Ian Williams

Stinger226

I would prefer Damon Harrison, but Ian Williams looks like he could be a poor mans Harrison which isn't a bad thing.

I have zero problem with Goldman playing outside. He played some there in college and spent some time there last year as well.

I love the idea of getting big up front and dominating against the run while having fast athletic ILBs being them running around freely and playing the pass.

I'm ok with that as I proposed just that a week ago. I like Snacks better but Williams might come a bit cheaper and there is that Fangio connection.

While we're at it, I just watched some film of Chris Jones and I'd like to add his name to the mix for 2nd RD DTs. This kid is young but he's strong at the point of attack, often holding up against double teams. At times he'll just rag-doll the blocker and make the tackle, which you can see against LSU where he makes a couple plays like that stopping Fournette at the LOS. He's got some pass rush to him as well. I see him looking fatigued on some plays but then again, holding up against a lot of double teams can do that. Put him out there with a nose like Ian Williams and Goldman on the other side and we'll be tough to run on. I think with a bit of seasoning he'll help make that Dline very good.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/chris-jones-vs-lsu-2015/

I'm ok with that as I proposed just that a week ago. I like Snacks better but Williams might come a bit cheaper and there is that Fangio connection.

While we're at it, I just watched some film of Chris Jones and I'd like to add his name to the mix for 2nd RD DTs. This kid is young but he's strong at the point of attack, often holding up against double teams. At times he'll just rag-doll the blocker and make the tackle, which you can see against LSU where he makes a couple plays like that stopping Fournette at the LOS. He's got some pass rush to him as well. I see him looking fatigued on some plays but then again, holding up against a lot of double teams can do that. Put him out there with a nose like Ian Williams and Goldman on the other side and we'll be tough to run on. I think with a bit of seasoning he'll help make that Dline very good.

I have been throwing Chris Jones name for a while now. I was hoping we can get him in the 3rd or 4th, he is one of the few 5T defensive linemen that I think can do well.

I have seen a lot of drafts that have him going in the 2nd round.

Ranked 37 overall...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000063...-2016-nfl-draft

I think the upside with him is pretty good but we'd likely need to let the veterans handle more reps early in the season much like we tried to do with Goldman. Even when his technique is poor he's still so strong he can hold his ground.

Ranked 37 overall...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000063...-2016-nfl-draft

I think the upside with him is pretty good but we'd likely need to let the veterans handle more reps early in the season much like we tried to do with Goldman. Even when his technique is poor he's still so strong he can hold his ground.

He would be a tough choice with the 2nd rd pick, but may be the best fit. I like Adolphus Washington also there. I am not sure on Ian Williams and moving Goldmann outside as mentioned. Goldman played well at NT and should only get better.

He would be a tough choice with the 2nd rd pick, but may be the best fit. I like Adolphus Washington also there. I am not sure on Ian Williams and moving Goldmann outside as mentioned. Goldman played well at NT and should only get better.

I thought I should pull Ian Williams situational stats since I did this for Malik Jackson. Where Jackson faded significantly in the 4th quarter Williams improves.

Tot Tackles

1st Q: 14

2nd Q: 10

3rd Q: 20

4th Q: 21

He only has 1 sack so he isn't going to contribute there but he will be solid throughout the game right up to the end where he's needed most.

I thought I should pull Ian Williams situational stats since I did this for Malik Jackson. Where Jackson faded significantly in the 4th quarter Williams improves.

Tot Tackles

1st Q: 14

2nd Q: 10

3rd Q: 20

4th Q: 21

He only has 1 sack so he isn't going to contribute there but he will be solid throughout the game right up to the end where he's needed most.

The difference between the two is Jacksons stats go down when his team has the lead and Williams goes up when they are down. Could be what the philosophy in what their team asks for them. Jackson may be asked to hold and take doubles were Williams is free to attack.

Regardless, we need playmakers. Whether that is in Williams or whoever. I just hate to see them bring in a guy and have to move another that played it well (Goldman).

No way Jones is just big and slow

He's not fast, but he has a bit of a burst or quickness to his first step. I still think Chris Jones fits the scheme:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0227-story.html

"Finding linemen who fit the scheme is challenging, Pace said, because many college defenses prioritize shooting gaps and penetrating, an approach generally more suited to a 4-3 front."

"When we're looking at these 3-4 defensive linemen, we're looking at guys who can take on blocks with their hands," Pace said. "And they have length to separate and shed, and they're stout."

He's not fast, but he has a bit of a burst or quickness to his first step. I still think Chris Jones fits the scheme:

"Finding linemen who fit the scheme is challenging, Pace said, because many college defenses prioritize shooting gaps and penetrating, an approach generally more suited to a 4-3 front."

"When we're looking at these 3-4 defensive linemen, we're looking at guys who can take on blocks with their hands," Pace said. "And they have length to separate and shed, and they're stout."

Good find on that quote. I love hearing that, because it's the type of 3-4 DE I prefer. I want long armed edge-setters who can shed blocks to get lateral, but also have enough stoutness to sit down, occupy blockers, and let the LBs do damage. If they have a high motor it's an added benefit. Guys I like in that mold are basically going to look a little light or upright at times, but in general they fit the mold. DeForest Buckner, Anthony Zettel, Shawn Oakman, Bronson Kaufusi are four guys that come to mind.

Length is something I think really needs to be stressed this year as far as the DL goes.

Jones has that length at 6'5" with 34 and half inch arms.

Other players I like with those long 34"+ arms are Buckner, Brunson Kaufusi, Adolphus Washington, and Vernon Butler(who has 35"). Carl Nassib might put himself in the conversation for me if he shows me some strength in the bench press. Kaufusi is kinda in that same category where I'm not sure what kind of strength he's working with. I suppose you could also put Kevin Dodd and Emmanuel Agbah in there as well, but both of those guys would have to put on some weight to play the position.

Oakman, as expected, has great length but he scares me. I've never seen a football player with as tiny a legs as he has.

A'Shawn Robinson has good length, but I'm not sure he brings much as a pass rusher and I think we need at least 1 guy at the 5 who can get in there. If we get that type of player in FA, I wouldn't mind Robinson.

There are a few later round guys with length that I'm gonna have to look into. I think we address it early, and in FA, but they might want a little more depth as well.

Good find on that quote. I love hearing that, because it's the type of 3-4 DE I prefer. I want long armed edge-setters who can shed blocks to get lateral, but also have enough stoutness to sit down, occupy blockers, and let the LBs do damage. If they have a high motor it's an added benefit. Guys I like in that mold are basically going to look a little light or upright at times, but in general they fit the mold. DeForest Buckner, Anthony Zettel, Shawn Oakman, Bronson Kaufusi are four guys that come to mind.

Zettel was one of only 3 guys who had arms measured at less than 32".

Maybe you're thinking of Nassib?

Zettel was one of only 3 guys who had arms measured at less than 32".

Maybe you're thinking of Nassib?

No. Zettel is who I was thinking about. I didn't mean to say those guys I listed had all the attributes for my perfect 3-4DE, just that I like them in that role. He doesn't have the long arms I'd like, but he can do the rest of the things I like. I really like his ability to shed blocks and get lateral. He's also a super high motor guy, which makes up for the arm length and late engagement.

Length is something I think really needs to be stressed this year as far as the DL goes.

Jones has that length at 6'5" with 34 and half inch arms.

Other players I like with those long 34"+ arms are Buckner, Brunson Kaufusi, Adolphus Washington, and Vernon Butler(who has 35"). Carl Nassib might put himself in the conversation for me if he shows me some strength in the bench press. Kaufusi is kinda in that same category where I'm not sure what kind of strength he's working with. I suppose you could also put Kevin Dodd and Emmanuel Agbah in there as well, but both of those guys would have to put on some weight to play the position.

Oakman, as expected, has great length but he scares me. I've never seen a football player with as tiny a legs as he has.

A'Shawn Robinson has good length, but I'm not sure he brings much as a pass rusher and I think we need at least 1 guy at the 5 who can get in there. If we get that type of player in FA, I wouldn't mind Robinson.

There are a few later round guys with length that I'm gonna have to look into. I think we address it early, and in FA, but they might want a little more depth as well.

Buckner, Washington, Butler, and of course Jones I think would be immediate help on the Dline. Kaufusi doesn't appear to be strong enough to hold up inside and isn't quick enough on the outside. At least on the outside he's not offering anything we don't already have in our current crop of OLB. He's a good versatile player and has the size to add more bulk for 3-4 DE I just think that'll take a year or two see on field. But why is he so slow off the snap? He wants to stand up right away instead of moving forward with good body lean. A coach should be able to help with that but if not, in the NFL OG's will just move him backwards off the line.

I'm not big on A'Shawn Robinson in the first round but if he were there with our 2nd pick that'd be a good pick. I like his teammate better, Jaran Reed who hustles all over the field. If we get Robinson in the 2nd Rd, even if he's not providing much pass rush he's got the talent to eat up blocks and get some push up the middle. The tools are there for him to be more productive so maybe Fangio and Co. can help him reach his potential.

Oakman is a paper tiger. I want nothing to do with him. Carl Nassib gets pushed around too much for my liking. Dodd is a good football player, I like him, but, much like Kaufusi, with the Dline talent in this draft why grab someone that isn't a perfect fit for what we need (3-4 DE) when there are better options available in the first couple rounds?

Chris Jones ran a 5.03 forty, with a more-relevant-to-the-DT-job 10yd split of 1.70. Joey Bosa's 10yd split was 1.69. Last screen shot I can recall on NFL Network, Jones' 10yd split was ranked top 10 among all Dline although there 5 or so players tied for 10th. He has some burst off the line, enough that a good coach should be able to get a decent pass rush out of him especially with his strength. He does not offer a ton of lateral movement so he's not like Sheldon Rankins but if he's got a single blocker in front of him he'll be able to push the pocket.

A quick search of a few top 50 lists post combine have him anywhere from 25th to high 30's. I still like him for our 2nd Rd pick if we only sign one FA DT.