Has Cutler finally turned the corner?

adam

To me, it's a simple smell test. Cutler simply doesn't stink like he did last year. Whether is due to coaching, moving the Marshall cancer, Cutty coming to an epiphany, or random luck...Cutler is simply playing better. Yes, he makes some mistakes. All QB's do, and some a lot more than others. But, given what we've seen of him in the past and what we're seeing now...he has improved.

I really thought he'd be gone after this season. Now, I don't think so, nor do I want him gone. We keep him for his contract, draft a young groomable QB this and/or next draft and have them sit and learn for a year or 2.

We all know he had the physical skills. What I think we're seeing is improved mental skills and possibly some maturity/wisdom.

His mistakes aren't snowballing into numerous ones in a row. He is bouncing back and making plays. Big plays. Like any of the top QB's.

I simply like what I've seen. He's helped made us watchable again.

Call it a badly thrown ball if you must(It wasn't), but still the fact of the matter is Verrett clearly had his hands all over AJ, and that should have been pass interference.

Cutler is in the top 10 in lowest INT% this year. Just wanted to throw that out there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I saw the same things that both you and Ashkum saw. And agree totally that he's grasping that role, at least outwardly.

A point brought up on the score or espn radio yesterday talking about Cutler the leader, when he came to the Bears the face of the franchise was Urlacher and had other vets as in Briggs and PNut that were the core of the leadership of that team. They mentioned that it was probably hard for Cutler to come in right away and take a leadership role especially knowing Urlacher was not happy when the Bears traded for Cutler. Urlacher made it known he liked Orton as their QB and was not happy giving up two 1st to get Cutler. When you read the article I posted from the Denver GM that drafted Cutler it makes sense that Cutler would have a hard time becoming a leader with make up of the team he came into. It may be a reason we are seeing him display more leadership type actions on the sidelines now. It helps that he is playing very consistent right now. If you play week in and week at a high level it makes it easier to be a leader on the field. From everything I have read Cutler displays the qualities a leader should have behind the scenes ie : locker room, practice field, film study and general professional manner. We are now seeing more leadership actions on game day.

As Alaska stated the next three weeks will tell a lot, I bet the offense and Cutler will face some adversity against the Rams, Denver and GB. I hope Cutler can react the same way he did against the Chargers.

Right now all signs are pointing up for Cutler, I hope he continues to play well and get's better. I will say it has helped greatly that Alshon is back on the field. Maybe White gets on the field by the GB game. Another weapon helping Cutler will only make his life easier.

Just a few simple words to disprove everything you just said.

1. Manning's 2 Super Bowls came with a better defensive effort from the Giants. You can t be last in the NFL and win championships.

2. How many times has cuter changed HC...OC and entire staff's as with Manning?

3. How many times has Cutler been sacked by his bad Oline

4. How many times have our WR ben to the Pro Bowl

5. The Giants have had better teams...as far as players go.

Agreed 100%. The NY Giants have been a well run Franchise for a long time. They consistently put a good to defense on the field and have always had a good offense. The Bears have never had the balance that the Giants have had in years past.

If I had to pick between Eli and Jay I would probably go with Jay. He is more mobile and been able to create a lot of plays using his mobility to escape the pass rush to make throws. Our oline is not providing great protection and I dont think Eli would look as good as Jay has in our offense this year. Now if the Bears had an oline that gave good pass protection Im not sure which way I would go. Eli is pretty damn good when given time to throw the ball. On the same token Jay has proven he can pick apart a Defense when given time in the pocket too.

To me, it's a simple smell test. Cutler simply doesn't stink like he did last year. Whether is due to coaching, moving the Marshall cancer, Cutty coming to an epiphany, or random luck...Cutler is simply playing better. Yes, he makes some mistakes. All QB's do, and some a lot more than others. But, given what we've seen of him in the past and what we're seeing now...he has improved.

I really thought he'd be gone after this season. Now, I don't think so, nor do I want him gone. We keep him for his contract, draft a young groomable QB this and/or next draft and have them sit and learn for a year or 2.

We all know he had the physical skills. What I think we're seeing is improved mental skills and possibly some maturity/wisdom.

His mistakes aren't snowballing into numerous ones in a row. He is bouncing back and making plays. Big plays. Like any of the top QB's.

I simply like what I've seen. He's helped made us watchable again.

I agree with everything you wrote. Without Jay the Bears would have 0 wins this year. With a little more talent on the Defense maybe we dont lose to Det and Minny. Hell if the special team didnt blow we probably win both game as well. I may be jumping the gun but I think the Bears are closer then I had thought to being respectable. The Bears have a ton of cap space next year and if Pace hits on the draft again next year the Bears could be playoff contenders next year. The next 3 weeks will confirm that statement as they will be playing 3 good teams. The Bears already hung with GB, AZ until Cutler went down and Sea for a half with Jimmy Pickles missing every throw.

Nope. The throw was right. AJ cut left. Plain and simple. Tug or no, that pass was going to be a pick.

Ridiculous. You can tell the alternate reality past or future. You should change your screen name to Doc Brown.

Based on your Lovie love, and your hatred of Cutler, it is pretty clear you won't be happy until the Bears have a caretaker QB who protects three point leads with the passion of someone buffing a floor, while throwing for 200ypg and hoping the D/ST scores once per game, while the team perpetually hovers around mediocrity with random spikes of "good but not quite good enough because no risks were taken".

Ridiculous. You can tell the alternate reality past or future. You should change your screen name to Doc Brown.

Based on your Lovie love, and your hatred of Cutler, it is pretty clear you won't be happy until the Bears have a caretaker QB who protects three point leads while throwing for 200ypg and hoping the D/ST scores once per game, while the team perpetually hovers around mediocrity with random spikes of "good but not quite good enough because no risks were taken".

The funny thing is Cutler said he put the ball where he wanted to, Cutler states that Alshon seemed to get pushed or dragged inside. Both these statements go along with the great picture work by Adam.

The guy was all over Alshon, if you dont think that was PI then you dont watch a lot of NFL games. Ive seen a player fart in the general direction of a WR and PI gets called.

Either way freak IT, it was Cutlers fault. Cutler played his ass off. Winning feels great. I love winning like I love Scotch.....I love Scotch...Scotch...Scotch...Scotch....Get in my Belly......... My apartment smells of rich mahogany and leather bound books....... I love Scotch......lol.....sorry I went all Ron Burgandy there for a min.

Never apologize for loving Scotch! Or throwing a Burgundy quote around...

:cheers

. I love winning like I love Scotch.....I love Scotch...Scotch...Scotch...Scotch....Get in my Belly......... My apartment smells of rich mahogany and leather bound books....... I love Scotch......lol.....sorry I went all Ron Burgandy there for a min.

The funny thing is Cutler said he put the ball where he wanted to, Cutler states that Alshon seemed to get pushed or dragged inside. Both these statements go along with the great picture work by Adam.

The guy was all over Alshon, if you dont think that was PI then you dont watch a lot of NFL games. Ive seen a player fart in the general direction of a WR and PI gets called.

Either way freak IT, it was Cutlers fault. Cutler played his ass off. Winning feels great. I love winning like I love Scotch.....I love Scotch...Scotch...Scotch...Scotch....Get in my Belly......... My apartment smells of rich mahogany and leather bound books....... I love Scotch......lol.....sorry I went all Ron Burgandy there for a min.

Chitow, you do know that most scotch is made in barrels that were originally bourbon? So, probably bourbon is a better pour Just sayin. If you like scotch, that will leave more Makers Mark for me!

Chitow, you do know that most scotch is made in barrels that were originally bourbon? So, probably bourbon is a better pour Just sayin. If you like scotch, that will leave more Makers Mark for me!

I live about 45 minutes from the Maker's Mark Distillery and have been on all the bourbon tours in the area. Really cool if you are ever in the Louisville area.

Not true! Many a scotch is finished also in wine or sherry barrels. Scotch is the recycler. Bourbon is put in fresh charred barrels every time, so they do tend to waste some wood. So, the Scotchmakers wisely just ask for the old barrels. Given the smoothness of Bourbon, the remnants barely have an impact on Scotch. With the peat in Scotch...the Bourbon remnants stand no chance. However, the wine barrels do have an impact. There are some amazing Lowland and Highland Scotches that utlilize Bordeaux casks that impart a very fin flavor.

Just sayin'...

I love me some Makers, but Lagvulin 16 Year Scotch is it for me! (Also, try W.L. Weller. Like Maker's, it's a wheated Bourbon...and is considered ot be the poor man's Pappy by many. It's delicious and only about $40 a bottle).

May I recommend Jefferson's Ocean? It's an amazing Bourbon that ages at sea. Thus imparting some brine into the process. It is almost a perfect Bourbon/Scotch hybrid. A truly unique experience for only around $90 a bottle.

I am jealous! I've only been to Bourbon country once, and loved it! We did Makers, Buffalo Trace, Willett and 4 Roses....just wonderful! Couldn't find a glass of Pappy if our lives depended on it! We stayed at the Brown in Louisville. A great vacation for any whisky fan! I'm a Scotch guy mostly, but dammit if I don't love me some Bourbon as well!

I live about 45 minutes from the Maker's Mark Distillery and have been on all the bourbon tours in the area. Really cool if you are ever in the Louisville area.

I did not know that about Scotch. I just recently got into scotch. I however am a long time Bourbon fan. I lived in Lexington for about a year and half and fell in love with Bourbon. I did the Woodford Reserve Tour, it was really cool.

Not true! Many a scotch is finished also in wine or sherry barrels. Scotch is the recycler. Bourbon is put in fresh charred barrels every time, so they do tend to waste some wood. So, the Scotchmakers wisely just ask for the old barrels. Given the smoothness of Bourbon, the remnants barely have an impact on Scotch. With the peat in Scotch...the Bourbon remnants stand no chance. However, the wine barrels do have an impact. There are some amazing Lowland and Highland Scotches that utlilize Bordeaux casks that impart a very fin flavor.

Just sayin'...

I love me some Makers, but Lagvulin 16 Year Scotch is it for me! (Also, try W.L. Weller. Like Maker's, it's a wheated Bourbon...and is considered ot be the poor man's Pappy by many. It's delicious and only about $40 a bottle).

May I recommend Jefferson's Ocean? It's an amazing Bourbon that ages at sea. Thus imparting some brine into the process. It is almost a perfect Bourbon/Scotch hybrid. A truly unique experience for only around $90 a bottle.

Ok so If Im looking for a go to Scotch you are saying Lagvulin 16 is the route to go?

for me it is!

it's a campfire in a glass

However, it's an Islay, which means it's heavily peated and has a distinct brine due to it's proximity to the ocean.

There are mellow Scotches that are unpeated, like Auchentoshan 12 from the Lowlands. There are smoother Highland Scotches, like the Macallan 18.

But, for my money, Lagavulin 16 is it. I can get it Costco for like $56...

I cannot recommend it enough. Maybe ask for a glass neat at a good bar to make sure you like that. If that isn't your particular taste, try the Macallan. It's one that is usually most popular.

I'd be happy to help direct you to others depending on what you think of the Lagavulin 16. And if you have it while eating a nice steak or prime rib...it's even lovlier!

Ok so If Im looking for a go to Scotch you are saying Lagvulin 16 is the route to go?

Please try a glass of Lagavulin 16 in a bar to taste! It has to be neat! Ice just waters is down.

If you don't like it, hit me up on PM and I will reimburse you! I stand by it that much! It is a unique experience. Please let me know if you do.

I did not know that about Scotch. I just recently got into scotch. I however am a long time Bourbon fan. I lived in Lexington for about a year and half and fell in love with Bourbon. I did the Woodford Reserve Tour, it was really cool.

for me it is!

it's a campfire in a glass

However, it's an Islay, which means it's heavily peated and has a distinct brine due to it's proximity to the ocean.

There are mellow Scotches that are unpeated, like Auchentoshan 12 from the Lowlands. There are smoother Highland Scotches, like the Macallan 18.

But, for my money, Lagavulin 16 is it. I can get it Costco for like $56...

I cannot recommend it enough. Maybe ask for a glass neat at a good bar to make sure you like that. If that isn't your particular taste, try the Macallan. It's one that is usually most popular.

I'd be happy to help direct you to others depending on what you think of the Lagavulin 16. And if you have it while eating a nice steak or prime rib...it's even lovlier!

Thanks a lot!!! Ill start here and let you know what I think......This weekend I will be getting a great steak from this place called Perry's in Oakbrook, im sure they have some good Scotch. If you guy are ever in the area you have to try it out. They have this 78 finger pork chop that is insane.

Excellent!

That sounds tasty! I will have to keep that on my list when I make a return visit to the area!

Thanks a lot!!! Ill start here and let you know what I think......This weekend I will be getting a great steak from this place called Perry's in Oakbrook, im sure they have some good Scotch. If you guy are ever in the area you have to try it out. They have this 78 finger pork chop that is insane.

I am jealous! I've only been to Bourbon country once, and loved it! We did Makers, Buffalo Trace, Willett and 4 Roses....just wonderful! Couldn't find a glass of Pappy if our lives depended on it! We stayed at the Brown in Louisville. A great vacation for any whisky fan! I'm a Scotch guy mostly, but dammit if I don't love me some Bourbon as well!

Very cool. We get bats (for gifts) from the Louisville Slugger factory dipped in wax at Maker's all the time (they do it for free). I am going to take a Blackhawks puck there to get it dipped next month.

Well if that wasn't a statement game, I don't know what one is. Cutler had a perfect passer rating most of the game, and didn't turn the ball over against a great defense, in STL no less.

22 QBs have more INTs than Cutler this year. He has 9 TDs to 2 INTs in his last 5 games, and 13-5 overall. His only QB Rating under 88.4 was 67.5 against GB in Week 1.

We now get the Broncos in Chicago when they are really struggling. So we have as much of a shot against them as we did against STL.