The frustrating case of Alshon Jeffery

Alaskan Grizzly

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1012-story.html

So, where does the team stand? When you have players like Porter and Cutler (yes I said Cutler) who can somehow play "hurt" with a bad hammy...this continues with AJ? I know he needs to be near 100% to be really effective but c'mon! Theoretically since he's not doing much now he won't have much value come 'new contract' or when other teams come sniffing.

I believe Alshon's injury is tied to his calf as well. Which if both are ailing, there is not much you can do. The calf is actually harder to run on when injured unless you run flat footed.

To me this may be better salary cap wise because there is no way he is going to get AJ Green type money (4/$60mil) or Bryant/Thomas type of money (5/$70mil). Maclin just got 5/$55, so I would assume Jeffery's high is going to be near Maclin's $11/yr and a low around $9 (which would be the 13th highest WR contract per year). So shooting darts in the middle, that is about $10mil a year over 5 yrs.

We have enough cap space to extend Jeffery, Long, and re-sign Acho, Jenkins, and Porter to new deals (as long as they keep up their play).

There is so much we don't know about his injury. It could be in one of 3 hamstring (biceps femoris, semitendinosis, semimembranosis). It matters where it is. The strain could be between a grade I-III. Grade IV would be a full tear and he wouldn't walk the sideline. It could be in the belly of the muscle or closer to the attachment. Personally, with every win his value goes down in other's estimation of his value. 10 games in less than 2 seasons is not a person you want to throw a lot of guaranteed money at.

Franchise him after the season. Just letting him walk is a terrible idea IMO.

Completely agree. As Connor said though, there is next to no way he gets big money. Even if he does come back and help the team keep winning.

This is not the first time he's had nagging injuries in his short career.

Jeffrey is going to get paid very well. He won't be among the elite WRs money but he'll be right behind them.

Porter is not playing with a bad hamstring, recall he missed about 6 or 7 weeks (including preseason) recovering before showing up the last few games. Even in his first game back he had a grand total of 5 snaps.

Cutler is playing with a bad hamstring but he also does not have to run, cut, and jump like a WR. Recall he did not run out of the pocket last week and just this week started looking a bit better but he's not at full speed.

Jeffrey is going to get paid very well. He won't be among the elite WRs money but he'll be right behind them.

Porter is not playing with a bad hamstring, recall he missed about 6 or 7 weeks (including preseason) recovering before showing up the last few games. Even in his first game back he had a grand total of 5 snaps.

Cutler is playing with a bad hamstring but he also does not have to run, cut, and jump like a WR. Recall he did not run out of the pocket last week and just this week started looking a bit better but he's not at full speed.

At the risk of being labeled a "troll"... http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tracy-porter-player-injuries

Perhaps he's not playing at the moment with a bad hammy he certainly has a history of it. And more to my point is that these guys (Porter and Cutler) are playing regardless of their positions where AJ is not. And as I said earlier he's got a history of injury. all that equals him being labeled as a risk, fair or not. Sitting out doesn't help his case.

He'll be fine, come on back 100% after the bye when they're 3-3 and help take this team to the playoffs.

Franchise him after the season. Just letting him walk is a terrible idea IMO.

Not sure we make the playoffs though. We'd have to sneak in as a wild card. While our division has proven to be weaker than thought, we still have that huge monkey on our back that will keep us from taking the division. Till we can overcome Green Bay we will have to make the playoffs the hard way as one on of the last wild card teams. If we can stay competitive and win enough games to keep ourselves in the playoff bubble conversation who knows. I haven't really looked at who our competition might be for the last couple wild card spots.

I am not implying I would still want B Marsh on our team but I bet he would be playing now if he was having an injury similar to Jeffrey. I still think he is not putting himself forward to play because he is a free agent next year and wants to be fully healed after this season. I bet if the Bears signed him to a long term deal this weak he would play on Sunday.

I would franchise him next year and see how White does next season and then look to trade him.

He is injury prone and what is the use of having pro bowl talent on the sidelines apart from eating up useful cap space.

At the risk of being labeled a "troll"... http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tracy-porter-player-injuries

Perhaps he's not playing at the moment with a bad hammy he certainly has a history of it. And more to my point is that these guys (Porter and Cutler) are playing regardless of their positions where AJ is not. And as I said earlier he's got a history of injury. all that equals him being labeled as a risk, fair or not. Sitting out doesn't help his case.

I agree on his history and I don't even expect Porter to make it through the rest of the season. I was a bit surprised he even made the team given how much time he missed in preseason. Now we see why they kept him around. We'll just take what we can get out of him this year and likely move on to a younger player next year.