LT Competition

AZ54

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post...nd-charles-leno

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- There is uncertainty surrounding the Chicago Bears' left tackle position since Charles Leno played reasonably well filling in for veteran Jermon Bushrod (concussion/shoulder) the past three games.

“When you guys figure it out let me know,” offensive line coach Dave Magazu said. “I don’t know. I haven’t gotten that far. That will be something we discuss and move on from there. I don’t know. I’m not even lying. And I don’t have a problem lying to you guys.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bushrod has struggled with speed as usual but I think he's the better run blocker. Leno is the opposite and handles pass rushes from guys like Ansah without issue. These coaches don't pull punches and they are serious about putting their best players on the field and you know they have their eye moreso on the future than this season. This will be interesting to see what happens coming out of the bye week.

I think having Leno beat out Bushrod would be the best. We need youth...

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post...nd-charles-leno

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- There is uncertainty surrounding the Chicago Bears' left tackle position since Charles Leno played reasonably well filling in for veteran Jermon Bushrod (concussion/shoulder) the past three games.

“When you guys figure it out let me know,” offensive line coach Dave Magazu said. “I don’t know. I haven’t gotten that far. That will be something we discuss and move on from there. I don’t know. I’m not even lying. And I don’t have a problem lying to you guys.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bushrod has struggled with speed as usual but I think he's the better run blocker. Leno is the opposite and handles pass rushes from guys like Ansah without issue. These coaches don't pull punches and they are serious about putting their best players on the field and you know they have their eye moreso on the future than this season. This will be interesting to see what happens coming out of the bye week.

Does anyone know what the salary cap implications are of cutting or trading Bushrod at the end of the year?

Peace :bringit

I thought I read that all of his guaranteed money was done after this year. Not sure about salary cap ramifications if cut.

Yeah, did see the responses below.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jermon-bushrod/

I think having Leno beat out Bushrod would be the best. We need youth...

If they are truly comparable, and the small sample size says there isn't a huge difference between the two, the smarter choice is younger & cheaper, obviously.

Leno has looked good at LT. He held his own against the #1 sack leader in the league last week, and the week before he showed some flashes against that dynamic pass rushing combination of the Chiefs. Bushrod hasn't played well this year when he's been in there. No brainer decision if you ask me, especially given the youth and the current direction of the team.

Sometimes guys put in the right position at the right time succeed. The Bears have been terrible at putting players at wrong positions previously. Hope he works out and can hold that spot for years. Finding a RG would be the next piece. Unless the 7th rd kid we drafted this year can come in and win the RT and move Long back inside. Regardless an olineman will be needed to groom to replace Slausen eventually.