Chris Long and James Laurinaitis released by Rams

adam

Long might not be a fit, but Laurinaittis intrigues me. I would prefer Trevathon but James is another guy who's solid in coverage and would be a welcome 2nd option.

Long as a 3-4 DE? I think it could work. I was just thinking how motivated Kyle and him would be, playing on the same team.

Do you know when they can be signed? Is it open season?

Mar 9th is the start of the signing period but teams can talk with players starting Mar 7th.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000063...-dates-for-2016

I'm not that interested in Chris Long. I don't know his injury history the last two seasons nor do I see a clear fit in what we need at OLB or DE. Laurinitis might be worth a look.

Heck all three are decent players. And like it was suggested with Bennett probably gone Cook would be viable option to fill in. He's no slouch. You almost have to give each a shot.

I don't see the point in replacing one sometimes malcontent player in Bennett with another in Cook. I doubt Pace/Fox go that direction.

Mar 9th is the start of the signing period but teams can talk with players starting Mar 7th.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000063...-dates-for-2016

I'm not that interested in Chris Long. I don't know his injury history the last two seasons nor do I see a clear fit in what we need at OLB or DE. Laurinitis might be worth a look.

Wow, I'm surprised by this to be quite honest.

1. Long has been injured the last two years, but before that he was a stud.

2. He's got great size/speed combo for a 3-4 DE.

3. There is no denying his natural genes.

4. Going against his brother increases the likelihood the Bears will be able to resign Kyle without much fuss.

5. Chris was injured against the Packers, which creates a natural enemy for him.

6. He didn't miss a game in his first 6 years.

7. Going against his brother will likely make him fight harder.

I honestly don't see much bad in picking him up. The only thing that worries me is the potential price tag.

Wow, I'm surprised by this to be quite honest. 1. Long has been injured the last two years, but before that he was a stud. 2. He's got great size/speed combo for a 3-4 DE. 3. There is no denying his natural genes. 4. Going against his brother increases the likelihood the Bears will be able to resign Kyle without much fuss. 5. Chris was injured against the Packers, which creates a natural enemy for him. 6. He didn't miss a game in his first 6 years. 7. Going against his brother will likely make him fight harder. I honestly don't see much bad in picking him up. The only thing that worries me is the potential price tag.

Per NFL.com Long is 6' 3" and 268lbs. McPhee is 280lbs at OLB but also floats inside at times. Long likely has the frame to add some bulk but going from 4-3 DE to a fulltime 3-4 DE at the age of 30 is not necessarily successful. If we didn't already have a Dline jack-of-all-trades type in McPhee I'd be more open to signing him. OTOH it would also depend on what type of money he's asking for. I think he'll be getting well north of $5mil/yr and that's too rich for me on a guy who will change positions to something he's never done. Or has he already played a lot at DT?

Per NFL.com Long is 6' 3" and 268lbs. McPhee is 280lbs at OLB but also floats inside at times. Long likely has the frame to add some bulk but going from 4-3 DE to a fulltime 3-4 DE at the age of 30 is not necessarily successful. If we didn't already have a Dline jack-of-all-trades type in McPhee I'd be more open to signing him. OTOH it would also depend on what type of money he's asking for. I think he'll be getting well north of $5mil/yr and that's too rich for me on a guy who will change positions to something he's never done. Or has he already played a lot at DT?

I am not on board with bringing Long in. We have 3 vets at OLB, time to bring in the future. He is too small to be a down DL in a 3-4 also.

Cook, I think he is talented. Put him on a NE/GB offense and I think he can put up numbers. With him now in the TE FA pool, the TE price should go down just a little.

Laurinitis, he is another guy with talent. If we miss out on Trevathan, then schedule him in as #2 or 3 guy to call.

I am not on board with bringing Long in. We have 3 vets at OLB, time to bring in the future. He is too small to be a down DL in a 3-4 also.

McPhee is 27 and Houston is 28, so it is not like those are really old players. Also, you need a good mix of vets, rookies, and mid-level players. Right now we actually have a weird roster composition that just needs more impact players in general. Our top 10 player salaries is quite sad.

Our top 10 are:

1. Cutler

2. McPhee

3. Houston

4. Bennett

5. Royal

6. Gould

7. White

8. Slauson

9. Young

10. Rolle

I would have no issues with Chris Long and Laurinaitis in those numbers replacing some of the other underachievers.

My thought on Long is that he might come cheaper due to his lack of production and injury concerns. I was thinking more along the lines of a 2-3 year incentive laden deal with some team flexibility in the numbers. Laurinaitis made $4.2 last year which would be less than Royal and $100k more than Gould this year. Something around $4mil seems to be reasonable for a couple of years based on his production.

McPhee is 27 and Houston is 28, so it is not like those are really old players. Also, you need a good mix of vets, rookies, and mid-level players. Right now we actually have a weird roster composition that just needs more impact players in general.

I never said they were old, just veterans. I agree they need to mix rookies, especially at the OLB position. With McPhee and Houston signed long term, Young with this season left, they should bring in a later round rookie to groom. If they decide to find a 4th OLB in FA, then they would have too much $ tied up IMO.