Older is better for NFL QBs, the numbers show

adam

I thought this was a pretty good article about the age of QBs: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14084886...bs-dominate-nfl

If this holds true, and just looking at Cutler's progress this year, it would make sense to keep him around for a few more years. He is in his 10th year, and based on these numbers a QB peaks at year 12 and continues to have very solid years through year 15/16. Now obviously you can say small sample size or the numbers are bogus after 10 years because only good QBs are left in the league at that point, but that is not always the case.

To me, stabilizing the QB position seems like the first and most important step to making a sustained run at the playoffs. It also means not having to worry about throwing multiple draft picks at the position and allows the GM some freedom and predictability.

I would stick with Cutler for the remainder of his contract, or at least through the next 3 years when the cap hit is favorable:

2016 $17,000,000

2017 $16,000,000

2018 $17,000,000

2019 $20,000,000

2020 $21,700,000

Right now he has the 8th highest cap hit for a QB this year, but drops to 15th next year and 16th in 2017. To me, those are some very favorable team numbers, especially considering other QBs will be getting new deals between now and then to surpass Cutler's deal.

Take a look at the article and let me know what you think.

With all talk of Gase becoming a HC, it would be fantastic if he had an understudy. Being a younger guy, it is unlikely that he has that. I would just hate to lose him and have Cutler spend his prime breaking in yet another OC. Some have said that Gase may be the successor to Fox. I truly hope he's here for at least 3 years.

With all talk of Gase becoming a HC, it would be fantastic if he had an understudy. Being a younger guy, it is unlikely that he has that. I would just hate to lose him and have Cutler spend his prime breaking in yet another OC. Some have said that Gase may be the successor to Fox. I truly hope he's here for at least 3 years.

Some of the guys on sports radio in Chicago have said that they reached out to their contacts at Halas Hall and everyone has said that there is no Gase to be Fox's successor. I think this is kind of a made up "hope" type of thing. John Fox is only 60 years old, I dont see him retiring anytime soon.

I hope they are grooming Dowell to be the next OC, Cutler gets along with him and he could keep the same system going once Gase gets his shot. I think we have a shot at 2 years with Gase, 3 may be pushing it. I'm with you tho, would love to see Gase here for 3. Hopefully Fangio will be here long term, hope is the key word. Once he gets the Bears D turned around he will have offers too. These rproblems are a lot better then hiring Trestman over Arians. What was Emery thinking???? lol

Once Gase has the "Guy who fixed Cutler" on his resume he will have many options college and NFL. Not sure how interested he is in college but offers will be there.

Some of the guys on sports radio in Chicago have said that they reached out to their contacts at Halas Hall and everyone has said that there is no Gase to be Fox's successor. I think this is kind of a made up "hope" type of thing. John Fox is only 60 years old, I dont see him retiring anytime soon.

I hope they are grooming Dowell to be the next OC, Cutler gets along with him and he could keep the same system going once Gase gets his shot. I think we have a shot at 2 years with Gase, 3 may be pushing it. I'm with you tho, would love to see Gase here for 3. Hopefully Fangio will be here long term, hope is the key word. Once he gets the Bears D turned around he will have offers too. These rproblems are a lot better then hiring Trestman over Arians. What was Emery thinking???? lol

Once Gase has the "Guy who fixed Cutler" on his resume he will have many options college and NFL. Not sure how interested he is in college but offers will be there.

Dowell Loggains might be an underrated name here. Jay has been open about wanting to work with him so who knows, a lot of the good we've seen might be coming from him.

But yeah, I agree with Adam here. Let Jay play out the next 3 years unless he falls off a cliff the next 2. At the very least taking a QB in the first round this coming up draft should be off the table.

Only thing I worry about with Jay is the beatings he's taken throughout the years. Some of those older guys get the ball out so quick that they really haven't taken the beating Jay has. I think it's a safe bet that he can continue playing till his mid 30s.