Jerome Bushrod---color him gone

Stinger226

He built his career from being a 4th round draft pick to a Pro Bowl player and I respect how he handled himself as a professional. While he didn't hit the Pro Bowl level while he was here he played well for us and was a class act during his time here. No surprise seeing the Bears move in another direction. Overthecap has us sitting at $60mil in space. Next on the list might be Antrel Rolle after we see who we can sign at S in FA.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Also worth keeping in mind: If he's cut, Martellus Bennett only has a cap dead money of $1.1mil, and generates cap savings of $5.2mil in cap space. I personally would like to keep Bennett around but it's possible the club doesn't want to deal with his headaches long term and they could look to sign someone like the Colts' Coby Fleener who grew up outside Chicago.

I don't know what Fleener's market value is although one Indy source puts it around $4/yr. Presumably Bennett wants $7-8mil/yr, or more, in his next deal. Is it better to give $8mil/yr to Bennett on his 3rd deal or something like $4mil/yr to a younger Fleener on his 2nd deal? We could also target the Colts other TE Dwayne Allen who is the better blocker and will likely come cheaper, and pair him with Zach Miller?

Also worth keeping in mind: If he's cut, Martellus Bennett only has a cap dead money of $1.1mil, and generates cap savings of $5.2mil in cap space. I personally would like to keep Bennett around but it's possible the club doesn't want to deal with his headaches long term and they could look to sign someone like the Colts' Coby Fleener who grew up outside Chicago.

I don't know what Fleener's market value is although one Indy source puts it around $4/yr. Presumably Bennett wants $7-8mil/yr, or more, in his next deal. Is it better to give $8mil/yr to Bennett on his 3rd deal or something like $4mil/yr to a younger Fleener on his 2nd deal? We could also target the Colts other TE Dwayne Allen who is the better blocker and will likely come cheaper, and pair him with Zach Miller?

I read where the Colts will try to resign Fleener and let allen go, of which I think is overall a better player.

Around 59M as of right now. Not sure of their cap numbers but I'm guessing on of Rolle or Mundy get cut at some point pushing that number over 60.

Mundy is a FA. Rolle will be next and save us anotehr $2.7mil. Another name to consider is Wilson, who would save us $1.6mil. He never really emerged into anything. If they release Rolle and Wilson, the Bears would only have 13 players with an average annual cap hit over $1mil.

I'm iffy on Fleener. He drops a lot of passes in crucial situations. Same was said for Marty B and he played well for us.

I don't think having more cap space is all that good to be honest, we are already 3rd with 60 million.

The Bears are one of the top teams with the least amount of players under contract also, maybe 5 teams with fewer.

The Bears are also one of the highest in terms of having dead cap space, with 6.5 million this year, that is a star player "dead".

I think they would have informed and released any vets early like they did with Bushrod if they were planning on doing so. I do not see anyone else getting released until they sign a replacement.

If Bennett wants $7-8M a year, kiss his ass goodbye. No way in hell a TE is worth that much unless they are producing big time numbers.

I hope they can work something out with Marty(extension that is good for both parties). Cutting Marty opens up another NEED, the Bears have enough NEEDS already. IF the Bears were in a better position in overall talent on the roster I think this is something they would look at.

Who knows tho, if the Bears are thinking they are another year or two away from contending it makes sense to cut ties with him now. If that is case this is going to look like a Cubs rebuild and not a quick turnaround. With how close the Bears were in almost every game last year I cant see them thinking they cant win next year with the right roster moves and solid draft again.