Notre Dame heavy

jason

I know it's far-fetched, but suppose the Bears went Notre Dame heavy.

1. Ronnie Stanley, OT

2. Jaylon Smith, ILB

4. Sheldon Day, DT

5. KeiVarae Russell, CB

6. Romeo Okwara, DT

6. Elijah Shumate, SS

6. C.J. Prosise, RB

Pick who you want in the 3rd and 7th. What's your result? Would you be happy with the overall draft?

I know it's far-fetched, but suppose the Bears went Notre Dame heavy.

1. Ronnie Stanley, OT

2. Jaylon Smith, ILB

4. Sheldon Day, DT

5. KeiVarae Russell, CB

6. Romeo Okwara, DT

6. Elijah Shumate, SS

6. C.J. Prosise, RB

Pick who you want in the 3rd and 7th. What's your result? Would you be happy with the overall draft?

Other than the first two names, the rest not much to aspire to

That and Smith isn't making it to the 2nd.

Sheldon Day is the same size as Sheldon Rankins who you(Jason) said can't play in a 3-4 so there's also that.

Did I say he can't? Or did I say reports are that he's not suited for it?

David J. Chao, MD

‏@ProFootballDoc David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Jaylon Smith

#JaylonSmith

Good news: no more knee brace & walking.

Bad news: wearing an AFO, indicates nerve issue.

Too bad.

If true, there's no way I'm taking him on Day 1 or 2. His career is probably already over if he has nerve damage. Remember what happened to Marcus Lattimore.

If true, there's no way I'm taking him on Day 1 or 2. His career is probably already over if he has nerve damage. Remember what happened to Marcus Lattimore.

Ugh, it was reported weeks ago there was no nerve damage and that's why I was considering him in the 1st.

Trying to get info from the doc over on soxtalk to see if the AFO could just be part of the rehab.

If there is indeed nerve damage, I'm out. ACL/MCL seems like no sweat these days, but nerve damage is indeed a big deal.

Here is what I got out of the doc over on Soxtalk

Me-

Paging Ptact....

Jaylon Smith is already walking, but is wearing something called a AFO. A guy on Twitter who may or may not have 17+ years as an NFL phycisian says that would indicate nerve damage. Earlier reports said there was no nerve damage. What gives? Does the AFO 100% indicate nerve damage, or could it just be part of the rehab?

I was just starting to think the Bears should take a chance on him in the first, but this would knock me back out of that consideration.

Ptact-(the doc)

An AFO is an Ankle Foot Orthosis. Its a plastic brace that goes along the back of the calf and into the shoe to hold the foot up. This could be a significant problem. It is used when soneone doesn't have control of the anterior tibialis muscle which bring the foot up into dorsiflexion. It is used with people who have has strokes or a paralysis of the tibial nerve which winds around the head of the fibula.

This really has no place in rehab for the ACL. However, he also had some lateral knee damage. He could have injured the nerve at that point. The good news is that nerves can heal for about 18 months so he will regain at least some back. The bad news is teams won't know how it will heal before the draft.

I'm not sure why else he would be wearing an AFO, unless the lateral knee damage was repaired in some odd way that they needed to stabilize the lower extremity but thats grasping at straws.

Me-

That's a bummer. Just 2 days ago I was reading articles on him and was getting excited about the possibility of drafting him at 11(seeing as a lot of guys are calling him a top 3 prospect and comparing him to the likes of Patrick Willis and Derrick Johnson).

I guess it could be a good thing as he's probably gonna plummet in the draft.

Considering what we know now, would you consider him in the 2nd? 3rd?

Ptact-

If it was a significant nerve injury I would think it would be making the news rounds by now but who knows. I would think closer to the draft we will find out. Im sure teams will get medical reports before that.

scs,

I will leave it up to the team doctors, but even before this information was out, it was hard for me to see the Bears taking a chance on him in the first. The 11th pick is too high for an "what if" pick. Too many red flags since the injury to think he can come back and be the same player.

scs,

I will leave it up to the team doctors, but even before this information was out, it was hard for me to see the Bears taking a chance on him in the first. The 11th pick is too high for an "what if" pick. Too many red flags since the injury to think he can come back and be the same player.

Agreed. From a fan's standpoint, we lost our first rounder for the entire year because of an injury. I wouldn't be happy if we even took a chance on a guy who is just recovering from a massive knee injury (or more).

From a GM's standpoint, he's got to realize he only has a handful of years to prove himself. To build a winner. You don't use a first round pick on an injury concern the year following a guy who was out an entire year. You just can't risk that. Missing two years of first round draft picks is unfathomable, and he can't afford the risk. Not only because of team development, but also because of the financial impact. Taking advantage of rookie contracts is the way to go nowadays in the NFL, particularly if the guy you draft ends up being an all-pro who will break the bank with his second contract.

From a GM's standpoint, he's got to realize he only has a handful of years to prove himself. To build a winner. You don't use a first round pick on an injury concern the year following a guy who was out an entire year. You just can't risk that. Missing two years of first round draft picks is unfathomable, and he can't afford the risk. Not only because of team development, but also because of the financial impact. Taking advantage of rookie contracts is the way to go nowadays in the NFL, particularly if the guy you draft ends up being an all-pro who will break the bank with his second contract.

Exactly, with 3-5 year windows for GM's and coaches to produce, you can't afford to waste a year "waiting" for a guy. Teams with less needs and who have well established front offices and coaching staffs can get away with this, but we can't, at least not right now. To me, Smith is a luxury pick, and we have too many holes to fill to use #11 on a luxury pick.

Agreed. From a fan's standpoint, we lost our first rounder for the entire year because of an injury. I wouldn't be happy if we even took a chance on a guy who is just recovering from a massive knee injury (or more).

Great points. Although Im a huge Jaylon Smith fan I do not want to see the Bears picking him in the first round. The Bears MUST get a game changer in the 1st. Then if White pans out you have two impact players suiting up this year. Even in the 2nd I think Smith is too big a risk for the Bears, now if I was a different team with an overall better talented roster I would think about it.

I feel terrible for Jaylon Smith, to get injured in your last college game sucks. He is a guy that does everything right on and off the field, would have been an amazing addition to the Bears.