Has Cutler finally turned the corner?

adam

Cutler is on a current run of solid play that is longer than any other time in his career. Everyone always talks to Cutler's inconsistency or the Good Jay Bad Jay, etc. Looking over his Game Logs, you can see that was indeed the case for most of his early career. However, it looks like we have entered a new era and the sample size is large enough to believe it will continue.

Starting in the Arizona game, he now has 6 straight games with a QB Rating above 88, and even excluding the partial game, he has 5 straight games with a QB Rating of 88.4 or higher. Looking back at his Game Logs, the closest run was 6 games to start 2014 where he was 82.5 or higher. Before that stretch, he never had more than 3 straight games above 80. That is crazy.

Grouping his games with 20 or more attempts and an 80 QB Rating or higher, this is how his career has played out:

2009 - 6/15, 40%

2010 - 9/14, 64%

2011 - 5/8, 62.5%

2012 - 8/14, 57%

--------------------

2013 - 7/10, 70%

2014 - 10/15, 66.6%

2015 - 5/6, 83.3%

So since Week 1 of 2013, Cutler has had a QB Rating of 80 or higher in 71% of his games with 20 or more passes, up 16% from 2010-2012 of 55%. Also, his current rate this year of 83.3% is his best run yet.

To further support this theory, look at his INTs (which are obviously tied to QB Rating).

His longest consecutive games with 0 or 1 INTs with the Bears is 6 games in 2012 (he had 7 in Denver in 2008). If you count the ARZ game, that is 7, and even without it, he has now had 6 straight games with 1 or fewer INTs.

One other indirect stat that is tied to wins is the Opponent's score in losses. From 2013 until today, in games that Cutler played in, the Bears have 20 losses, and 14 of them (70%) have occurred when the opponent's scored 30 or more. From 2010-2012, we had 13 losses and only 2 games where the opponent scored 30+ (15%). Again that is crazy. We basically had no chance in 70% of our losses. In the 6 games where we lost and the opponent's scored less than 30, 4 of those were decided by 3 points or less.

To further the point about the defense, we have only lost one game since the start of 2011 where the opponents scored less than 20 and Cutler played the entire game. If you count total games, then two, last season's finale against Minnesota where we lost 13-9 and a 13-6 loss against Houston in 2012. You would have to go back to 2010 to find other games where we lost when we held the opponents under 20.

I know everyone has mixed feelings about Cutler, but if the new Cutler is going to be the Cutler for the next few years, it would be hard to let him go and expect a rookie to jump right in and produce at the same level. I really believe that Gase and Fox have had a positive impact on Cutler. He is still going to have some bad games and ill-advised throws, but those seem like they will be few and farther between from now on.

TLDR; Cutler now has a decent sample size to show improvement and consistency this season and his career is trending upwards, though it may be hard to see with how the entire team and defense have played.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler is on a current run of solid play that is longer than any other time in his career. Everyone always talks to Cutler's inconsistency or the Good Jay Bad Jay, etc. Looking over his Game Logs, you can see that was indeed the case for most of his early career. However, it looks like we have entered a new era and the sample size is large enough to believe it will continue.

Starting in the Arizona game, he now has 6 straight games with a QB Rating above 88, and even excluding the partial game, he has 5 straight games with a QB Rating of 88.4 or higher. Looking back at his Game Logs, the closest run was 6 games to start 2014 where he was 82.5 or higher. Before that stretch, he never had more than 3 straight games above 80. That is crazy.

Grouping his games with 20 or more attempts and an 80 QB Rating or higher, this is how his career has played out:

2009 - 6/15, 40%

2010 - 9/14, 64%

2011 - 5/8, 62.5%

2012 - 8/14, 57%

--------------------

2013 - 7/10, 70%

2014 - 10/15, 66.6%

2015 - 5/6, 83.3%

So since Week 1 of 2013, Cutler has had a QB Rating of 80 or higher in 71% of his games with 20 or more passes, up 16% from 2010-2012 of 55%. Also, his current rate this year of 83.3% is his best run yet.

To further support this theory, look at his INTs (which are obviously tied to QB Rating).

His longest consecutive games with 0 or 1 INTs with the Bears is 6 games in 2012 (he had 7 in Denver in 2008). If you count the ARZ game, that is 7, and even without it, he has now had 6 straight games with 1 or fewer INTs.

One other indirect stat that is tied to wins is the Opponent's score in losses. From 2013 until today, in games that Cutler played in, the Bears have 20 losses, and 14 of them (70%) have occurred when the opponent's scored 30 or more. From 2010-2012, we had 13 losses and only 2 games where the opponent scored 30+ (15%). Again that is crazy. We basically had no chance in 70% of our losses. In the 6 games where we lost and the opponent's scored less than 30, 4 of those were decided by 3 points or less.

To further the point about the defense, we have only lost one game since the start of 2011 where the opponents scored less than 20 and Cutler played the entire game. If you count total games, then two, last season's finale against Minnesota where we lost 13-9 and a 13-6 loss against Houston in 2012. You would have to go back to 2010 to find other games where we lost when we held the opponents under 20.

I know everyone has mixed feelings about Cutler, but if the new Cutler is going to be the Cutler for the next few years, it would be hard to let him go and expect a rookie to jump right in and produce at the same level. I really believe that Gase and Fox have had a positive impact on Cutler. He is still going to have some bad games and ill-advised throws, but those seem like they will be few and farther between from now on.

TLDR; Cutler now has a decent sample size to show improvement and consistency this season and his career is trending upwards, though it may be hard to see with how the entire team and defense have played.

Great post. If he continues with this play for the whole season I will believe it. He will prolly have an off game or two but every QB does. He has limited his WTF moments which is mine and everyone's gripe. He has done this being under constant pressure due to a oline unit that is a work in progress.

Cutler is the only reason we have won any game and been close to winning 2 or 3 others.

6 yards down the field and Verrett is all over AJ

aj1.png

Verrett pulling at AJ's arm as he stops his route (right where ball will be thrown)

aj2.png

Verrett still pulling at AJ's arm as Alshon's momentum carries him away from spot

aj4.png

Alshon is now falling towards camera and losing his balance (as depicted by right arm way out)

aj5.png

Verrett still all over Alshon pulling on jersey to get around him (ball is released)

aj6.png

Momentum of pull moves Alshon away from ball path as Verrett moves in behind

aj7.png

Ball is thrown right where Jeffery was when ball was released

aj8.png

The first frame and last frame superimposed:

picture1.png

If Alshon is not pulled off the spot and gets a clean stop, he is clearly in line to make the catch with ease.

2nd frame and last frame superimposed:

aj22.png

To me this looks like a back shoulder throw that Verrett pulled Alshon away from and used his momentum to move him off his spot.

6 yards down the field and Verrett is all over AJ

aj1.png

Verrett pulling at AJ's arm as he stops his route (right where ball will be thrown)

aj2.png

Verrett still pulling at AJ's arm as Alshon's momentum carries him away from spot

aj4.png

Alshon is now falling towards camera and losing his balance (as depicted by right arm way out)

aj5.png

Verrett still all over Alshon pulling on jersey to get around him (ball is released)

aj6.png

Momentum of pull moves Alshon away from ball path as Verrett moves in behind

aj7.png

Ball is thrown right where Jeffery was when ball was released

aj8.png

Nice work on the screen shots. I remembered the jersey pull on the inside shoulder as Alshon was leaning into his break. The official is right there but cannot see through Alshon so no PI call is made. It happens in games, sometimes we'll get the benefit of the break and sometimes we won't.

Nice work on the screen shots. I remembered the jersey pull on the inside shoulder as Alshon was leaning into his break. The official is right there but cannot see through Alshon so no PI call is made. It happens in games, sometimes we'll get the benefit of the break and sometimes we won't.

If you look at the official, he is not even looking at them until the 2nd to last screen grab and misses all the contact.

Cutler already throwing to spot, Verrett with full hand of jersey

aja1.png

Cutler with ball almost released, Verrett pulling on arm

aja2.png

Ball is out, Verrett pulling Alshon away from ball as he stumbles forward

aja3.png

Alshon now a good 2-3 steps from original spot and Verrett using leverage against Alshon to drive on ball

aja4.png

Just another view showing it wasn't a horrible throw. Verrett clearly got away with one there.

Officiating is just really poor in particular this season...

aja1.png

aja2.png

aja3.png

Alshon now a good 2-3 steps from original spot and Verrett using leverage against Alshon to drive on ball

aja4.png

Just another view showing it wasn't a horrible throw. Verrett clearly got away with one there.

Officiating is just really poor in particular this season...

Yeah and we have been on the short end a lot. To me it is hard to imagine every official on the field misses that hold when that is where the ball was going. How many times do we get calls away from the ball, but in this case they miss that much holding which is clearly visible from multiple angles.

I'm hoping the karma pendulum swings the other way next season...both in officiating and injuries!

Yeah and we have been on the short end a lot. To me it is hard to imagine every official on the field misses that hold when that is where the ball was going. How many times do we get calls away from the ball, but in this case they miss that much holding which is clearly visible from multiple angles.

aja1.png

aja2.png

aja3.png

aja4.png

At the risk of hurting Hustla's sensitive proclivities (because I'm going negative for a minute) but not sure how you can see that AJ was "pulled". If you look at the video from the game he made a decisive cut TO HIS LEFT as if to catch the ball inside. If, as you suggested, he was "pulled" inside I think we would have seen him turn right and would have been facing more to his right looking over his right shoulder while FALLING to his left. Whether or not there was contact between he and the defender, in this instance, is of no consequence. Gruden even pointed out that AJ and Cutler had done this same play five times the week prior when playing Minnesota. In fact Gruden further pointed out that Verrette (who had presumably been studying film) said he was going to jump that route. And guess what...he did. Sweet top it all you want, Cutler made an error. This doesn't completely debunk your theory but here's a comment from Cutler in the Chicago Tribune. "I felt like (Jeffery) got pulled (inside) a little bit," Cutler said. "I put the ball where I wanted it. It should have been a completion." The way I see it you should be asking how do you translate; "...I put the ball where I wanted"? I know, I know most of you will point out that 'yeah but..this or that' I'm just telling you what I saw and have been seeing. This from an ESPN tweet earlier today: "Jay Cutler has the 2nd most turnovers (160) since 2007. Eli Manning has the most with 181." Thing to note here is that Eli has two SB wins in that timeframe. I know, I know... 'But Lovie didn't do this, and Emery did this, and Webb sucked, and on and on....' Again apologists aside, it is what it is. I've said it once I'll say it again, others (QB's) have faced as much or more adversity and still managed to do more.

So looking at this last week's competition; San Diego. Formerly ranked 2-6 and now 2-7 where did they rank in total defense? 20th. Where do the next three opponents rank? The Rams (5th), Denver (1) and GB (23rd). I might add Cutler is 1-11 versus GB in the last 12 meetings (or something similar). Anyhow, my point that if he plays as well as he has been as of late, against respectable teams without making these potentially game changing mistakes then maybe I'll back down my rhetoric and doubt.

Shifting my thinking to the positive, if only for a minute. From the same Tribune article I referred to earlier, this from Jeffery right after that interception: "When we came to the sideline, I told Jay on the next play we just need a go route. I don't care what the coverage is. Let's go right back at him." On the next snap, Cutler went back to Jeffery, back at Verrett, connecting on a deep ball up the right sideline for 47 yards." To that end, I'm very encouraged that Cutler did not give up. I'm glad he persevered and played to the last whistle. As a fan, that's all I can ask for. He did good. And admittedly is looking more comfortable in Gase's system...against weaker teams. These next few weeks will be a true test. And no Hustla, Stringer or anyone else who insists I'm "hoping" for Jay to screw up, I'm not.

At the risk of hurting Hustla's sensitive proclivities (because I'm going negative for a minute) but not sure how you can see that AJ was "pulled". If you look at the video from the game he made a decisive cut TO HIS LEFT as if to catch the ball inside. If, as you suggested, he was "pulled" inside I think we would have seen him turn right and would have been facing more to his right looking over his right shoulder while FALLING to his left. Whether or not there was contact between he and the defender, in this instance, is of no consequence. Gruden even pointed out that AJ and Cutler had done this same play five times the week prior when playing Minnesota. In fact Gruden further pointed out that Verrette (who had presumably been studying film) said he was going to jump that route. And guess what...he did. Sweet top it all you want, Cutler made an error. This doesn't completely debunk your theory but here's a comment from Cutler in the Chicago Tribune. "I felt like (Jeffery) got pulled (inside) a little bit," Cutler said. "I put the ball where I wanted it. It should have been a completion." The way I see it you should be asking how do you translate; "...I put the ball where I wanted"? I know, I know most of you will point out that 'yeah but..this or that' I'm just telling you what I saw and have been seeing. This from an ESPN tweet earlier today: "Jay Cutler has the 2nd most turnovers (160) since 2007. Eli Manning has the most with 181." Thing to note here is that Eli has two SB wins in that timeframe. I know, I know... 'But Lovie didn't do this, and Emery did this, and Webb sucked, and on and on....' Again apologists aside, it is what it is. I've said it once I'll say it again, others (QB's) have faced as much or more adversity and still managed to do more.

So looking at this last week's competition; San Diego. Formerly ranked 2-6 and now 2-7 where did they rank in total defense? 20th. Where do the next three opponents rank? The Rams (5th), Denver (1) and GB (23rd). I might add Cutler is 1-11 versus GB in the last 12 meetings (or something similar). Anyhow, my point that if he plays as well as he has been as of late, against respectable teams without making these potentially game changing mistakes then maybe I'll back down my rhetoric and doubt.

Shifting my thinking to the positive, if only for a minute. From the same Tribune article I referred to earlier, this from Jeffery right after that interception: "When we came to the sideline, I told Jay on the next play we just need a go route. I don't care what the coverage is. Let's go right back at him." On the next snap, Cutler went back to Jeffery, back at Verrett, connecting on a deep ball up the right sideline for 47 yards." To that end, I'm very encouraged that Cutler did not give up. I'm glad he persevered and played to the last whistle. As a fan, that's all I can ask for. He did good. And admittedly is looking more comfortable in Gase's system...against weaker teams. These next few weeks will be a true test. And no Hustla, Stringer or anyone else who insists I'm "hoping" for Jay to screw up, I'm not.

I knew you would go with the SD is a weaker team comment. I'll take a win any week, it doesn't matter what team you play on Sunday, a win in the NFL is hard.

I agree Cutler has 3 very tough weeks ahead of him. He can win a lot of Bear fans back by doing well the next three weeks.

He may be able to win Bear Nation back with a Thanksgiving Day win against that other team.

Hopefully he can win you back a little. I think i have become numb to how the season bounces or a player performs with the past few seasons, but felt good last night. When Miller caught the go ahead TD, the camera showed something I have rarely seen. They showed Jay excited throwing an all out fist pump. They also caught Jay slapping his players on their rear as they headed to the sideline and he then seen Marty slowly making his way so he jogged back out to him. He has turned a corner this year I believe and is showing signs of the type of QB Pace wants. The next few weeks may not turn out as wins, but I think you will see the different QB.

Hopefully he can win you back a little. I think i have become numb to how the season bounces or a player performs with the past few seasons, but felt good last night. When Miller caught the go ahead TD, the camera showed something I have rarely seen. They showed Jay excited throwing an all out fist pump. They also caught Jay slapping his players on their rear as they headed to the sideline and he then seen Marty slowly making his way so he jogged back out to him. He has turned a corner this year I believe and is showing signs of the type of QB Pace wants. The next few weeks may not turn out as wins, but I think you will see the different QB.

After the Go ahead TD they showed Cutler over with the defense before they went out on the field. Another sign he is taking on more of a leadership role.

At the risk of hurting Hustla's sensitive proclivities (because I'm going negative for a minute) but not sure how you can see that AJ was "pulled". If you look at the video from the game he made a decisive cut TO HIS LEFT as if to catch the ball inside. If, as you suggested, he was "pulled" inside I think we would have seen him turn right and would have been facing more to his right looking over his right shoulder while FALLING to his left. Whether or not there was contact between he and the defender, in this instance, is of no consequence.

First, I knew this thread would be catnip for you. And, second, the pull is absolutely of consequence.

Gruden even pointed out that AJ and Cutler had done this same play five times the week prior when playing Minnesota. In fact Gruden further pointed out that Verrette (who had presumably been studying film) said he was going to jump that route. And guess what...he did. Sweet top it all you want, Cutler made an error. This doesn't completely debunk your theory but here's a comment from Cutler in the Chicago Tribune. "I felt like (Jeffery) got pulled (inside) a little bit," Cutler said. "I put the ball where I wanted it. It should have been a completion." The way I see it you should be asking how do you translate; "...I put the ball where I wanted"?

Are you serious? Do you hate Cutler so much that it affects your reading comprehension? What that means is, Cutler thinks Alshon got pulled inside, and that wasn't a slant or anything like that. It was a back-shoulder throw, and he believes Alshon got tugged out of the way.

I know, I know most of you will point out that 'yeah but..this or that' I'm just telling you what I saw and have been seeing. This from an ESPN tweet earlier today: "Jay Cutler has the 2nd most turnovers (160) since 2007. Eli Manning has the most with 181." Thing to note here is that Eli has two SB wins in that timeframe. I know, I know... 'But Lovie didn't do this, and Emery did this, and Webb sucked, and on and on....' Again apologists aside, it is what it is. I've said it once I'll say it again, others (QB's) have faced as much or more adversity and still managed to do more.

False. FALSE. Prove it. Please go point by point comparing how other QBs have faced the same number of shit OLs, new offensive schemes, new coaches, poor WRs, conservative coaches, injuries, etc. If you're so right, prove it.

Highly doubtful.

I knew you couldn't say something nice without hedging your bet. Here's to hoping you finally catch that dastardly Jay Cutler for kicking your dog and stealing your identity online.

aj4.png

If someone doesn't think there was a tug, and Alshon wasn't pulled away, then that person, whoever it may be, should look at this picture over and over again. Because either Alshon got tugged, or he runs horrible routes at the top of his break.

First, I knew this thread would be catnip for you. And, second, the pull is absolutely of consequence.

Nope. The throw was right. AJ cut left. Plain and simple. Tug or no, that pass was going to be a pick.

Are you serious? Do you hate Cutler so much that it affects your reading comprehension? What that means is, Cutler thinks Alshon got pulled inside, and that wasn't a slant or anything like that. It was a back-shoulder throw, and he believes Alshon got tugged out of the way.

See above.

False. FALSE. Prove it. Please go point by point comparing how other QBs have faced the same number of shit OLs, new offensive schemes, new coaches, poor WRs, conservative coaches, injuries, etc. If you're so right, prove it.

I've done it before but you've either chosen to ignore or it refute it because you simply don't like it. Like our 'discussions' about how you value the OLineman more than anything else in the first round yet when I point out both Williams and Carimi were first round picks you say nothing. I could do it again, but why waste the effort? You can't even see the simple comparison I made of Eli and despite his being the only one to surpass Jay in turnovers he's still managed to win two Super Bowls. That, my friend, is overcoming adversity.

Alaska,

Nope. The throw was right. AJ cut left. Plain and simple. Tug or no, that pass was going to be a pick.

This is just not the case, I watched this play over and over from a bunch of different angles and went back and watched other games with similar throws. If Alshon turns towards the sideline, then that would lead the DB right into the path of the ball, he is supposed to turn towards the inside (which he has done for everyone of those passes) and face the QB so he can pick up the ball in the air. If he turns outside, he is blind to the ball until he completes over a 180 turn while the DB is facing the ball the entire time. Now that would be a horrible designed play.

If Verrett doesn't hold and pull Alshon away, it is an easy catch with Verrett completely behind Alshon (boxed out) on the play.

I will try to post some pics from other games on the same route (where he turns inside every time).

The one thing I find disturbing is the zero defect environment Cutler has to operate in. QBs throw INTs and fumble when they are sacked, it happens (and it is not always their fault). Favre, Marino, Manning, Brady, Brees, Elway, Bledsoe, Eli, Big Ben, Rivers, Palmer, Romo, and Ryan all have multiple double digit INTs and turnover seasons. The only guy that doesn't have that many is Rodgers, where I think the comparisons come in for Bears fans. However, there is no way to compare these two realistically, Rodgers has been on the same team, with the same HC, in the same system since he came into the league, and also had the luxury to sit until he was 25 behind a future HoFer. Then you can look at the plethora of WRs and TEs he played with and it is not even funny. Also, another huge factor is that GB almost always plays with a lead (Cutler has attempted 2190 passes while trailing to Rodgers 1231). That makes their offense even more potent because you can't pin your ears back and just rush the QB.

If you still want to compare, lets look at how clutch those two are, in 126 starts Cutler has 20 4th Quarter comebacks and 24 Game-winning drives. In 111 starts, Rodgers has 9 4QC and 13 GWD (and he has cable). Those are the highest pressure situations you can be in, and Cutler basically doubles Rodgers. How about playoffs? Cutler is 1-1 in the playoffs and Super Rodgers is only 6-5. Besides their Super Bowl year he is 2-5 in the playoffs in 5 other seasons. He has been 1 and done 3 times. Cutler at least won a game the year we made it into the playoffs.

Also, between the two, Rodgers has the lowest passing yards in a complete game with more than 20 attempts with 77 yards against Denver two weeks ago. Rodgers also had a chance to win the game against Carolina to add to his clutch totals, and what did he do, threw an INT that ended the game (then threw a tantrum and threw down a Surface tablet that was intercepted).

Just a few simple words to disprove everything you just said.

1. Manning's 2 Super Bowls came with a better defensive effort from the Giants. You can t be last in the NFL and win championships.

2. How many times has cuter changed HC...OC and entire staff's as with Manning?

3. How many times has Cutler been sacked by his bad Oline

4. How many times have our WR ben to the Pro Bowl

5. The Giants have had better teams...as far as players go.