Lovie Smith fired

adam

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000061...ire-lovie-smith

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Wednesday night that they will not retain coach Lovie Smith.

"After careful consideration, we informed Lovie that we have decided to make a change," Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement released by the team. "I want to thank Lovie for his hard work and dedication to the Buccaneers during his time here. This decision was difficult on a variety of levels. I am disappointed that we were not more successful these past few seasons, but we are committed to doing what is necessary to give our fans the winning team they deserve. As we move forward, General Manager Jason Licht will oversee the process for finding our next head coach."

Yeah, seems odd. Especially given their offense ranked #5 overall last year. Not the trademark normally associated to Lovie coached teams.

http://m.buccaneers.com/s/33201/376?itemUr...150668146141072

Saw that Lavonte David tweeted out his thoughts:

EDIT (David has since deleted his tweets): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000061...surprise-firing

Just saw that come up. Did he say something that got him fired? This doesn't make much sense.

Hard to believe he was let go so soon. They have to have their mind set on a certain coach to replace him with, you would think. An offensive mind for Winston? Or a defensive mind to get a way from the cover who? Please don't let me see a tweet that TB has requested to interview Fangio.

Hard to believe he was let go so soon. They have to have their mind set on a certain coach to replace him with, you would think. An offensive mind for Winston? Or a defensive mind to get a way from the cover who? Please don't let me see a tweet that TB has requested to interview Fangio.

I saw some rumors that their OC Koetter is a HC candidate (like Gase) and TB ownership didn't want to risk losing him. Some speculate he'll be the next HC.

Wasn't there a bet on this board between two members about how well Lovie would do? Or how well Lovie would do vs. another coach? Something like that?

Yes Mr Busybody there was. And it was settled already. To aid your memory it was a comparison between Trestman and Lovie and who would fare better. Seems it was nearly a draw. Only difference was one was improving their lot, the other was not.

All settled!

If there ever was a lose-lose, win scenario...at least some charities got some loot!

http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?...rt=#entry137965

Yes Mr Busybody there was. And it was settled already. To aid your memory it was a comparison between Trestman and Lovie and who would fare better. Seems it was nearly a draw. Only difference was one was improving their lot, the other was not.

I honestly couldn't remember what it was. Sorry Lovie didn't take the Bucs to the SB like you desperately wanted. Turns out he's still an average HC, and a good DC.

I honestly couldn't remember what it was. Sorry Lovie didn't take the Bucs to the SB like you desperately wanted. Turns out he's still an average HC, and a good DC.

Well you'd be wrong in that he's not a bad coach, as has been evidenced by the comments of some of the players on the Bucs and others with the Bears. But since you base your success rate on how many championships you garner then it's a wasted discussion...again. Now to figure out why you don't have that same philosophy with QBs.

Well you'd be wrong in that he's not a bad coach, as has been evidenced by the comments of some of the players on the Bucs and others with the Bears. But since you base your success rate on how many championships you garner then it's a wasted discussion...again. Now to figure out why you don't have that same philosophy with QBs.

I think Lovie is a good coach, I agree with you there. With regards to championships -he had a lot of control here in Chicago, when you dont win a championship it directly points to you.

In regards to not winning a SB while being the QB, you don't control who they draft, sign as a FA and what coaches are hired.

Dan Marino never won a SB. He still is one of the all time greats, because of his individual accomplishments . When it comes to Coaches you cant be considered one of the all time greats without winning a SB because you are judged on how well your TEAM does.

I think Lovie is a good coach, I agree with you there. With regards to championships -he had a lot of control here in Chicago, when you dont win a championship it directly points to you.

In regards to not winning a SB while being the QB, you don't control who they draft, sign as a FA and what coaches are hired.

Dan Marino never won a SB. He still is one of the all time greats, because of his individual accomplishments . When it comes to Coaches you cant be considered one of the all time greats without winning a SB because you are judged on how well your TEAM does.

Intersting. So the same should be applied to coach Fox?

Absurd move by the Bucs. I presume Gase would be extremely interested in the gig (although the fact that ownership canned Lovie, who didn't deserve it, that quickly, would make you nervous). That said, getting to work with Winston and building around him would be very attractive to any potential head coach.

His players were pretty pissed off (based upon NFL network reports last night).

Fairly certain Lovie will get another job. He got royally screwed in Tampa.

Intersting. So the same should be applied to coach Fox?

I dont think Fox is considered an all time great at this point in his career. He has been to two SB's with two different teams which I dont think many HC can say. I think he may have a better overall body of work than Lovie just because he took two different teams to the SB. I have never really looked at Lovie and Fox side by side, will have to do that.

I base my evaluation of coaches on FAR more than that. Go look at the archives. There are countless times Lovie inadequacies have been discussed. Just because his players like him doesn't make him a good coach.

I base my evaluation of coaches on FAR more than that. Go look at the archives. There are countless times Lovie inadequacies have been discussed. Just because his players like him doesn't make him a good coach.

Is that right? ? Interesting perspective.

Your "evaluation" process is no more than personal bias and conjecture. His "inadequacies" again are your personal feelings, not the standard. I know you may find this hard to accept but it's reality. Just as biased as my belief that Lovie is a good coach. My opinion is not the end all. I just am basing it on what I see and "hear". And from what I hear, players who actually have logged some time in the NFL like him...as a coach.

I dont think Fox is considered an all time great at this point in his career. He has been to two SB's with two different teams which I dont think many HC can say. I think he may have a better overall body of work than Lovie just because he took two different teams to the SB. I have never really looked at Lovie and Fox side by side, will have to do that.

Listening to the score it sounds like the GM and OC may have been in on it together....Who knows tho. They went over somethings that he did wrong but 2 years is too short. The biggest mistake he made was sign a bunch of FA last year for some big money and most have cut already.

For everyone debating Good coach/ Bad coach

Bad Coach = Trestman

Good Coach = Lovie

Amazing Coach = Bill Belicheck

Listening to the score it sounds like the GM and OC may have been in on it together....Who knows tho. They went over somethings that he did wrong but 2 years is too short. The biggest mistake he made was sign a bunch of FA last year for some big money and most have cut already.

For everyone debating Good coach/ Bad coach

Bad Coach = Trestman

Good Coach = Lovie

Amazing Coach = Bill Belicheck

Nice response. And on your point about FA issues being a fault of Lovie. Have to agree and that I have seen a few others (presumably TB fans) say that same thing. I've always thought that to be a weakness of Lovies. He tries too hard to appease 'his guys'. Archuleta, Martz(?), Orlando Pace, Manumaluena (examples for the Bears) and Conte, Major Wright, Tim Jennings and Melton in TB. Although admirable not always the best course in this business.

Nice response. And on your point about FA issues being a fault of Lovie. Have to agree and that I have seen a few others (presumably TB fans) say that same thing. I've always thought that to be a weakness of Lovies. He tries too hard to appease 'his guys'. Archuleta, Martz(?), Orlando Pace, Manumaluena (examples for the Bears) and Conte, Major Wright, Tim Jennings and Melton in TB. Although admirable not always the best course in this business.

To add to your point on Lovies Guys=Lovie's son was the DB coach. That unit is curcial to run Lovies D and the unit as a whole was terrible. Forgot to add that one on my earlier post, heard that on the score as well.

Probably jumped the gun a bit too soon, but for a coach who hangs his hat on defense, giving up the 27th most points is pretty damning.

If you look at what the Bucs did, they put absolutely zero focus on their defense. The drafts were to build up their offense and it appeared their plan was to now focus on the defense this draft and off-season.