Bears pending FA articles

killakrzydav

We basically have 5 starters eligible. Jeffrey, Forte, Miller, Jenkins and Porter. Everybody is just a minimum salary type of guy. What's likely:

Jeffrey: We franchise him. I'll be shocked if we don't.

Forte: I think he gone. I hate to see it but I think it's likely.

Zach Miller: He's a big play guy. After Jeffrey, this is a priority signing since we seem destined to give the Black Unicorn the Brandon Marshall treatment.

Jenkins: He was a solid DE. Nothing special. Whatever.

Porter: He was really good but we had a lot of no name cornerbacks play really good. What does that mean?

Players I'd like to see back in order of priority:

Jeffrey. He'll be tagged if needed but I think we come to an agreement on a long term deal before we get that far.

Zach Miller: Should be relatively cheap and a 3yr deal seems reasonable with maybe 1/3 guaranteed.

Prosinski: His might be a 1 year deal but special teams coverage got a whole lot better once he was signed. As a backup S he's serviceable and that gives him some more value than just a pure special teams guy. There's going to be more high turnover at the bottom end of our roster and he can be the guy who brings continuity to our coverage teams.

Porter: I'm not as enamored with Porter as others are but I think we need to sign him simply because we have nothing much at CB. I'm not breaking the bank for him either but I don't think he'll get that much interest around the league. There isn't a lot of talent at CB in FA so it will be interesting to see what else we do. I'm sure we'll sign at least one other starting quality FA. We may see two CBs drafted.

SMC: I wouldn't guarantee him a starting job but I'd bring him back to compete. We really have nothing here and need some continuity. I like Timu but his range is limited. I don't see Timu or SMC as more than backups long term. We need to sign a starter in FA and draft another guy to compete for a starting role.

Unrein: I thought he played well for us and would like to see him back to compete for a spot.

Jenkins: I put him on par, or just slightly behind Unrein. He played great early then sort of disappeared. Bring him back and let him compete.

Might be interested depending on..

Montgomery...ideally we draft or sign someone to be our starter at RG. Osemele! I see Grasu as the starter at Center and think the team will be good with Slauson as the backup there, or possibly the rookie or FA we sign also has backup C experience.

Forte....I'd love to see him back but don't want the big money contract for an aging RB. I expect Pace let's Forte test the market and then see's if he wants to match.

Jacquizz Rodgers...why not bring him back? He did enough early on to backup Forte. He's cheap so let him compete for that 2nd/3rd spot again. Sign him early while we wait to see what happens with Forte.

Housler...another 1yr no commitment deal can't hurt if the team liked what he did late in the season.

Mundy....hard to get a read on what the coaches thought of him but I think Fangio wants more range in his safeties than what Mundy offers. He fell down the depth chart quickly in camp before the injury so I doubt he's back. OTOH we don't have depth at Safety.

Not interested:

Ball...waste of $3mil

McManis....he was not that good on special teams coverage and he was not good as a DB.

Acho...Houston and Young out performed him by a lot. McPhee is locked in as one starter and we need a real speed element to the outside rush and that's not what Acho offers.

Ducasse....just sign Osemele and we'll work to forget Ducasse was ever on our roster.

Mariani....KR/PR not good. Slot WR was just ok but we're rebuilding here and need to draft a late Rd returner/slot guy.