The Bears Recent Fade

lemonej

When I left training camp this summer I was preaching gloom and doom! The team started to win some unexpected games and I got false hope because what I forgot to remember was that depth after starters was going to be a problem. Jeremey Langford also made me forget because he looks like the future at RB. The problem is that when we as fans need to have the Bears website open to the roster to figure out who is on the field at the beginning of games points back to my original thoughts back in the summer. I personally hope that they shut down everyone that has had nagging injuries and truly find out who needs to be here going forward! With all the 1 year contracts this could look even worst next year!

I wouldn't even call it a fade so much as the team is known to be flawed and they've shown those flaws in losing 4 games a team further along would've won. Further, as our resident GM, Jason, says, it's all part of the bigger plan and losing is really winning... At least as far as this season is concerned. And as of the last ten days or so, I agree with him.

The season was made by beating the Packers on Brett Favre day. Along with a few other highlights. I'm very optimistic given the cap space we have, our #1 draft pick last year giving us, effectively, two #1 picks hitting the roster for the first time next year. That along with the coaching staff that turned this pile of dog shit into a team that was most often in the games despite the lack of talent fills me with hope for the future. Imagine this lot with a dozen new play makers next season. It's possible. I'm definitely not worried about the guys on one year deals. Those that performed and are young enough will get new deals of various lengths. Those that didn't are gone. Some vets will be shown the door and Robby G will be leading the conga line out of town. I think Shea and unfortunately Forte will be heading out too.

We'll have to see what's available at QB in the first round next season. Could be Jay's last year next season.

I think the fade is pure lack of talent mixed with new scheme and injuries. No matter how hard you try, if the hill is big enough you can't keep running. And when you stop to take a breath, walk it out, whatever, the hill whoops your ass. The Bears, for the most part, ran hard up the hill. Eventually they had to catch a breather, and the other, deeper, better teams, did not.

Gven all the recent additions to the injury list, Bennett, Callahan, Jeffrey, McPhee, Porter, and Sutton, I'm not that concerned about the losses and I'll take the higher draft pick. Keep bringing up young players like Timu and let's see if they can contribute next year.

Surprisingly nobody has mentioned Callahan as a significant loss but that man was playing good football for us and his replacements are not. ILB continue the merry-go-round but at least Timu put together a strong showing. SMC playing with a concussion is a concern and likely means we won't see him this week.

I'm looking at nothing but future players and we're seeing good things from a few players:

Unrein keeps showing up with a few good plays each game and I think he deserves to be back next year.

Timu responded well to his demotion and returned to action by making a lot of plays around the LOS last week. I look forward to watching him this next game.

Already mentioned Callahan but that kid should be back next year and hopefully we see him this week.

The KR we've had out there the last month or so, Deonte Thomson, has done very well. I wish he could handle punt returns.

Willie Young and Houston have both played some good football for us lately. Both should return, especially given our lack of depth here. Bring in some competition to the mix in the form some real edge speed. Acho can move on.

I was disappointed Carey didn't get any snaps last week. We'll see how they handle the last two games now that playoffs are completely out of the question, I definitely want to see more from him so we can have an idea if he can share the load with Langford next season.