Jeffery unhappy in Chicago

Bears4Ever_34

A source close to Jeffery came away from a recent conversation with him convinced he felt unhappy in Chicago and, at times, isolated because of a lack of close friends since Brandon Marshall's departure. Jeffery mentioned how much he looked forward to free-agency, according to the source.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...102-column.html

From David Haugh's article.

Not surprising. This stuff came from Dan Bernstein about a month ago. Jeffery doesn't have many friends in Chicago because he's so shy, and he wasn't very happy when Marshall got traded.

This injury stuff sure looks like it's derived from a lack of focus and work ethic. It's his way of pouting to get what he wants. My question is, do you now franchise him in order to trade him? Or do you still want to keep him around?

Isn't there a transition tag or something where you can get two 1st's if a team bids on a player who is tagged? I would take two firsts for Jeffery if it came down to it. I really don't want to lose homegrown talent, because those are the types you are suppose to keep around, but if he's going to be a baby about everything, I would rather get something for him and let Pace use a couple extra high picks to rebuild the team.

Not surprising. This stuff came from Dan Bernstein about a month ago. Jeffery doesn't have many friends in Chicago because he's so shy, and he wasn't very happy when Marshall got traded.

This injury stuff sure looks like it's derived from a lack of focus and work ethic. It's his way of pouting to get what he wants. My question is, do you now franchise him in order to trade him? Or do you still want to keep him around?

Isn't there a transition tag or something where you can get two 1st's if a team bids on a player who is tagged? I would take two firsts for Jeffery if it came down to it. I really don't want to lose homegrown talent, because those are the types you are suppose to keep around, but if he's going to be a baby about everything, I would rather get something for him and let Pace use a couple extra high picks to rebuild the team.

That's what many here suspected. Especially with the departure of BM. What's he going to do when Brandon retires, IF, let's say, he were traded to New York? BM has said the Jets will be his last team of course he didn't say how much longer he had.

It's too bad that Jeffery can't try and find anothe mentor among some of the other players. Seems like Royal might be a good one to tag onto. It's even more unfortunate that a guy with as much talent as Jeffery has can turn it off and on as easy as that.

Not gonna happen, but if need be, I wonder if NY would do an Alshon for Decker swap. Doesn't really make sense for the Jets, but it would be perfect for the Bears side of things. Decker played under Fox/Gase, they're similar styled WRs, Alshon gets to reunite with B, and the Bears aren't stuck with a meh free agent/rookie across from White.

Tag him. 100%. Test the trade market, nothing worth trading for...,hopefully things go really well next season and he wants to stay here long term.

Not gonna happen, but if need be, I wonder if NY would do an Alshon for Decker swap. Doesn't really make sense for the Jets, but it would be perfect for the Bears side of things. Decker played under Fox/Gase, they're similar styled WRs, Alshon gets to reunite with B, and the Bears aren't stuck with a meh free agent/rookie across from White.

Have to say that does make some sense. I like it.

Seriously??? That makes plenty of sense for the Jets because Alshon is easily better than Decker.

Makes me feel glad Marshall missed the playoffs yet again...

But to the point, I say tag him for the next 2 years. We have the cap space. Try to find someone in FA or in the draft. Or a trade partner. And continue to work on him on a contract and see if he grows up.

This is just disappointing.

Here's hoping Kevin White kicks ass! But, we still need some complimentary help.

I knew getting rid of BM was a bad idea. Not only did he have another great year in NY, but he also precipitated the Kevin White pick - which is currently very negative - and may end up costing us Alshon as well.

The Bears need good football players who produce on the field. They do not need to dump people who a semi-problematic elsewhere.

I knew getting rid of BM was a bad idea. Not only did he have another great year in NY, but he also precipitated the Kevin White pick - which is currently very negative - and may end up costing us Alshon as well.

The Bears need good football players who produce on the field. They do not need to dump people who a semi-problematic elsewhere.

Can't agree with you on this one. BM was not good for the locker room. Pace and Fox made the decision to move him out. I stand with them on this.

Peace :dabears

Can't agree with you on this one. BM was not good for the locker room. Pace and Fox made the decision to move him out. I stand with them on this.

Peace :dabears

I honestly don't think he was that bad in the locker room. I think the previous coaching staff was just clueless in the locker room. I believe Fox could have easily handled the situation, and kept BM. Three added benefits to this: BM is on the team catching TDs, Alshon wants to stay, 2015's 1st round pick could have been spent on a different position of need instead of filling a hole left by BM.

As Bill Murray said in Meatballs...it just doesn't matter.

He gone. Now what do we do?

I say we do everything (within reason) to retain Jeffrey. There's a big difference between being unhappy and being a problem. Sometimes money and a bit of reassurance can work magic...

I honestly don't think he was that bad in the locker room. I think the previous coaching staff was just clueless in the locker room. I believe Fox could have easily handled the situation, and kept BM. Three added benefits to this: BM is on the team catching TDs, Alshon wants to stay, 2015's 1st round pick could have been spent on a different position of need instead of filling a hole left by BM.

They probably could have, but didn't want to deal with it. It want the old staff that gave him the boot.

Not even an issue for this year. And money talks a lot as does another year around the org. Either way, at a minimum, we have two straight years we can keep him here under our control (as I think you can use the franchise tag twice on a player, before losing that right). Whatever you think you will get for Jeffrey via trade probably does not commensurate with the value he brings to the Bears (and it isn't as if we are a playoff team with plenty of talent who could take a different route).

Bottom line, I think Alshon is stuck with us (unless someone is going to give up a 1st round pick and I don't see that very likely). Also, money talks and he's going to get some big money offers from the Bears.

I don't recall many people saying how much they were going to miss him. What have you heard to think he wasn't a tool in the locker room.

The attitude problems are tough for us to evaluate but there clearly was something there. Aside from that we can't dismiss the likelihood the front office also wanted/needed some cap space in 2015, and again this year. We only gained around $4mil last year and gave $5mil to Royal so that wasn't even a wash. I think it was more for the long term plan in that Pace didn't want to be paying $10mil/yr to Brandon Marshall and $10-12mil/yr for Jeffrey starting in 2016. So in the end maybe a little of both improve the locker room and spend some money elsewhere.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2015/4/21...contract-driven

It was a horrible idea. Marshall is and will be a great player for a few years to come and was being a good teammate and mentor by organizing his offseason stuff and taking Jeffery under his wing.

He even included Jeffery this year after had left for another team.

Sadly, that may not be the biggest blunder from this front office. Have a look at New Orleans talent and team this year. We got the brightest bulb from their tree, that built that hunk of junk team, as our GM. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I'm not too high on Pace. Marshall's year just reinforces that to me.

It was a horrible idea. Marshall is and will be a great player for a few years to come and was being a good teammate and mentor by organizing his offseason stuff and taking Jeffery under his wing.

He even included Jeffery this year after had left for another team.

Sadly, that may not be the biggest blunder from this front office. Have a look at New Orleans talent and team this year. We got the brightest bulb from their tree, that built that hunk of junk team, as our GM. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I'm not too high on Pace. Marshall's year just reinforces that to me.

Marshall won over one player. There are 50 others that despised him. If the trade was straight up for Amos for Marshall, then it is has value because he led this team in tackles and made the all rookie team. Amos has a whole career, Marshall is talking retirement already.

The Bears no longer wanted to deal with him. Hard to blame them when 3/4 of the team did not like him.

Marshall won over one player. There are 50 others that despised him. If the trade was straight up for Amos for Marshall, then it is has value because he led this team in tackles and made the all rookie team. Amos has a whole career, Marshall is talking retirement already.

The Bears no longer wanted to deal with him. Hard to blame them when 3/4 of the team did not like him.

I would love to know 10 of the 50. Amos will probably never start again within 3 years, when they have time to get the talent on the team they want, probably even next year. Marshall was busy dominating.

I can name a few. Gould who sucks now. he was the catalyst for the whole the locker room doesn't like him thing.He's just sour because he was called just a kicker when Marshall was busy trying to get the team fired up and start winning. Briggs who was gone and retired, that was too done with football to pay attention to marshall. Forte acted like he could careless about him. Jay Cutler, who Marshall spent years taking his side and getting his back, then he finally called him out on needing to step up and he really needed to.

I also think it's funny when PPL talk about how Marshall hasn't been in the playoffs, yet he was straddled with Cutler that has been there what, like once, a Miami team that hasn't been there forever, and a Jets team that over achieved this year and should have been.