Mad and other scotch drinkers

Chitownhustla

I couldn't find the thread we were talking about scotch so I figured this would be the easiest way to ask.

I tried Macallan 18 yesterday at a xmas party, this is the first expensive scotch I have tried. Well.....guess what.....I fell in love. lol.

If anyone of you guys have tried the Macallan 18, what is another brand that tastes similar buts doesn't cost so much?

Is the Lagavulin similar to the Macallan 18???

Researching scotch online I found that I have just picked up another expensive hobby! haha My wine hobby has gotten pretty bad, looks like the wine will be put on hold.

Awesome! The Macallan 18 is really the "gold standard" by which all Scotch is ultimately judged by. It's the benchmark.

Various bottles can run from $30-90. Most really worthy ones will be about $50-60. Keep in mind it's not wine. You can stash it after opening (assuming you have the willpower!). Scotch will not go bad. Just keep it out of sunlight and keep it covered with the cork. A bottle is basically good for about 15-20 glasses depending on how heavy your hand is. It's not a bad price even at $90 and heavy pours are only about $6 per 1.5-2 oz pours. And that's for a $90 bottle!

Some similar Distilleries to Macallan (which you are looking for "Highland Single Malts"):

Balvenie - Double Wood 12 Year in particular

Glenfarclas

Glen Morangie

Aberlour

One that really comes to mind that's from the Lowlands (less peat), Auchentoshan is absolutely lovely. It's one of my personal favorites.

Lagavulin is very different. It's heavily peated (the boggy vegetation used to smoke Scotch) and smoky. It's very worth a taste...

In order of heaviness...light to heavy

Lowlands (Auchentoshan)

Highlands/Speyside (Macallan, Glenliviet)

Islands/Cambeltown (Oban, Springbank)

Islay (Bruichladdich, Lagvulin, Laphroig)

My first exposure was to Oban. From there I went all in on Islays. I still love something from every region, but I am an Islay fan. Think Lowlands like the Montana 49'ers. Slick, smooth, crisp clean. Think Highlands like the Aikman Cowboys. Solid across the board. Think Islands like the Pats. A little rough around the edges, but smooth. They may cheat you on only filling the 750ml bottle to 725 ml... ;) . Think Islay like the 85 Bears. Punch you in your face! Lagavullin is Payton. Tough as nails, but classy. Laphroig is Butkus. Brutal and emphatic.

I hope that helps! I just made myself thirsty!

PS - Here's a great holiday yule/fieplace video...

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/nick...at-much-better/

Please give me your feedback on anything you try!

Slainte! (Gaelic for cheers!)

:cheers

I couldn't find the thread we were talking about scotch so I figured this would be the easiest way to ask.

I tried Macallan 18 yesterday at a xmas party, this is the first expensive scotch I have tried. Well.....guess what.....I fell in love. lol.

If anyone of you guys have tried the Macallan 18, what is another brand that tastes similar buts doesn't cost so much?

Is the Lagavulin similar to the Macallan 18???

Researching scotch online I found that I have just picked up another expensive hobby! haha My wine hobby has gotten pretty bad, looks like the wine will be put on hold.

Awesome! The Macallan 18 is really the "gold standard" by which all Scotch is ultimately judged by. It's the benchmark.

Various bottles can run from $30-90. Most really worthy ones will be about $50-60. Keep in mind it's not wine. You can stash it after opening (assuming you have the willpower!). Scotch will not go bad. Just keep it out of sunlight and keep it covered with the cork. A bottle is basically good for about 15-20 glasses depending on how heavy your hand is. It's not a bad price even at $90 and heavy pours are only about $6 per 1.5-2 oz pours. And that's for a $90 bottle!

Some similar Distilleries to Macallan (which you are looking for "Highland Single Malts"):

Balvenie - Double Wood 12 Year in particular

Glenfarclas

Glen Morangie

Aberlour

One that really comes to mind that's from the Lowlands (less peat), Auchentoshan is absolutely lovely. It's one of my personal favorites.

Lagavulin is very different. It's heavily peated (the boggy vegetation used to smoke Scotch) and smoky. It's very worth a taste...

In order of heaviness...light to heavy

Lowlands (Auchentoshan)

Highlands/Speyside (Macallan, Glenliviet)

Islands/Cambeltown (Oban, Springbank)

Islay (Bruichladdich, Lagvulin, Laphroig)

My first exposure was to Oban. From there I went all in on Islays. I still love something from every region, but I am an Islay fan. Think Lowlands like the Montana 49'ers. Slick, smooth, crisp clean. Think Highlands like the Aikman Cowboys. Solid across the board. Think Islands like the Pats. A little rough around the edges, but smooth. They may cheat you on only filling the 750ml bottle to 725 ml... ;) . Think Islay like the 85 Bears. Punch you in your face! Lagavullin is Payton. Tough as nails, but classy. Laphroig is Butkus. Brutal and emphatic.

I hope that helps! I just made myself thirsty!

PS - Here's a great holiday yule/fieplace video...

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/nick...at-much-better/

Please give me your feedback on anything you try!

Slainte! (Gaelic for cheers!)

Thanks for info, so that I know am getting this right. The area in which the scotch is made affects the taste? My liquor store owner did say that the Lavgulin was smoky and peaty, which is not his favorite. So like wines each scotch will taste different and scotchs from the same area tend to have similar tastes.

I will be picking up the Lavgulin to try, anything compared to the 85 Bears has to be good!

Thanks again for the info!!!

Yes! The region is responsible for the flavor. This includes the type of water used and peat used. For instance, the Islays, impart a more briny taste since they are right off the ocean. They also more heavily peat their Scotches...henceforth, why Lagavulin is smoky.

If you like BBQ, you should like Lagavulin! It goes great with a steak or ribs! ...and a victory cigar!

Happy to help!

Thanks for info, so that I know am getting this right. The area in which the scotch is made affects the taste? My liquor store owner did say that the Lavgulin was smoky and peaty, which is not his favorite. So like wines each scotch will taste different and scotchs from the same area tend to have similar tastes.

I will be picking up the Lavgulin to try, anything compared to the 85 Bears has to be good!

Thanks again for the info!!!

Yes! The region is responsible for the flavor. This includes the type of water used and peat used. For instance, the Islays, impart a more briny taste since they are right off the ocean. They also more heavily peat their Scotches...henceforth, why Lagavulin is smoky.

If you like BBQ, you should like Lagavulin! It goes great with a steak or ribs! ...and a victory cigar!

Happy to help!

Because of you there is a bottle of Lagavulin sitting on the counter waiting for the right moment. When I bought it the salesman asked me why I was interested in Lagavulin because he had other scotches that were his favorites. I told him a bunch of Bears fans recommended it and that was good enough for me. He didn't understand.

Now I know that right moment will be with some good steaks grilled over Mesquite charcoal.

I am honored! It's one of the most distinct Scotches. Savor it, sip slow...and enjoy!

My mouth is watering like Homer Simpson over your steaks on the Mesquite charcoal!

Please give me your impressions once you taste it.

The best way to taste is pour yourself a 1-2oz glass neat (no ice). Smell it w/ your nose in the glass. Pick up the nuances of the smoke, the alcohol burn, etc. You are simply trying to prep your taste buds here. Then take a tiny sip and enjoy. If you like it, keep going neat. If you find it a little harsh, drop a tiny bit of water. It opens it up and cools down the alcohol burn a bit. If you like that, keep going. If that is still a bit harsh, drop 1 ice cube (or one of those fancy big cocktail ice cubes as they melt slower). Keep adding a bit more cubes if you need to.

The idea is not to immediately dilute the Scotch. This applies to tasting any Scotch, whether it be an Islay or a Highland. Taste it in it's primal and intended form, then adjust accordingly to your personal tastes. If you immediately go in for ice, you might be missing something!

All single malts are not shootin' whisky...they are to be savored slowly. And if tasting 2 from different regions, try the ligthter one first do you don't harsh out your palate. (ex. Try a Highland before trying the Islay).

Because of you there is a bottle of Lagavulin sitting on the counter waiting for the right moment. When I bought it the salesman asked me why I was interested in Lagavulin because he had other scotches that were his favorites. I told him a bunch of Bears fans recommended it and that was good enough for me. He didn't understand.

Now I know that right moment will be with some good steaks grilled over Mesquite charcoal.

I am honored! It's one of the most distinct Scotches. Savor it, sip slow...and enjoy!

My mouth is watering like Homer Simpson over your steaks on the Mesquite charcoal!

Please give me your impressions once you taste it.

The best way to taste is pour yourself a 1-2oz glass neat (no ice). Smell it w/ your nose in the glass. Pick up the nuances of the smoke, the alcohol burn, etc. You are simply trying to prep your taste buds here. Then take a tiny sip and enjoy. If you like it, keep going neat. If you find it a little harsh, drop a tiny bit of water. It opens it up and cools down the alcohol burn a bit. If you like that, keep going. If that is still a bit harsh, drop 1 ice cube (or one of those fancy big cocktail ice cubes as they melt slower). Keep adding a bit more cubes if you need to.

The idea is not to immediately dilute the Scotch. This applies to tasting any Scotch, whether it be an Islay or a Highland. Taste it in it's primal and intended form, then adjust accordingly to your personal tastes. If you immediately go in for ice, you might be missing something!

All single malts are not shootin' whisky...they are to be savored slowly. And if tasting 2 from different regions, try the ligthter one first do you don't harsh out your palate. (ex. Try a Highland before trying the Islay).

Damn Mad, you really know your shit!!! After reading more and more on Scotch everything Mad has said is spot on. Who needs google when you got guys like Mad here at Talkbears! lol

Thanks again for the info