Free Agency Plan

adam

If we are trying to improve, but not get older by signing guys north of 30, these are the names I came up with of players who are 28 or younger with 500 or more snaps last year who look to be solid signings:

DLINE

Damon Harrison, 27, Jets

Muhammad Wilkerson, 27, Jets

Malik Jackson, 26, Broncos

Ian Williams, 27, 49ers

Jaye Howard, 27, Chiefs

LB

Danny Trevathan, 26, Broncos

CB

Trumaine Johnson, 26, Rams

Janoris Jenkins, 27, Rams

Patrick Robinson, 28, Chargers

Prince Amukamara, 27, Giants

Safety

Rodney McLeod, 26, Rams

George Iloka, 26, Bengals

OLINE

Ryan Schraeder, 28, Falcons

Mitchell Schwartz, 27, Browns

Jeff Allen, 26, Chiefs

Cordy Glenn, 26, Bills

Kelechi Osemele, 27, Ravens

Joe Barksdale, 28, Chargers

WR

Rishard Matthews, 26, Dolphins

Marvin Jones, 26, Bengals

TE

Ladarius Green, 26, Chargers

I would be happy with a few of those names, especially on the OLINE and defense.

A lot of intriguing names out there. Gonna be a fun off-season. Would LOVE to see a double up in free agency and early in the draft at both ILB and DL.

Malik Jackson or Jaye Howard are probably the more likely ones as far as DL goes. Trevathon is a must to me. If they can double that up with say Myles Jack and Adolphus Washington I would be one happy panda.

A front 7 with Jackson-Goldman-Washington and McPhee-Jack-Trevathon-Houston should be incredible.

What they do at corner will be fairly interesting. Porter was pretty good last year but he's "old" and injury prone. I think they keep him around, but if they don't CB becomes a pressing need.

Of the list I like Trevathan (same reason as everyone else) and Amukamura (because he's Nebraska alum and a solid player and agree Porter will need health insurance behind him). As for the rest I'm always of the opinion of getting proven OL help through FA is better than drafting. So if this Osemele is as good as advertised and another one, perhaps OT, could be had at a reasonable price then I'm good with it.

I used to think that Wilkerson would be a need but with how much he'll probably demand, the emergence of Goldman and others don't think it's as necessary. Probably get another DLman for lesser cost or in draft. Like rounds 2, 3 or 4.

A lot of intriguing names out there. Gonna be a fun off-season. Would LOVE to see a double up in free agency and early in the draft at both ILB and DL.

Malik Jackson or Jaye Howard are probably the more likely ones as far as DL goes. Trevathon is a must to me. If they can double that up with say Myles Jack and Adolphus Washington I would be one happy panda.

A front 7 with Jackson-Goldman-Washington and McPhee-Jack-Trevathon-Houston should be incredible.

What they do at corner will be fairly interesting. Porter was pretty good last year but he's "old" and injury prone. I think they keep him around, but if they don't CB becomes a pressing need.

I hope your right but if we go by last year and what Pace says, there will be one big signing. So who between Jackson or Trevathan, do you pick? There will be a couple mid range ply r s, so who do you think that they are?

I hope your right but if we go by last year and what Pace says, there will be one big signing. So who between Jackson or Trevathan, do you pick? There will be a couple mid range ply r s, so who do you think that they are?

The thing is, last year they had 32 million dollars in cap space. Right now they 59m with the potential for more.

If they plan on spending that on a bunch of lesser dudes aand only sign one "High priced" guy, I would go with Trev. Draft has more depth at DL vs ILB.

The thing is, last year they had 32 million dollars in cap space. Right now they 59m with the potential for more.

If they plan on spending that on a bunch of lesser dudes aand only sign one "High priced" guy, I would go with Trev. Draft has more depth at DL vs ILB.

I would target Osemele and Trevathan first. Fills two biggest needs. Next target would be Jackson or Howard at DL. Re-sign Porter at CB also.

Pray the draft falls our way. Stanley, Jack, or Buckner in the first or a trade down and take Smith.

I agree to go with Trev.

I think with all the cap space they reup Jeffery, extent Long, resign Porter,Miller,and Jenkins.

I think mid level players we could sign are:

OG= Jeff Allen, Micheal Harris, Mackenzy Bernadeau

OT=Donald Stephenson,Joe Barksdale,Ryan Harris

OC= Will Montgomery (I think they resign him to give Grassu another year to grow)

QB=Matt Moore ( I think they may bring in a vet backup and he played under Fox in Car)

TE= Ladarius Green,Dwayne Allen (only if they let Bennett leave)

DE=Cedric Thornton,Jared Crick

ILB=James Laurinaitis,David Hawthorne,Zach Brown

CB=Sean Smith,Prince Amukamara,Patrick Robinson,Sterling Moore

S=David Bruton,Walter Thurmond,George Iloka

Assuming we sign Trevathan, these are the players I would like to see up bring in

Jeff Allen/OG

David Burton/S

Sean Smith/CB

Jarid Crick/DE

Depth-wise, I don't think you are right about DL > ILB. We are talking about 3-4 DEs, not DTs overall. There are a bunch of good ILBs, and three of them are absolute stud, first rounders.

If we are trying to improve, but not get older by signing guys north of 30, these are the names I came up with of players who are 28 or younger with 500 or more snaps last year who look to be solid signings:

DLINE

Damon Harrison, 27, Jets

Muhammad Wilkerson, 27, Jets

Malik Jackson, 26, Broncos

Ian Williams, 27, 49ers

Jaye Howard, 27, Chiefs

LB

Danny Trevathan, 26, Broncos

CB

Trumaine Johnson, 26, Rams

Janoris Jenkins, 27, Rams

Patrick Robinson, 28, Chargers

Prince Amukamara, 27, Giants

Safety

Rodney McLeod, 26, Rams

George Iloka, 26, Bengals

OLINE

Ryan Schraeder, 28, Falcons

Mitchell Schwartz, 27, Browns

Jeff Allen, 26, Chiefs

Cordy Glenn, 26, Bills

Kelechi Osemele, 27, Ravens

Joe Barksdale, 28, Chargers

WR

Rishard Matthews, 26, Dolphins

Marvin Jones, 26, Bengals

TE

Ladarius Green, 26, Chargers

I would be happy with a few of those names, especially on the OLINE and defense.

First, great job putting that list together Adam. I think this fits exactly what Pace wants to do with FA money on a rebuilding team. No need to throw big $ at a high priced vet hoping for one more elite season like we did with Jared Allen years ago.

On the Dline...I'm in the minority but the 4.5 sacks and excellent mobility we saw at times from young Mr. Goldman makes me think he'll be just fine, if not dominant, at DE in a 3-man front. I would love to have Wilkerson but he's going to break the bank and he's not going to be available. Nor do I think Pace wants that high dollar commitment in a FA. So looking at the realistic options in preferential order I like: Damon "Snacks" Harrison to anchor the nose, Jaye Howard to play DE (think he'll be a cheaper and just as productive as Jackson), Ian Williams NT, Malik Jackson. Jackson was the early favorite but when a player enters FA after winning the Superbowl that's a dream scenario like hitting the jackpot twice in one year, and I don't want to overpay for his services. I might be wrong on potential contracts but the $2mil/yr difference for Jackson over someone lesser known like Snacks, Jaye Howard, or Ian Williams gives us another good player. We need good players all over the field on defense. $6mil/yr

If we go biggie size on Dline in FA then we're going after a pass rusher at DE in the draft.

LB: One option here and one massive need so we overpay the man: Trevathan Find someone in the first two rounds to pair up with him. $8mil?

CB: This is where it gets tough. CBs command big money in FA but after some quick research I think we'll grab the lesser known but dependable mid-level player in Trumaine Johnson. I think Fangio values consistency over the splashy INT fails that lead to big plays (think Janoris Jenkins gamble on INT and miss). It's not that Fangio doesn't want INT's but he hates giving up TDs as seen by his 8 man drop back to the goal line calls in the red zone. Also evidence for this is that he doesn't like to, or prefer to blitz. Let's bring back Porter to compete as well. With Fuller in the mix we also add a solid mid-Rd player in the draft to develop. Then we'd have some competition to start on the outside. I liked Callahan at NB last year and I think he'll be our starter this year. $6-7mil?

S: I've been conservative with the money but I might risk it all on Eric Berry to lead the DBs on this defense. He isn't on the list so sticking to the theme here Iloka makes sense. $5mil/yr?

OG: Osemele. I've said enough on this subject. $6mil/yr?

WR: Draft a returner/slot guy

TE: Draft mid-Rd player.

I have no clue on contract values and I used Overthecap existing deal annual salaries by position for estimates, but feel free to educate me. I'm guessing these signings (excluding Berry of course) would take about $32mil/yr. That leaves money for Alshon and Long to get contract extensions. Push some of the guaranteed money on some deals into 2017 to spread it out. Pace may need around $8-10mil to fill out the bottom end of the roster with 1yr-deal players and cutting players like Rolle and Bennett (release him after or trade during the draft once we have his replacement) frees up a big chunk of that. Add in budget for the rookie pool and we're ready to draft.

Depth-wise, I don't think you are right about DL > ILB. We are talking about 3-4 DEs, not DTs overall. There are a bunch of good ILBs, and three of them are absolute stud, first rounders.

I'm not a fan of guys who look like strictly downhill LBs. I think the NFL is going away from those types as it becomes more and more of a passing league.

CB: This is where it gets tough. CBs command big money in FA but after some quick research I think we'll grab the lesser known but dependable mid-level player in Trumaine Johnson. I think Fangio values consistency over the splashy INT fails that lead to big plays (think Janoris Jenkins gamble on INT and miss). It's not that Fangio doesn't want INT's but he hates giving up TDs as seen by his 8 man drop back to the goal line calls in the red zone. Also evidence for this is that he doesn't like to, or prefer to blitz. Let's bring back Porter to compete as well. With Fuller in the mix we also add a solid mid-Rd player in the draft to develop. Then we'd have some competition to start on the outside. I liked Callahan at NB last year and I think he'll be our starter this year. $6-7mil?

WR: Draft a returner/slot guy

AZ, what about someone like Patrick Robinson at CB? He is a former Saint (Pace connection) and had a very solid year in SF this past season. I think he would come cheaper than the top tier guys, and would give be a consistent Corner for us.

In regards to WR/KR, what about Travis Benjamin from CLE? I know he has handled kick return duties before and seemed to have some big play potential in CLE. Something we have missed for quite some time.

AZ, what about someone like Patrick Robinson at CB? He is a former Saint (Pace connection) and had a very solid year in SF this past season. I think he would come cheaper than the top tier guys, and would give be a consistent Corner for us.

In regards to WR/KR, what about Travis Benjamin from CLE? I know he has handled kick return duties before and seemed to have some big play potential in CLE. Something we have missed for quite some time.

I think they think that White will be the over the top threat.

I think they think that White will be the over the top threat.

Right, and that is mainly all Benjamin is besides kr/pr. I think our WR group is ok if Jeffery, White, and Royal are healthy. The bad part is wr's don't stay healthy lately. How deep do you go stock piling? This draft, I'd prefer to skip WR and get a backup rb, oline, and lots of D.

I think either of those players fits what Pace will target in FA.

Right, and that is mainly all Benjamin is besides kr/pr. I think our WR group is ok if Jeffery, White, and Royal are healthy. The bad part is wr's don't stay healthy lately. How deep do you go stock piling? This draft, I'd prefer to skip WR and get a backup rb, oline, and lots of D.

Fixed it for you. :cheers

I know you do not like RB in the draft, but they will be finding another back to challenge Carey for #2 either through the draft or FA. Perry is only on this team if the keep 4 RB's.

Just ribbing you. I don't like RB in this draft; it's true. If I had my way it would honestly be nothing but OL and D.