Kevin White

adam

I know there hasn't been much reported about Kevin White lately, but after doing some digging, it looks like the team will have to do something with him by November 24th (12 days from now). At that point they will have 3 options:

1. place him on injured reserve (most likely)

2. release him (obviously not going to happen here)

3. bring him back to practice (then have up to 21 days before adding him to 53-man roster)

So if White had a chance to play this year, he could come back as late as December 20th (at Minnesota), 4 months removed from surgery, and would be eligible to play as early as next week if activated (and in game shape, which is not likely). He was only jogging 2 weeks ago, and would have to ramp up to running, cutting, and jumping

Basically, we will know in less than 2 weeks if White will play this year.

My gut says it will ultimately come down to our record after the Broncos game, but I am leaning towards them shutting him down. While the reps are invaluable in a real game environment, I would hate to see him come back too early after all this time off.

I know there hasn't been much reported about Kevin White lately, but after doing some digging, it looks like the team will have to do something with him by November 24th (12 days from now). At that point they will have 3 options:

3. bring him back to practice (then have up to 21 days before adding him to 53-man roster)

So if White had a chance to play this year, he could come back as late as December 20th (at Minnesota), 4 months removed from surgery, and would be eligible to play as early as next week if activated (and in game shape, which is not likely). He was only jogging 2 weeks ago, and would have to ramp up to running, cutting, and jumping

My gut says it will ultimately come down to our record after the Broncos game, but I am leaning towards them shutting him down. While the reps are invaluable in a real game environment, I would hate to see him come back too early after all this time off.

Thanks for posting. Was thinking of this a day or two ago. Last digging I found was Oct 27, White was quoted as saying it is not coming along as he had wanted. Hopefully things have changed since then, he could use the experience. With the injuries continuing to hit the wr core, we could use a capable body.. AJ and Royal both listed on injury report.

Why wouldn't they just buy time and have him "practice". I presume their is a loose definition around "practice". That way you keep the clock going a little longer?

Why wouldn't they just buy time and have him "practice". I presume their is a loose definition around "practice". That way you keep the clock going a little longer?

He has to take up a spot on the active roster to do so. Essentially they have to bring him back to the roster by the 24th, but then he is allowed to practice for 21 days before he has to be "activated" on the 53-man roster.

I believe this is in place to prevent teams from circumventing the 53-man roster and practice squad rules by just putting players on PUP and IR to stash them. So I don't think he can practice unless he is on the roster or PS.

I don't think this is as much about record as it is about the future and getting White any reps this year will help him next year. Of course they won't risk anything with this injury so I agree we will know soon if he has a shot to return this year. He's had a lot of weeks without running and that takes a long time to recover from.

If he makes it back to the field I doubt we'll see the athlete that ran the 4.3x forty. It's the same with Dez Bryant watching him these last two games, he just can't run away from players as he used to. Dez will recover his speed within a week or two but White hasn't been running for many more weeks than Dez was out so his recovery will take longer. If White makes it back to the field this season we need to temper our expectations.

I don't think this is as much about record as it is about the future and getting White any reps this year will help him next year. Of course they won't risk anything with this injury so I agree we will know soon if he has a shot to return this year. He's had a lot of weeks without running and that takes a long time to recover from.

If he makes it back to the field I doubt we'll see the athlete that ran the 4.3x forty. It's the same with Dez Bryant watching him these last two games, he just can't run away from players as he used to. Dez will recover his speed within a week or two but White hasn't been running for many more weeks than Dez was out so his recovery will take longer. If White makes it back to the field this season we need to temper our expectations.

Agreed on having lower expectation on White. I really hope White turns out to be a game changer. If he is this draft class could go down as one of the best the Bears have ever had.

There is no reason to throw him to the wolves if he's not 100% coming off rehab. Based on what I've read and heard, it sounded highly unlikely that he would even be healed before the regular season is over. This is a long rehab. Given that the team is not going to make the playoffs this year, you have to think the Bears are going to be extra cautious with him. All you had to do was listen to Ryan Pace talk the day he had surgery to realize his chances of coming back this season were slim and none.

There is no reason to throw him to the wolves if he's not 100% coming off rehab. Based on what I've read and heard, it sounded highly unlikely that he would even be healed before the regular season is over. This is a long rehab. Given that the team is not going to make the playoffs this year, you have to think the Bears are going to be extra cautious with him. All you had to do was listen to Ryan Pace talk the day he had surgery to realize his chances of coming back this season were slim and none.

I would say with complete certainty that the Bears will only put him out there if he is 100% heathy and in somewhat game shape. They are not going to risk their 1st round draft picks career, playoffs or not.