Detroit (0-3)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-2)

--

@ St. Louis (2-2)

Denver (4-0)

@ Green Bay (4-0)

San Francisco (1-3)

--

Washington (2-2)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (1-3)

Detroit (0-3)

There is no doubt the defense continues to improve each week. Not knowing this defense like I did the previous two years I'm not going to expect they will regress. I'm convinced the combination of Fangio and Fox know what they are doing and won't allow it.

As much as I bang on Cutler I saw improvement in his play today. He was looking through progressions and seemed to be settled a bit better than he had been in weeks 1 and 2. There were a few drives where he plain got sloppy and in one of them he, and the team, paid for it. oddly enough I think his lack of mobility actually may have helped his game. It forced him to scan the field a little more. Another thing I did like about his play was the clock management. He used a lot of ample time in reading the pre-snap sets and got his offense set to where he thought it would best work. This is encouraging.

If Jay can simply not get tunnel vision and stay relaxed we may actually have something going here. I'm going to say that the team does better down the stretch. The losses and wins will be close pretty much the rest of the year.

There is no doubt the defense continues to improve each week. Not knowing this defense like I did the previous two years I'm not going to expect they will regress. I'm convinced the combination of Fangio and Fox know what they are doing and won't allow it.

As much as I bang on Cutler I saw improvement in his play today. He was looking through progressions and seemed to be settled a bit better than he had been in weeks 1 and 2. There were a few drives where he plain got sloppy and in one of them he, and the team, paid for it. oddly enough I think his lack of mobility actually may have helped his game. It forced him to scan the field a little more. Another thing I did like about his play was the clock management. He used a lot of ample time in reading the pre-snap sets and got his offense set to where he thought it would best work. This is encouraging.

If Jay can simply not get tunnel vision and stay relaxed we may actually have something going here. I'm going to say that the team does better down the stretch. The losses and wins will be close pretty much the rest of the year.

I agree with everything you wrote! I made the lack of mobility comment to my brother, maybe Cutler learns from this.

This is as good as Cutler has played since that 6 or 7 game stretch in 2010-2011 when he was in his 2nd year under Martz before he broke his thumb. He looked pretty good in year 1 under Trestman for a chunk of games too, but even now it looks better than that. I feel like he's completely comfortable with the play calling for maybe the first time in his career as a Bear.

This is as good as Cutler has played since that 6 or 7 game stretch in 2010-2011 when he was in his 2nd year under Martz before he broke his thumb. He looked pretty good in year 1 under Trestman for a chunk of games too, but even now it looks better than that. I feel like he's completely comfortable with the play calling for maybe the first time in his career as a Bear.

Totally agree!

Agree as well, should be interesting to see how this plays out. While he hasn't given us much to hang our hat on in the past, I don't think he's 100% unredeemable either. If he can put in a good season and play well this year, his contract does get cheaper going forward. Last offseason we were resigned to keeping him this year due to the contract and then unloading him after this year because he will be easier to shop. But If he proves to be a good fit for this offense then why not keep him but also bring in someone to groom. I think Jay is a system QB not one that can transcend systems. In the right offense he could flourish. Maybe thet offense is Gase's offense that finally is a system he fully trusts, and believes in and can excel in. Course that remains to be seen and we'll have to see how it plays out this year. But not out of the realm of possibility that Jay earns the job beyond this year. This season for the current roster is an audition for next year.

The schedule definitely is easier now, but the last 5 games in particular is when I think the Bears will rack up most of their remaining victories for the year. San Francisco is garbage. Washington is below average, Minnesota is good, Tampa sucks, and Detroit is probably below average now as well.

Having said that, these next 3-4 games are going to be difficult. We're 10 point underdogs against KC next week. I don't see a W there. I also can't imagine the Lions starting the year 0-6 by losing to the Bears. They always play much better at home, especially against the Bears. Minnesota and San Diego are winnable, but we won't be favored in either of those games. I see best case: 2-2, but more likely 1-3.

Detroit is a hot mess right now and riddled with injuries. All the next 4 defenses are in the bottom half of the league except MIN in scoring:

KC 29th yards, 32nd pts

DET 25th yards, 18th pts

MIN 17th yards, 6th pts

SD 15th yards, 28th pts

Every one of those games are winnable. Especially if we have Jeffery and Ratliff back.

I see the potential wins being:

SPlit w/ Minny. Split w/ Det. Tampon Bay. Frisco and Wash.

That would be 5 wins. We end 6-9.

@ Kansas City (1-3)

@ Detroit (0-3)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-2)

--

@ St. Louis (2-2)

Denver (4-0)

@ Green Bay (4-0)

San Francisco (1-3)

--

Washington (2-2)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (1-3)

Detroit (0-3)

I see the potential wins being:

SPlit w/ Minny. Split w/ Det. Tampon Bay. Frisco and Wash.

That would be 5 wins. We end 6-9.

How about KC and SD? We should split there as well, which would be 7-9 (6-9 leaves one game missing).

I would say anything over 6 wins is a success this year and shows progress. I think 7 wins is a realistic number.

Im done predicting because the amount of growth we could potentially see each week. OAK has a good offense and the Bears defense showed up to play and did really well. The last two years we have not seen the offense or defense get better. It was the same old same old week in and week out.

With coaching staff we should see each unit get better each week. There will be set backs, should be expected but we may see a completely different team by the end.

When is Alshon and Ratliff getting back? Both of these guys are key guys that should provide boosts when they get back to being healthy.

Any word on Rolle? Hope we don't lose him for too long.

Both are away games, so I don't expect the wins there reasonably speaking.

How about KC and SD? We should split there as well, which would be 7-9 (6-9 leaves one game missing).

I would say anything over 6 wins is a success this year and shows progress. I think 7 wins is a realistic number.

Both are away games, so I don't expect the wins there reasonably speaking.

Well, we won the first one, so at 2-3 and 11 games remaining, I am thinking 7-8 is still a realistic projection. We need to take care of business and beat teams we are supposed to beat.

@ Detroit (0-5)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-3)

--

@ St. Louis (2-3)

Denver (5-0)

@ Green Bay (5-0)

San Francisco (1-4)

--

Washington (2-3)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (2-3)

Detroit (0-5)

We can't let Detroit get past us. We are coming off a high and they off a low. The pressure is on us...

Well, we won the first one, so at 2-3 and 11 games remaining, I am thinking 7-8 is still a realistic projection. We need to take care of business and beat teams we are supposed to beat.

@ Detroit (0-5)

BYE

Minnesota (2-2)

@ San Diego (2-2)

--

@ St. Louis (2-3)

Denver (5-0)

@ Green Bay (5-0)

San Francisco (1-4)

--

Washington (2-3)

@ Minnesota (2-2)

@ Tampa Bay (2-3)

Detroit (0-5)

We can't let Detroit get past us. We are coming off a high and they off a low. The pressure is on us...

I consider this to be a huge game for us. Never mind that it's Detroit but to get back to .500 with 3 straight wins heading into the bye would be huge. Then of course beating a rival adds even more confidence

@ Detroit (0-5) Total cluster freak going on in Det right now, winnable game

BYE

Minnesota (2-2) at home, winnable

@ San Diego (2-3)tough road game, they just lost to Pit, winnable

--

@ St. Louis (2-3) tough away game, winnable

Denver (5-0)would predict a L on this one but you never know

@ Green Bay (5-0)Not winning this game

San Francisco (1-4)Fangio takes it out on his former team, W

--

Washington (2-3)W

@ Minnesota (2-2) W

@ Tampa Bay (2-3)W

Detroit (0-5)W

There you have it, the Bears will only lose two more games this year!!!! You heard it here first.

All joking aside, if the Bears can get healthy they may win more games then I thought they would.

Ill take a Bears win any way they can get them but winning on last second drives is not a high percentage way to do it. The offense will need to build some early leads at some point to keep winning.

This week I will be praying for Alshon to finally get back on the field. It would be nice to have our number 1 WR playing. IT would be really nice to get Royal back too.

Any word on Rolle or Shay??