Bears interested in Broncos Safety David Burton

bradjock

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/17/rep...y-david-bruton/

Is there any guy on the Bronco defense we are not interested in? The timing of this report is weird since it's 21 days until free agency and he appears to be a mediocre starting safety. You figure it came from the agent, but again, he's a mediocre safety who happened to play for the best defense in the league.

I read he filled in admirably as a starter last year and that he's a special teams ace. Doesn't sound like the worst addition in the world.

Here's what everyone's favorite PFF had to say about him....

8. David Bruton

2015 team: Denver Broncos

What team is finally going to give Bruton a shot to start in the NFL? In a rotational role over the course of his career, he has put up a +9.1 coverage grade in 1,474 snaps over seven seasons. In the NFL, if you’re not a high draft pick and you’re not starting by the end of your rookie contract, usually it is impossible for you to shake the “backup” label. Bruton should certainly be given a chance to, though, next season.

From the looks of it he's also a good dude with some leadership qualities.

I read he filled in admirably as a starter last year and that he's a special teams ace. Doesn't sound like the worst addition in the world.

Here's what everyone's favorite PFF had to say about him....

8. David Bruton

2015 team: Denver Broncos

What team is finally going to give Bruton a shot to start in the NFL? In a rotational role over the course of his career, he has put up a +9.1 coverage grade in 1,474 snaps over seven seasons. In the NFL, if you’re not a high draft pick and you’re not starting by the end of your rookie contract, usually it is impossible for you to shake the “backup” label. Bruton should certainly be given a chance to, though, next season.

From the looks of it he's also a good dude with some leadership qualities.

A +9.1 from PFF either means this guy is the next Fencik, or he shouldn't even be in the NFL. It's hard to tell.

Broncos should have their hands tied a bit in the FA process because they'll be sorting out how much to pay, Von Miller, then Osweiller, and then Brandon Marshall. They have $8mil in cap space right now. I assume rookie pool will be at least $5mil if not higher this year so that leaves $3mil. If, more likely when, Manning retires that frees up $19mil.

So there's $22mil available and next season they have $86mil in space so they can move some bonuses into 2017. Without Manning in order to repeat in the Superbowl priority #1 has to be to keep the defense intact as much as possible. Good luck attempting to keep Von Miller from getting close to $20mil/yr after he fueled their run through the playoffs. Osweiller is going to get at least $10mil/yr and if he's any good at negotiating should have closer to $15mil. What else are the Broncos going to do coming off a Superbowl season? Looking at LB contracts I'd think Brandon Marshall will command $8-9mil/yr. They can play with the numbers and move bonuses into 2017 as much as possible but I can't see how they don't consume all of their cap space with those three contracts.

Broncos should have their hands tied a bit in the FA process because they'll be sorting out how much to pay, Von Miller, then Osweiller, and then Brandon Marshall. They have $8mil in cap space right now. I assume rookie pool will be at least $5mil if not higher this year so that leaves $3mil. If, more likely when, Manning retires that frees up $19mil.

So there's $22mil available and next season they have $86mil in space so they can move some bonuses into 2017. Without Manning in order to repeat in the Superbowl priority #1 has to be to keep the defense intact as much as possible. Good luck attempting to keep Von Miller from getting close to $20mil/yr after he fueled their run through the playoffs. Osweiller is going to get at least $10mil/yr and if he's any good at negotiating should have closer to $15mil. What else are the Broncos going to do coming off a Superbowl season? Looking at LB contracts I'd think Brandon Marshall will command $8-9mil/yr. They can play with the numbers and move bonuses into 2017 as much as possible but I can't see how they don't consume all of their cap space with those three contracts.

I readily admit to ignoring the salary cap aspect of the NFL for the most part. But what you've laid out is interesting. It sounds like with Manning's departure they should be able to keep their defense in tact for the most part.

I got to thinking about the Broncos defense, and I hope the Bears don't overpay for any of the available players. Particularly a safety on that team. Let me explain...

Before they picked up the duo of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, they were not that special.

2015: 4th Pts, 1st yds, 8th TOs, 1st pass yds, 1st rush yds (Phillips)

2014: 16th Pts, 3rd yds, 14th TOs, 9th pass yds, 2nd rush yds (Del Rio)

2013: 22nd Pts, 19th yds, 16th TOs, 27th pass yds, 7th rush yds (Del Rio)

I believe a lot of their supplementary defensive players got a boost when the pass rushing combo of Ware and Miller got together, and a further boost when Wade Phillips took over from Jack Del Rio. Simply put, when you group a combo of dominant pass rushers together, it's minimizes the time the QB has in the pocket, and it lessens the responsibilities of other players in terms of pass defense. Those players get to focus their efforts on rush defense a bit more.

The Bears don't have those dominant pass rushers, and I'm not sure how big of an impact either of the Broncos' ILBs or Safeties would make on the Bears.

I got to thinking about the Broncos defense, and I hope the Bears don't overpay for any of the available players. Particularly a safety on that team. Let me explain...

Before they picked up the duo of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, they were not that special.

2015: 4th Pts, 1st yds, 8th TOs, 1st pass yds, 1st rush yds (Phillips)

2014: 16th Pts, 3rd yds, 14th TOs, 9th pass yds, 2nd rush yds (Del Rio)

2013: 22nd Pts, 19th yds, 16th TOs, 27th pass yds, 7th rush yds (Del Rio)

I believe a lot of their supplementary defensive players got a boost when the pass rushing combo of Ware and Miller got together, and a further boost when Wade Phillips took over from Jack Del Rio. Simply put, when you group a combo of dominant pass rushers together, it's minimizes the time the QB has in the pocket, and it lessens the responsibilities of other players in terms of pass defense. Those players get to focus their efforts on rush defense a bit more.

The Bears don't have those dominant pass rushers, and I'm not sure how big of an impact either of the Broncos' ILBs or Safeties would make on the Bears.

First, I think it's impossible for Denver to keep that defense entirely together but they'll keep the core players. Malik Jackson is not a core player and they can find a replacement early in the draft. Bruton is a backup player but he's really good on special teams, something we need. If he's willing to come in and anchor our special teams and compete for a starting job I think that's a good fit.

Your point is valid about the dominant pass rush being the biggest factor on that D. I'm not that enamored with Malik Jackson for the same reason: The edge rushers put so much pressure on the Oline, even with stunts, that it's going to make him free from time to time. Even with that he didn't dominate. Then you add in that Wolfe on the other side was the better player and that means Jackson was almost always 1on1. I think he's a good player but not one worth over-paying for, especially with the talent available in this draft.

First, I think it's impossible for Denver to keep that defense entirely together but they'll keep the core players. Malik Jackson is not a core player and they can find a replacement early in the draft. Bruton is a backup player but he's really good on special teams, something we need. If he's willing to come in and anchor our special teams and compete for a starting job I think that's a good fit. Your point is valid about the dominant pass rush being the biggest factor on that D. I'm not that enamored with Malik Jackson for the same reason: The edge rushers put so much pressure on the Oline, even with stunts, that it's going to make him free from time to time. Even with that he didn't dominate. Then you add in that Wolfe on the other side was the better player and that means Jackson was almost always 1on1. I think he's a good player but not one worth over-paying for, especially with the talent available in this draft.

I believe they will release Talib and ask Ware to restructure to keep the young core intact. If Ware does not help out, he may be released also.

I believe they will release Talib and ask Ware to restructure to keep the young core intact. If Ware does not help out, he may be released also.

That's interesting. Ware played well enough last year that he might force their hand and make them cut him because he will find a nice new contract with significant bonus money on another team.