Bears Waive Hurst Sign Callahan (again)

AZ54

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1019-story.html

I'm pretty sure Callahan played poorly on special teams earlier in the year giving up the early kickoff TD to Cardinals and was put back to the practice squad so there isn't much to like about this move. At one point on the sidelines Hurst was shown trying to loosen up a hamstring. I have no idea if he's injured (two weeks before next game?) or what he did to lose his job after helping force that second punt turnover by pushing Fuller into the ball.

Why not keep Hurst AND Callahan, then cut Mariani?

That seems like the better option.

FWIW, Mariani ranks 7th in kick return average. I think we are both spoiled by having Hester for years and envious by the fact that other teams are going off on our special teams unit

Mariani is certainly not dynamic by any means but judging by the fact he ranks 7th in kick return average, he's also not the biggest issue in the world.

FWIW, Mariani ranks 7th in kick return average. I think we are both spoiled by having Hester for years and envious by the fact that other teams are going off on our special teams unit

Mariani is certainly not dynamic by any means but judging by the fact he ranks 7th in kick return average, he's also not the biggest issue in the world.

He's not the biggest issue we have by far but if he keeps running scared his replacement is going to show up sooner than he thinks.

He's 7th in "qualified players" (which is shocking). He's 23rd total return guys. And he's about 100th in terms of "which player is the opposing team worried about breaking a return for a TD".

Not the biggest issue in the world, but there are faster, more explosive players on the team, and I wish they'd let someone else take a shot at returning the ball.

He's 7th in "qualified players" (which is shocking). He's 23rd total return guys. And he's about 100th in terms of "which player is the opposing team worried about breaking a return for a TD".

Not the biggest issue in the world, but there are faster, more explosive players on the team, and I wish they'd let someone else take a shot at returning the ball.

Who though? I know Mariani can't be the most explosive guy on the team, but I'm having a hard time figuring out who is. I know Royal is the backup punt returner, and I read that Fuller was fielding punts and is the 3rd string punt returner. I assume those are the backup kick returners as well.

This team def lacks speed. Senorice Perry and Jalen Saunders(PS) are both hurt and are the only real burners on the team right now. Maybe they try Langford?

Bears should def look into a kick returner in the draft, because I do agree that Mariani is upgradeable.

Edit- Totally forgot they grabbed Antone Smith who is/was really fast. Not sure how age and injury have hampered that.