Nick Fairley

Alaskan Grizzly

So in my daily fact gathering of all that is Bears I found an intriguing story in Bleacher Report. In it they discuss a bargain FA acquisition for each team. For the Bears they chose Nick Fairley (currently of the Rams). Although he hasn't done much lately perhaps in Fangios scheme he'd do better? And why not spell Goldman from time to time? Fairleys probably still capable to do some 0 or 3 tech work right?

Here's an article on what he's been doing lately.

http://fansided.com/2016/02/25/2016-nfl-fr...s-nick-fairley/

Been thinking about Fairley as a decent 2nd option (i.e. sign 2 FAs) for the Dline. I'd like to see Pace explore this option in the 2nd wave of FA. Fairley's upside is better than Jenkins, or Unrein (I still like Unrein). His floor might be tougher to predict but I think he'd be more productive than Will Sutton.

I'd pass. My preference would be to sign or draft starter potential. He had his chance.

It would make sense to consider mostly due to his age (26), former 1st round pick, had the best "...PFF grade among DTs (in 2015) to play 500 snaps or less*...". And our team has enough concerns on defense that using a draft pick at DT after successfully finding Goldman last year may not be as necessary.

* http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/26183...ery-team/page/7

If the Bears were to get Fairley, what type of player does the other DE need to be? I see Fairley more of a run-stopper than a pass-rusher; so, I'm thinking a 5T in the draft that can create a little more pressure? Does Fairley compliment Goldman well? I can't say I really have watched Fairley much.

If the Bears were to get Fairley, what type of player does the other DE need to be? I see Fairley more of a run-stopper than a pass-rusher; so, I'm thinking a 5T in the draft that can create a little more pressure? Does Fairley compliment Goldman well? I can't say I really have watched Fairley much.

I think what drew me towards him is the 'value' title. Admittedly he's not been All-pro his whole career and in fact he seems to have had some injury history that I wasn't previously aware of.

After coming from a pretty dominant team at Auburn he was paired with Suh in Detroit for his first four years. His rookie year wasn't all that but he did uptick in his production in years 2&3 with 5 1/2 and 6 sacks each year. Year four he looked good until he messed up his knee. Then last year signed on with StL and with players like Donald and Brockers in the lineup he saw less play. And for some reason I read one source that showed he ended last season on IR but can't figure out why.

Anyhow I'm not sure if he'd be a better DE or rotational DT with Goldman but with the info I listed previously I'd have a hard time passing on at least taking a look at mehim. I think AZs idea above is a good one. Maybe bring on he and one other FA from the second tier to try out.

I'd pass. My preference would be to sign or draft starter potential. He had his chance.

But doesn't Fairly immediately become our best DE? I'm not saying he's that good and he's only a rotational player, but he's better than anybody we had last year.

To me that just emphasis how bad our team is. We could easily add Fairly and two other DE's.

But doesn't Fairly immediately become our best DE? I'm not saying he's that good and he's only a rotational player, but he's better than anybody we had last year.

To me that just emphasis how bad our team is. We could easily add Fairly and two other DE's.

In Fangio's defense it is technically 3 DTs. If you look at his schematic, it is LDT NT and RDT, which many FAs could actually fit into that role.

I was just thinking Fairley would compete to be part of the rotation. I couldn't guarantee him a starting job, nor starting money.