49ers Game Thoughts

AZ54

8th game this season that has gone down to the last minute.

QB: Off day for Cutler. I'm not one to blame him for the INT as those are not even "read" plays you just have to trust the WRs execute correctly. I don't think we called that play again the rest of the game. Beyond that he was inaccurate on deep throws and generally didn't seem comfortable reading the defense. Maybe that's because nobody could get open. Regardless not his best week.

RBs: I like Forte but I will take the extra $$$ and keep Carey and Langford as our 1/2 next season and bring in some more competition for the 3rd spot. Forte runs with good vision he just doesn't have the quickness and burst anymore and there is no reason to think that will get better next season. There were plays where you know Langford would make it to the outside and upfield for a big gain that Forte has to cut back behind the defender. Loved seeing the coaches put Carey back out there after the bad holding penalty, and he responded well. Carey also had one of the block that allowed the big KR at the end of the game.

TEs: Another non-descript game for Bennett. He'll be around next year but if he holds out thinking he'll get some big money deal it won't happen.

WRs: Jeffrey looked very plodding out there. Maybe he's taking it easy after the groin injury but his cuts and acceleration were mostly pedestrian. Even on the deep ball Cutler over-threw Jeffrey didn't hit top speed until he saw the ball was thrown. Mariani kicked in his 2 or 3 receptions (2 this time) for 33 yards. Nobody else showed up although there were a few opportunities missed due to bad throws.

Oline: They struggled with SF's interior defenders on run blocking all game but did enough to have an effective running game. Pass protection was good although helped by Cutler's mobility in the pocket.

Dline: Goldman is becoming a beast. It's easy to forget how young he is since he came out early but there are signs he could develop into a Pro Bowl player. Now if we could just get another playmaker next to him we'd be alright. Jenkins and the rest of the DTs have done alright for us but I think this is their "plateau".

ILB: SMC is all over the field and making a lot of tackles, 9. He's still not recognizing plays fast enough to make the splash plays for a loss. I think his pass coverage was good although he got caught on one play looking back at the QB while the TE cut back inside for a big gain. I hardly noticed the LB next him this game and Jones and Anderson each had just one tackle.

OLB: Willie Young is back to his old self and is giving us some solid but not flashy play off the edge. McPhee looked like a guy who hasn't practiced much in the last month because of a knee injury and is not playing with the quickness he displayed earlier in the season.

DBs: Callahan continues to shine with passes defended each game. Porter looked disinterested this game and often played too soft. I didn't really notice Kyle Fuller but he did finish with 4 tackles, as did Callahan. They were not handed a tough task as the best WR for the 49ers was Boldin. Safeties played well until the last play.

Special teams: Some good play here throughout the game with punts downed inside the 20, a huge booming punt late the game to flip the field with good coverage. Outstanding KR at the end of regulation to give us a shot at a game winning FG. And now our biggest special teams problem is a FG kicker who has "lost it".

Coaching: Good coaching is only going to take you so far. We need more talent on the field at WR but we have those answers on the roster. Other positions like Dline, OLB speed rusher, ILB, interior Oline, need upgrades.

8th game this season that has gone down to the last minute.

QB: Off day for Cutler. I'm not one to blame him for the INT as those are not even "read" plays you just have to trust the WRs execute correctly. I don't think we called that play again the rest of the game. Beyond that he was inaccurate on deep throws and generally didn't seem comfortable reading the defense. Maybe that's because nobody could get open. Regardless not his best week.

RBs: I like Forte but I will take the extra $$$ and keep Carey and Langford as our 1/2 next season and bring in some more competition for the 3rd spot. Forte runs with good vision he just doesn't have the quickness and burst anymore and there is no reason to think that will get better next season. There were plays where you know Langford would make it to the outside and upfield for a big gain that Forte has to cut back behind the defender. Loved seeing the coaches put Carey back out there after the bad holding penalty, and he responded well. Carey also had one of the block that allowed the big KR at the end of the game.

TEs: Another non-descript game for Bennett. He'll be around next year but if he holds out thinking he'll get some big money deal it won't happen.

WRs: Jeffrey looked very plodding out there. Maybe he's taking it easy after the groin injury but his cuts and acceleration were mostly pedestrian. Even on the deep ball Cutler over-threw Jeffrey didn't hit top speed until he saw the ball was thrown. Mariani kicked in his 2 or 3 receptions (2 this time) for 33 yards. Nobody else showed up although there were a few opportunities missed due to bad throws.

Oline: They struggled with SF's interior defenders on run blocking all game but did enough to have an effective running game. Pass protection was good although helped by Cutler's mobility in the pocket.

Dline: Goldman is becoming a beast. It's easy to forget how young he is since he came out early but there are signs he could develop into a Pro Bowl player. Now if we could just get another playmaker next to him we'd be alright. Jenkins and the rest of the DTs have done alright for us but I think this is their "plateau".

ILB: SMC is all over the field and making a lot of tackles, 9. He's still not recognizing plays fast enough to make the splash plays for a loss. I think his pass coverage was good although he got caught on one play looking back at the QB while the TE cut back inside for a big gain. I hardly noticed the LB next him this game and Jones and Anderson each had just one tackle.

OLB: Willie Young is back to his old self and is giving us some solid but not flashy play off the edge. McPhee looked like a guy who hasn't practiced much in the last month because of a knee injury and is not playing with the quickness he displayed earlier in the season.

DBs: Callahan continues to shine with passes defended each game. Porter looked disinterested this game and often played too soft. I didn't really notice Kyle Fuller but he did finish with 4 tackles, as did Callahan. They were not handed a tough task as the best WR for the 49ers was Boldin. Safeties played well until the last play.

Special teams: Some good play here throughout the game with punts downed inside the 20, a huge booming punt late the game to flip the field with good coverage. Outstanding KR at the end of regulation to give us a shot at a game winning FG. And now our biggest special teams problem is a FG kicker who has "lost it".

Coaching: Good coaching is only going to take you so far. We need more talent on the field at WR but we have those answers on the roster. Other positions like Dline, OLB speed rusher, ILB, interior Oline, need upgrades.

Gould is 26-31 this year (over 80%). He made 15 in a row to start the season and 9 in a row before missing the 2 yesterday. He had a bad game. He cost us the game but he has not lost it.

Peace :bringit

Gould is 26-31 this year (over 80%). He made 15 in a row to start the season and 9 in a row before missing the 2 yesterday. He had a bad game. He cost us the game but he has not lost it.

Peace :bringit

On Gould, I am more concerned about the lack of distance on kickoffs. In today's day and age with the kick moved up, there is no reason other than extreme headwind for a professional kicker not to kick touchbacks consistently. He was behind 31 other kickers in touchback percentage (which includes some backup kickers), so he wasn't the worst kicker, but he is damn sure close. Then you add in his misses costing us 2 games out of 7 losses and it is hard to justify paying him $4.1mil next year.

I have no idea what was up with Jay yesterday but maybe this had something to do with it. Odd that this isn't bigger news. If it was Brady's dog that was missing it would be on the cover of every newspaper.

On Gould, I am more concerned about the lack of distance on kickoffs. In today's day and age with the kick moved up, there is no reason other than extreme headwind for a professional kicker not to kick touchbacks consistently. He was behind 31 other kickers in touchback percentage (which includes some backup kickers), so he wasn't the worst kicker, but he is damn sure close. Then you add in his misses costing us 2 games out of 7 losses and it is hard to justify paying him $4.1mil next year.

I agree. He's got to be on the chopping block this year with that salary.

He cost us one game this year. The Viking miss happened earlier in the game. They had plenty of chances other than that to win.

Peace :dabears

I have no idea what was up with Jay yesterday but maybe this had something to do with it. Odd that this isn't bigger news. If it was Brady's dog that was missing it would be on the cover of every newspaper.

Yeah he was off, everything seemed a little bit off, I wonder if there was some letdown from the extended break from the Thanksgiving game and high of beating GB.

For Jay, yeah, hard to concentrate on anything when a family member is missing like that.

On the salary Robbie is earning he needs to make the earlier kick in the Minnesota game and this game that is 2 wins. Blair Walsh out kicked him the Minnesota game. If he makes the kick I would look at keeping him even if the salary is high but when you don't do your job then your position will be looked at.

Also his kickoff' are poor.

Went to the game yesterday, will be watching the replay tonight. I still cant believe the Bears lost yesterday.

The way they lost is what really blows my mind away.

Blaine Gabbert looked liked Colin Kapernick on that 40 yard TD run

The Bears SP Teams comes up big with that return, finally the SP does something great and the Sp teams goes and shits the bed. Very unlike Robbie.

In overtime, Gabbert and Smith connect on a 60 yard TD bomb.........WTF

Talk about tales of tow different teams, one Bears team shows up on primetime thanksgiving thurday night game ans beats the Packers in GB on short rest. The next Bears team shows up at home with extra time to heal and losses to the 49ers.

On the salary Robbie is earning he needs to make the earlier kick in the Minnesota game and this game that is 2 wins. Blair Walsh out kicked him the Minnesota game. If he makes the kick I would look at keeping him even if the salary is high but when you don't do your job then your position will be looked at.

Also his kickoff' are poor.

He had made 15 in a row before the kick he missed against Minnesota. He is not the reason they lost that game.

He had made 15 in a row before the kick he missed against Minnesota. He is not the reason they lost that game.

There were a lot of reasons we lost, and he was part of the reason with 2 missed kicks.

He is tied for the league lead in missed FG's under 40 yards, and only Sturgis has a worse percentage under 40.

Also, if you are including XP's, then yes 15 kicks, but if you are only counting FGs, then it is more like 7 or 8 straight. Also, in those 7 or 8, 6 were within 40 yards.

He has missed at least one kick in 3 of the last 6 games, and in two of those he missed 2 kicks. So we want a kicker to miss a kick every other game and to miss 2 kicks on average, every 3rd game? He also had a near miss XP against GB and has continually failed to reach the end zone on kickoffs.

He has missed at least one kick in 3 of the last 6 games, and in two of those he missed 2 kicks. So we want a kicker to miss a kick every other game and to miss 2 kicks on average, every 3rd game? He also had a near miss XP against GB and has continually failed to reach the end zone on kickoffs.

I agree with you.

Lot's of cheaper answers than Gould for that level of production. And deeper kickoffs.

No, it's pretty clear his career with the Bears is done unless he's willing to give back some of that money and shows some improvement. At current rates and production level he's a huge disappointment.

There were a lot of reasons we lost, and he was part of the reason with 2 missed kicks.

He is tied for the league lead in missed FG's under 40 yards, and only Sturgis has a worse percentage under 40.

Also, if you are including XP's, then yes 15 kicks, but if you are only counting FGs, then it is more like 7 or 8 straight. Also, in those 7 or 8, 6 were within 40 yards.

Let's get the facts straight:

- He was a perfect 15-15 in the first 6 games of the year.

- He then missed one against Minnesota and 2 against SD.

- He then made nine in a row before missing the last 2 yesterday.

There is no question that he cost us the game yesterday. He was the first one to admit it. He has still made 83.9% of his kicks this year. He also is 5-6 from 50+. I'd be careful looking for a change here. I can remember when the Bears went through a kicking carousel under Wanny and then got rid of Edinger for Doug O'Brien whom they cut after half a season.

I thought this is one of those games where we should have realized we were the better team and been on the accelerator. I like the conservative strategy against better teams / similar teams, but we could have put our throats on the Niners early but failed to execute. We had costly drops (way too many first down drops). Jay had some pourous throws which could have been big plays. Protection was bad. Outside of the rushing attack, it was a pretty pathetic offensive performance all the way around.

Could be one of those games where we see how not getting to practice with guys and having a wideout carousel prevents people from having good offensive timing / flow. Not a pretty game from the execution to the performance to the calls, imo. Everyone had an off week on the offense.

Obviously is a game we should have won and that Gould blew. I do take some solace out of the high powered Cards only scoring 19 points on the 9ers last week though. Not that it really matters though.

Marquess Wilson had been showing signs of becoming a player and he was out as well. So the Bears were missing their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th wide receivers from the beginning of the year.

Obviously is a game we should have won and that Gould blew. I do take some solace out of the high powered Cards only scoring 19 points on the 9ers last week though. Not that it really matters though.

Marquess Wilson had been showing signs of becoming a player and he was out as well. So the Bears were missing their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th wide receivers from the beginning of the year.

And Jeffrey was looking sluggish and had his case of the dropsies as well. I think it is foolish / ignorant to ignore the fact that a lot of guys have missed time and it means your timing won't be perfect. Look at Rodgers struggling in GB or even Brady since he lost Gronk (+ Dion Lewis).

Yeah he was off, everything seemed a little bit off, I wonder if there was some letdown from the extended break from the Thanksgiving game and high of beating GB.

For Jay, yeah, hard to concentrate on anything when a family member is missing like that.

Don't want to sound cold hearted but if it were such a distraction then he should have sat out. His wife gave birth the week prior and if anything would have been experiencing post partum depression when this took place. We don't know the circumstances of his missing but there leaves a lot to be explained according to this report: http://heavy.com/news/2015/12/kristin-cava...video-facebook/

Why is the family so 'hush hush' and that Kristin posted she was sad about missing her high school reunion when two days before was when he went missing? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Brett Favre had one of his best games ever right after his dad passed away. I don't buy the distraction...

FWIW, Jay also was limited in practice Friday due to illness. Not sure what type of illness or if there were any lingering effects, but yeah, just throwing that out there as well.

Really though, it probably has more to do with DBDBs post. Hard to do much of anything with a sluggish AJ, a hurt Royal, you're 1st round WR not yet seeing the field, you're #4 who has played decent being out, and really, Martellus Bennett being MIA/looking disinterested.

FWIW, Jay also was limited in practice Friday due to illness. Not sure what type of illness or if there were any lingering effects, but yeah, just throwing that out there as well.

Really though, it probably has more to do with DBDBs post. Hard to do much of anything with a sluggish AJ, a hurt Royal, you're 1st round WR not yet seeing the field, you're #4 who has played decent being out, and really, Martellus Bennett being MIA/looking disinterested.

I agree with Cutler may have been sick. I also am wondering when did he take that sack when he was slammed to the ground? I know he passed the concussion test but that doesn't mean the hit didn't affect him.

As far as the comment about the WR's being the issue I don't fully agre on that because Cutler missed some open targets that should have been easy completions. I do agree tho that once royal and Wilson and white are in the line up Cutkers life will be made a whole lot easier.

If he was sick, then that was it. As a Type 1 Diabetic, his blood sugars would be all over the place. To low and he would be sluggish and making slow decisions, too high and he is shaky and can't concentrate.