Who are we signing at RB?

AZ54

Now that we've all thanked Forte for his many contributions to the Bears for the last 8 years it's time to figure out who we are adding to the roster at RB. There is no way a RB focused coach like Fox is heading into the season with Langford and Carey as certain #1/2 on the roster, and with no clear 3rd option. I don't think there is much love for S. Perry among the coaches. I've seen no signs they are very interested in re-signing Jacquizz Rodgers, although he might be offered another 1 yr deal later in FA.

While they will be looking for Langford to assume that #1 role I can't see Pace or Fox just handing it to him. There will be some competition for the job and I don't put Carey in the mix for #1 role with his lack of speed. Carey competing for the #2/3 spot fits better.

That means we're signing a FA RB or we're drafting one again. I would think the club prefers to bring in a vet FA to mix in with the younger guys but since they completely walked away from Forte before Free Agency began that seems unlikely. Unless we target a guy like Bronco FA Ronnie Hillman that means we're using a draft pick to bring in a RB. Hillman didn't exactly wow anyone this past season and reportedly he's got no special teams value. That special teams ability might be the key to who we go after. If Langford is your #1 RB and Carey can't do much on special teams then we might be going after a RB who can also be a KR/PR.

Yes, this will blow up the "everyone agrees" mock but after thinking this over the last week I don't see Pace and Fox heading into the season without another solid option at RB.

Look in further than John Fox's 2014 Broncos team. The RBs that year were a 23 year old Ronnie Hillman and a 23 year old CJ Anderson. Neither of whom were starters previously...... I think that is what we see this coming up year.

The fact that they didn't even discuss a deal, or even leave the door open for Forte tells me they're going with what they have.

Senorice Perry was injured last year, so we don't know how much they like him. He does have 4.3 speed and can play special teams, so there's that. They may upgrade over him, but I would be disappointed if it was anything more than a 5th round pick.

I think they just resign Rodgers. Provides good continuity from last year. He did a decent job last year in his role and is probably a better pass-catcher at the moment than Langford/Carey. He was cheap last year and should only come cheaper this year. It makes no sense to get a guy in the first 5 rounds of the draft or so, nor does it make sense to spend much money on someone in FA. So if it's not Rodgers, it's a late round FA, or maybe, like you said, a guy with some special team experience like Benny Cunningham.

Yes, this will blow up the "everyone agrees" mock but after thinking this over the last week I don't see Pace and Fox heading into the season without another solid option at RB.

I don't think it does. A rookie RB just doesn't fit. If the Bears plan on bringing in some competition for Langford, it will be a mediocre priced/skilled vet.

Now that we've all thanked Forte for his many contributions to the Bears for the last 8 years it's time to figure out who we are adding to the roster at RB. There is no way a RB focused coach like Fox is heading into the season with Langford and Carey as certain #1/2 on the roster, and with no clear 3rd option. I don't think there is much love for S. Perry among the coaches. I've seen no signs they are very interested in re-signing Jacquizz Rodgers, although he might be offered another 1 yr deal later in FA.

While they will be looking for Langford to assume that #1 role I can't see Pace or Fox just handing it to him. There will be some competition for the job and I don't put Carey in the mix for #1 role with his lack of speed. Carey competing for the #2/3 spot fits better.

That means we're signing a FA RB or we're drafting one again. I would think the club prefers to bring in a vet FA to mix in with the younger guys but since they completely walked away from Forte before Free Agency began that seems unlikely. Unless we target a guy like Bronco FA Ronnie Hillman that means we're using a draft pick to bring in a RB. Hillman didn't exactly wow anyone this past season and reportedly he's got no special teams value. That special teams ability might be the key to who we go after. If Langford is your #1 RB and Carey can't do much on special teams then we might be going after a RB who can also be a KR/PR.

I had been considering this very thing just before the 'no deal' announcement and how I could see them trying to build a young stable of Rbs going forward. I kinda half wished they'd look at a hybrid RB/ ILB player like the kid from UCLa(?). But knowing they need ILB more than RB, probably not. So my guess is they'll go later rounds (3-4) for a RB.

I could see them looking at either a Collins or Williams from Arkansas. Highly touted tandem that show up in these rounds in a few mocks.

My late round flyer (6-7th) would be San Jose RB Tyler Ervin. He will get some name recognition at the combine with his speed. His size is not really NFL caliber to be an every down back, but as a ST'er or 3rd down guy, and slot wr, I think he can do some good things.

Tyler Ervin 5'10" 177

Percy Harvin 5'11" 184

"As an athlete, Ervin is one of the most explosive players in the country" "Defenders left in space one-on-one have little or no chance"

Bring in a "wow" guy to mix in some on offense. If an injury happens to Langford, we should still be able to find guys off the scrap heap.

I don't think it does. A rookie RB just doesn't fit. If the Bears plan on bringing in some competition for Langford, it will be a mediocre priced/skilled vet.

Why not both? Langford was a pleasant surprise as a 4th rounder. Would it be a shock to see us use another 4th rounder on a RB? If not in the 4th, I got to think that one of our 3 sixth round picks will be dedicated to the RB position.

That being said, we still need to bring in a veteran rb. Hillman won't make much and could be had for a one year deal.

I look to see us carrying 4 RB's on the 53. Bring in a rookie, bring in a vet, and roll with what we have.

My late round flyer (6-7th) would be San Jose RB Tyler Ervin. He will get some name recognition at the combine with his speed. His size is not really NFL caliber to be an every down back, but as a ST'er or 3rd down guy, and slot wr, I think he can do some good things.

Tyler Ervin 5'10" 177

Percy Harvin 5'11" 184

"As an athlete, Ervin is one of the most explosive players in the country" "Defenders left in space one-on-one have little or no chance"

Bring in a "wow" guy to mix in some on offense. If an injury happens to Langford, we should still be able to find guys off the scrap heap.

The kid looks explosive. The video below shows some serious talent. But you know who interested me? The DB who tracked him down at about 1:53: Donnie Duncan. Wow. How is that guy not rated anywhere?! On athleticism alone he's someone I would like to see on the Bears.

Highlight video

Side note: I can't get the video to embed. Did something change on the board? Or on youtube?

Why not both? Langford was a pleasant surprise as a 4th rounder. Would it be a shock to see us use another 4th rounder on a RB? If not in the 4th, I got to think that one of our 3 sixth round picks will be dedicated to the RB position.

That being said, we still need to bring in a veteran rb. Hillman won't make much and could be had for a one year deal.

I look to see us carrying 4 RB's on the 53. Bring in a rookie, bring in a vet, and roll with what we have.

Why not both? Because there are worse positions that need more attention. That's basically it. IF they use a 4th on a RB it means neglecting a position that doesn't already have a potential star in the making and a suitable backup.

Based on the compromise draft alone, we need OL, DE, ILB, CB, SS, a backup QB, and assorted players.

The kid looks explosive. The video below shows some serious talent. But you know who interested me? The DB who tracked him down at about 1:53: Donnie Duncan. Wow. How is that guy not rated anywhere?! On athleticism alone he's someone I would like to see on the Bears.

Highlight video

Side note: I can't get the video to embed. Did something change on the board? Or on youtube?

I think he rises some if he puts up a low 40. I haven't seen this video before but it gave me Hester impressions but with a real position. They even list him at 202, which if he weighs closer to that will also improve his stock. Would the Bears spend a 5th on him?

Fox likes his RBs in all shapes (Hillman 5'9" 196)

Pace helped bring in Cook for the Saints (5'10" 185), who is also similiar in size.

Forte opens the door for another RB

As for the DB, he looked like be had good size also.

Know who else looks fast?

This guy.

https://youtu.be/7gJTvrPIHwU

Still have a hope for Perry. Ervin is in the same mold, but has stats. Conferences may have a little to do with it, but Ervins numbers are very good. 2500+ all purpose yds to Perry's 1000 all purpose on their best season.

Ervin in round 6-7 would be nice as a late rounder.

Highlight video

I had watched some highlights of this kid a week ago. Best thing I can say is that he's a football player and he's not afraid of contact. Jacquizz Rodgers was that way in college despite the slight stature. He fits the bill perfectly since he can return punts, and therefore kicks as well. Toss him out there for 10-15 snaps a game to mix it up and we're good.

Know who else looks fast?

This guy.

https://youtu.be/7gJTvrPIHwU

In preseason? Against a bunch of players that are now unemployed.

Just sayin, perhaps hell stick after getting put on the IR last year and that was really the only reason Carey stuck around. Perry was productive on special teams the year prior. If they draft/sign another back then we'll know more what the plan is.

Just sayin, perhaps hell stick after getting put on the IR last year and that was really the only reason Carey stuck around. Perry was productive on special teams the year prior. If they draft/sign another back then we'll know more what the plan is.

Did he not look fast? That's all I'm saying.

The 3rd RB on most teams blows anyway. Carey showed a lot and I think he'mm be a capable #2

Perry is still fast, he just doesn't offer enough shiftiness to find his way through traffic. Your point is valid in that Ervin might appear to be fast due to level of competition. Watch him rush for 160yds against an SEC opponent Auburn in 2015. He still is fast. He might not have the absolute best long speed but his acceleration and shiftiness on cuts is outstanding.

Why not both? Because there are worse positions that need more attention. That's basically it. IF they use a 4th on a RB it means neglecting a position that doesn't already have a potential star in the making and a suitable backup.

Based on the compromise draft alone, we need OL, DE, ILB, CB, SS, a backup QB, and assorted players.

The difference is, RB seems to be the one position where you can draft a potential star in the 4th round.

Yeah, we have a ton of spots we need to fill, but I imagine we will once again sign about 50 veterans to one year "prove it" contracts. Most of those veterans will be more ready to fill in productively than your typical 4th round draft pick.

It sucks not having a stud running back. From Curtis Enis, to Anthony Thomas, to Cedric Benson . . . we finally hit it with Matt Forte. Maybe Jeremy Langford can be the guy or maybe we can have a flat out committee that works. Either way, I'd feel much better if we brought in another young player to push him.

The difference is, RB seems to be the one position where you can draft a potential star in the 4th round.

Yeah, we have a ton of spots we need to fill, but I imagine we will once again sign about 50 veterans to one year "prove it" contracts. Most of those veterans will be more ready to fill in productively than your typical 4th round draft pick.

It sucks not having a stud running back. From Curtis Enis, to Anthony Thomas, to Cedric Benson . . . we finally hit it with Matt Forte. Maybe Jeremy Langford can be the guy or maybe we can have a flat out committee that works. Either way, I'd feel much better if we brought in another young player to push him.

By that logic we should draft a RB in the mid-rounds every year, because, ya know, we might find a stud.

The Bears have Langford and Carey. That's 1 & 2. They shouldn't do anything more than find a warm body with potential after that. Sinorice Perry, Jaquizz, the fast kid being discussed in the thread. Spending anything more than a 6th on a RB would be a stupid move.