Why all the HC Talk?

AZ54

I'm watching this week's press conference's and there are a lot of questions to Adam Gase about him being a HC next season and to Fox about his assistants becoming HC next season. I'm impressed with our coaching staff and I think going forward into next season we'll see some very good things. However, right now when you step back and look at the entire league how many owners and GMs really want to pursue the assistants from a 2-5 team? Especially two assistants (Gase and Fangio) who did not get chosen last year after all the success they had at their previous jobs.

I think our media and fans are way over-estimating league-wide reactions to our team. Yes, Cutler is playing much better than in years past but is what he's done in Gase's offense really going to stand out to someone looking for greatness in his next HC? If you are the owner is this what you sell to your fans to by season tickets by bringing in the coach of a 2-5 team? Any team searching for a new HC, with rare exception like Denver last year, is a bad team. Fans want some proven success over the long term and we were no different last year when Pace was searching for a HC.

Based on total yards thrown Cutler ranks 27th in the league. Our entire offense is ranked 27th in yards per game. We all know the injuries we've dealt with and can see the production despite that but I highly doubt that is as visible to outsiders as compared to what the assistants on teams like the Bengals, Cardinals, and Patriots (always while Brady is there even though they all fail without Brady) have done this season. Even Houston's offense with no QB of note is ranked 8th in yards per game. If you want a guy that's getting something out of nothing I'd start there. Team stats are similar for the defensive side of the ball...29th in points per game except we are a surprising 9th in yards/game. So if you are considering Fangio for HC now you ask yourself was that 49ers defense good because of Fangio or was it because of Harbaugh?

I'm on board with these coaches 100% as I believe they have done very well with the talent they have. However, I think outsiders will sit back and wait to see what they can do over a two or three seasons before they become the hot HC candidates. They'll probably get some interest this offseason but I don't think it will "top of the list" type headlines.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy watching the media congratulate our coaching staff at the halfway point of a 2-5 season. That surely is something none of us have ever seen.

My two cents. I think a lot of it is based on last year in a lot of ways. Most realized the abysmal condition our team was in and since Fox has come in and despite being 2-5, the team is a more "respectable" 2-5 (if you can say that) than their record indicates. Most of the losses have been minimal not blowouts.

Throw in that the defense, although completely re-engineered from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and has a ton of youth has a lot of weight . And they are still holoding their own. I think and continuing to use last year as a gauge names like Pace and Fangio, who were both front runners, haven't really hurt their stock. (Some may consider Gase a wunderkid or miracle worker for the reasons you list). Especially if they manage the team to .500 (or better) record. Then all bets are off. So yes we can probably expect our team will get a lot of scrutiny for the remainder of the year.

One quick last thought. I'm of the opinion that there may be an agreement of some sort between Fox and Gase and Bears management that allows Gase to become HC when Fox retires. Not sure exactly when that will be whether it's this year or next. But something I've considered since they interviewed Gase last year for the HC job and despite not getting it still came over as OC.

My two cents. I think a lot of it is based on last year in a lot of ways. Most realized the abysmal condition our team was in and since Fox has come in and despite being 2-5, the team is a more "respectable" 2-5 (if you can say that) than their record indicates. Most of the losses have been minimal not blowouts.

Throw in that the defense, although completely re-engineered from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and has a ton of youth has a lot of weight . And they are still holoding their own. I think and continuing to use last year as a gauge names like Pace and Fangio, who were both front runners, haven't really hurt their stock. (Some may consider Gase a wunderkid or miracle worker for the reasons you list). Especially if they manage the team to .500 (or better) record. Then all bets are off. So yes we can probably expect our team will get a lot of scrutiny for the remainder of the year.

One quick last thought. I'm of the opinion that there may be an agreement of some sort between Fox and Gase and Bears management that allows Gase to become HC when Fox retires. Not sure exactly when that will be whether it's this year or next. But something I've considered since they interviewed Gase last year for the HC job and despite not getting it still came over as OC.

I can see that happening, but ifGase gets an offer next year, Fox wont be turning over the reins until he sees success. Maybe 3 years from now, if that is the end of his contract.Gase will be long gone.

There was an interview with Gase about a month ago and I can't find the link now. When asked about his future and HC prospects he spoke very long term about the Bears in a way that made me think he has been given an indication he'd be considered for replacing Fox down the road. Gase is very young and I don't think he's ready for that transition to HC yet. By his own words he's still learning how to be an OC.

There was an interview with Gase about a month ago and I can't find the link now. When asked about his future and HC prospects he spoke very long term about the Bears in a way that made me think he has been given an indication he'd be considered for replacing Fox down the road. Gase is very young and I don't think he's ready for that transition to HC yet. By his own words he's still learning how to be an OC.

I was looking for that article and found something else intriguing in the Tribune that I didn't know before. Apparently Gase was also a candidate for the SF HC job but didn't like the management "heavy-handedness" and wanted to keep Fangio on as DC but they weren't interested. He ultimately chose Chicago as did Vic. It would seem viable that we could lose both in a manner of ways.

Even though Gase interviewed for a couple of HC jobs, I believe some in the NFL circles want to see him succeed away from Peyton Manning for a couple of years before truly considering him for a HC gig.

If he gets 3 years with the Bears and Cutler, and Cutler improves or plays at a higher level than before, Gase's football acumen will be validated and he would almost assuredly get a HC opportunity. I just don't see that after one-year unless we somehow make the playoffs (which is highly unlikely).

Is there any history of OC or DC's being hired as a new HC coming from a losing team? Answer over last 3 years:

1. Mike Pettine (CLE) who came from a team with a losing record the year prior who never had HC experience before. However, he came from Buffalo as the DC where they had multiple years of top 10 defenses. He is on the borderline hot seat.

2. Rob Chudzinski (CLE) who came from a 7-9 Carolina Panthers team (he was fired after one season).

Other Coordinators that got jobs in the last few years (Quinn-ATL, Bowles-ARZ, Zimmer-MIN, Gruden-WAS, McCoy-DEN, Bradley-JAX) all came from winning teams.

So unless Cleveland hires Gase, I don't think other teams are going to take the risk as recent history clearly shows when teams go for Coordinators as HC's, 31 teams in the league go for Coordinators from a winning team.

Even though Gase interviewed for a couple of HC jobs, I believe some in the NFL circles want to see him succeed away from Peyton Manning for a couple of years before truly considering him for a HC gig.

If he gets 3 years with the Bears and Cutler, and Cutler improves or plays at a higher level than before, Gase's football acumen will be validated and he would almost assuredly get a HC opportunity. I just don't see that after one-year unless we somehow make the playoffs (which is highly unlikely).

Is there any history of OC or DC's being hired as a new HC coming from a losing team? Answer over last 3 years:

1. Mike Pettine (CLE) who came from a team with a losing record the year prior who never had HC experience before. However, he came from Buffalo as the DC where they had multiple years of top 10 defenses. He is on the borderline hot seat.

2. Rob Chudzinski (CLE) who came from a 7-9 Carolina Panthers team (he was fired after one season).

Other Coordinators that got jobs in the last few years (Quinn-ATL, Bowles-ARZ, Zimmer-MIN, Gruden-WAS, McCoy-DEN, Bradley-JAX) all came from winning teams.

So unless Cleveland hires Gase, I don't think other teams are going to take the risk as recent history clearly shows when teams go for Coordinators as HC's, 31 teams in the league go for Coordinators from a winning team.

I agree, the GM/owner has to sell the hiring decision to the players and also to the fans. When you are rebuilding it takes time of course but start off with a losing record with a coach who came from a team with a losing record and doubt and second guessing creep in everywhere by the end of the first season. The Bears sit at 2-5 but there is patience in Chicago largely because Fox, Fangio, and to a lesser extent Gase have proven themselves at previous stops. The special teams coach gets no such pass.

With better play calling in past games we should be 5-2 and not 2-5.We should have beaten Green Bay, lost to the Lions & Vikings on bad time management. Only real LOST was to the Seahawks and the Cardinals.

Gase could easily get a HC this off season and just as easily not. If you fix Cutler you will get offers, how soon we will find out this off season.

Hopefully he wont take the first one offered, if I were him I would be selective with which job I took. No reason to take the Browns (just using a job I wouldn't take as an example) job if it opened up. He has already shown the willingness to not take a job if it wasn't the right fit.

I hope the Bears get 2 or 3 years with Gase, 3 seems to me to be pushing it but I can hope.

Gase could easily get a HC this off season and just as easily not. If you fix Cutler you will get offers, how soon we will find out this off season.

Hopefully he wont take the first one offered, if I were him I would be selective with which job I took. No reason to take the Browns (just using a job I wouldn't take as an example) job if it opened up. He has already shown the willingness to not take a job if it wasn't the right fit.

I hope the Bears get 2 or 3 years with Gase, 3 seems to me to be pushing it but I can hope.

Good points. I hope that leads to our staff staying together next year, with the exception of getting a new ST coach.

Good points. I hope that leads to our staff staying together next year, with the exception of getting a new ST coach.

Our coaching is our strength, but we lack talent. If we had one playmaker on defense at each level we would be winning. A top notch safety, a stud in the middle and one difference maker up front. McPhee has been good but you add a few more playmakers and we start to roll. It will take one more draft, maybe two. Goldman could end up being a really good player, but who else gives you that impression? on defense