Great read on Cutler

Chitownhustla

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2580349...ened-from-there

From the article it sounds like Josh McDaniels is a super douche. This article is from a former scouting guy with Denver. You don't normally get this much first hand details in the sporting world.

More then from a former scouting guy, it was from his former GM. I thought it was a really good article as well. The parts on Mcdaniels are just brutal. Interesting how it seemed like Jay was never really put in a spot to succeed but you could see the difference in terms of what Denver tried to do for Jay vs. what the Bears didn't really do up until about 3 years ago (and even then, it was half assed cause it was the wrong coaching and constant turns). I'm really hoping Jay / Gase can work with each other for a while (as an OC and then maybe eventually as a HC after Fox retires...cause that would mean things went well all the way around).

Very insightful. I still say, right now, odds are looking better and better that in the 2nd round, a pretty solid QB talent could be their whom we could take and groom (whether its PSU's QB whose supposedly talented but hasn't put it all together or even someone like Connor Cook...just seems like their won't be a bunch of QB's in round 1 this year). It would free up the Bears ability to target an athletic linebacker, talented olineman, or an elite looking corner.

Yeah, McDaniels is a douche. He's probably surviving in NE because Belicheck is a douche too.

Def wanna see Jay stay another year if he continues playing the way he is. There is still guaranteed money there, and we've been in every game he's been out there despite a plethora of injuries.

He could be even better next year with White and a probable upgrade on the OL.

I would go with a mid round guy to be the back up for a year or a few.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2580349...ened-from-there

From the article it sounds like Josh McDaniels is a super douche. This article is from a former scouting guy with Denver. You don't normally get this much first hand details in the sporting world.

Thanks for posting. I was attempting to post this yesterday but my phone hates the copy and paste. My jaw dropped after I read the whole thing. I knew things had to have been bad in Denver because teams don't just trade pro bowl young qb's like that. Really does do a # for mcdaniels being a real douche and probably the reason he failed as miserably as he did and it of course negatively affected the development of a franchise guy. Truly is sad what all transpired

It's amazing how spot on the scouting report was on him. He's still the same QB he always has been. We can win with him, we just can not win despite him.

I wonder how good he might have been if he was allowed to properly develop. IMO this is the problem the nfl faces. To many early round draft picks are thrown to the wolves immediately without being able to learn and then when things go south the coaching staff is fired and he's left behind with no one who wants to develop him. I miss the days in the past where rookie qb's were given the ability to sit behind on the bench and properly learn how to play

More then from a former scouting guy, it was from his former GM. I thought it was a really good article as well. The parts on Mcdaniels are just brutal. Interesting how it seemed like Jay was never really put in a spot to succeed but you could see the difference in terms of what Denver tried to do for Jay vs. what the Bears didn't really do up until about 3 years ago (and even then, it was half assed cause it was the wrong coaching and constant turns). I'm really hoping Jay / Gase can work with each other for a while (as an OC and then maybe eventually as a HC after Fox retires...cause that would mean things went well all the way around).

Very insightful. I still say, right now, odds are looking better and better that in the 2nd round, a pretty solid QB talent could be their whom we could take and groom (whether its PSU's QB whose supposedly talented but hasn't put it all together or even someone like Connor Cook...just seems like their won't be a bunch of QB's in round 1 this year). It would free up the Bears ability to target an athletic linebacker, talented olineman, or an elite looking corner.

Very good take, almost exactly what I was thinking. Although, I think we should be targeting that QB in the 3rd or 4th (maybe later). There are a lot of guys this year, and the Bears still need talent at several positions before a backup, developmental QB.

Great article. What I found most interesting was the scouting report line about the lack of confidence. It's a contradiction in that on the field he felt he had to make it happen and it worked in high school and for the most part at Vanderbilt simply because he was able to make that team competitive. Knowing he lacked some self-confidence and carry that over to the NFL where everyone critiques everything you do it's easy to see why he became so reclusive and standoffish.

Urlacher's comments and cold locker room reception certainly didn't inspire any confidence that his new teammates accepted him. Mix in Lovie's lack of knowledge of what an offense should be doing basically just handed it all to Cutler and said make it happen. The team that got off the bus running usually got on the field passing and if that didn't work whose fault was it? Rinse and repeat each week after saying we're going to run the ball.

Roll that up along with the years of media and fan backlash and it fits perfectly with the moody guy we often saw. It's common to see someone who lacks confidence get defensive or lash out a bit at those who challenge them. Or even just go stand off to the side by themselves so they don't have to hear it. That horrible game after Kromer publicly criticized Cutler and Trestman did nothing about it. That's not how you build confidence in a player.

Enter last offseason after his big contract and subsequent complete tear down of the Emery/Trestman era. Suddenly we heard Cutler speak like the guy next door with humility, acceptance, and understanding. For the first time we saw a guy that was confident in just being himself even while he acknowledged his own shortcomings and responsibility for what had happened.

I think that is what we see now when he's in the pocket. He's no longer approaching it from the standpoint of "I have to make a play... or else" to now being confident he can find the best play out there even if the best option is taking a sack for a loss. He's stayed that way despite losing 2 Olinemen and 3 WRs to injury, despite playing from behind late in games, despite throwing INTs or fumbling in the end zone, and despite other players making some critical mistakes like dropped passes.

Having been a long-time Cutler critic, this article does help explain much, as AZ54 pointed out. I won't say I am on the band wagon but it is obvious that he is our best option right now and I can see the logic in saying that he has never worked in an offensive system with the Bears long enough to get it mastered nor has he had solid offensive lines. I hope that he continues to progress and surprises me, there is no doubt that he has all of the tools.

I missed that he was the GM. I agree the Bears traded for him and thought he would be able to do it all by himself. I'm sorry but no QB would have performed well with the Oline and WR's Jay had the first three years. Once the Bears added some real weapons and improved the oline the coaching staff under Trestman was really terrible. At the same time I am not saying Jay does not deserve some of the blame. He has made alot of mistakes and has not lived up to potential. I think this year he is in situation where he can succeed, maybe not in the win and loss column but on an individual level. If he continues to play the way he has played the first 6 weeks of the season I will be very happy. I think the Bears roll with him for another year and draft a back up in the later rounds to bring along slowly.

It's amazing how spot on the scouting report was on him. He's still the same QB he always has been. We can win with him, we just can not win despite him.

I agree, with a well run organization Cutler can be a winning QB. What I mean by well run organization, GM supplying a talented group (Offense and Defense), a well balanced team. An offense that is built well, strong Oline, decent weapons to run and throw to. Good Coaching staff, that can actually develop the talent they have.

Lovie could develop talent on the Defense, just lacked on the Offense side of the ball.

Right now Fox, Gase and Fangio can develop talent on both sides of the ball but there is lack of talent on the D. Pace needs to fix that. I think the O has plenty of talent, could prolly be a little stronger on the Oline but that is about it.

Cutler needs to continue his growth in this system and not revert back to BAD JAY, if he does that i can see the Bears rolling with Jay next year.