Mid Round QBs

jason

Watching the combine and two guys are impressing me today.

Christian Hackenberg and Vernon Adams have both shown great accuracy and good footwork. I really like Hackenberg's release point and quick delivery. And Hackenberg's arm strength is good without much effort. Adams looks like he has to load up a bit to get the long ball out - especially the post-corner, but he is putting it right where it needs to be every time. Loved Connor Cook's anticipation.

Jacoby Brissett looks slooooow and his delivery mechanics are slower. He has some things to work on. On the other hand, Treyvon Boykin looks very, very uncomfortable and rushed. His footwork is horrible. His delivery is almost circular on long balls. I would hate it if the Bears picked him in the later rounds. He's going to suck and be a bust; book it.

Anyone else have input?

Scratch Cardale Jones off the list. Pulled up lame in the 40. I'd say that smells of lack of preparation or something similar. He was a risk anyway.

Hackenberg caught a lot of crap lately. He decided to stay at PSU after all that went down and the school but should've moved on. The school chose a coach and offense that didn't work well for him. They also lost scholarships to bring in better talent. He was a #1 college recruit so he has the tools.

Christian Hackenberg and Vernon Adams have both shown great accuracy and good footwork. I really like Hackenberg's release point and quick delivery. And Hackenberg's arm strength is good without much effort. Adams looks like he has to load up a bit to get the long ball out - especially the post-corner, but he is putting it right where it needs to be every time. Loved Connor Cook's anticipation.

Jacoby Brissett looks slooooow and his delivery mechanics are slower. He has some things to work on. On the other hand, Treyvon Boykin looks very, very uncomfortable and rushed. His footwork is horrible. His delivery is almost circular on long balls. I would hate it if the Bears picked him in the later rounds. He's going to suck and be a bust; book it.

Anyone else have input?

I was able to watch some of the early group of QBs. I agree with your observations on Hackenberg and Adams. Combine stuff for QBs is a small piece of the puzzle so I don't put much stock into. As a late round QB Adams intrigues me. He'd be ranked much higher if he were taller but other than that he can do it all. The only caveat for me about his size is that he's not particularly fast or evasive. You'd like to have that in a QB who might have to get out of the pocket to find a passing lane. I'm just not a fan of Connor Cook. Briskett is just slow at everything he did, running, throwing, walking.

Cardale Jones arm strength and accuracy are good but more and more it seems he can't handle the mental aspects of the QB position.

When we narrow it down to day 3 prospects there was one other QB who caught my eye and that was Jeff Driskel. He's fast, very good athlete overall. I thought he threw the ball well. Reading up on him shows he's had some struggles but it would be interesting to know if those were maturity based (i.e. not putting in the time/effort) or just limits on what he can read on the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...45/jeff-driskel

I was able to watch some of the early group of QBs. I agree with your observations on Hackenberg and Adams. Combine stuff for QBs is a small piece of the puzzle so I don't put much stock into. As a late round QB Adams intrigues me. He'd be ranked much higher if he were taller but other than that he can do it all. The only caveat for me about his size is that he's not particularly fast or evasive. You'd like to have that in a QB who might have to get out of the pocket to find a passing lane. I'm just not a fan of Connor Cook. Briskett is just slow at everything he did, running, throwing, walking.

Cardale Jones arm strength and accuracy are good but more and more it seems he can't handle the mental aspects of the QB position.

When we narrow it down to day 3 prospects there was one other QB who caught my eye and that was Jeff Driskel. He's fast, very good athlete overall. I thought he threw the ball well. Reading up on him shows he's had some struggles but it would be interesting to know if those were maturity based (i.e. not putting in the time/effort) or just limits on what he can read on the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...45/jeff-driskel

Someone I pulled out of this was BRANDON DOUGHTY, in college his completion pct. was 68.6 and finished with 111 TDs in startering for 3 years. The most important trait I got away from an interview was he loves football and hates to lose. for a 5th or 6th round pick, he could be a sleeper.

Someone I pulled out of this was BRANDON DOUGHTY, in college his completion pct. was 68.6 and finished with 111 TDs in startering for 3 years. The most important trait I got away from an interview was he loves football and hates to lose. for a 5th or 6th round pick, he could be a sleeper.

Some good words on Doughty...

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/27/NFL-combi...ghty-Jared-Goff

Anyone else have input?

Hackenberg with great accuracy? Was I watching the same drills? He was way off and looked like one of the worst QBs in most of the throwing drills. Even on short passes he was throwing high on most of them.

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/703621139294085120

Hackenberg with great accuracy? Was I watching the same drills? He was way off and looked like one of the worst QBs in most of the throwing drills. Even on short passes he was throwing high on most of them.

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/703621139294085120

That's funny. I didn't see that throw. On most of the hitch, slant, curl, etc., he was drilling his receivers in the gut. Very catchable ball over and over.

That's funny. I didn't see that throw. On most of the hitch, slant, curl, etc., he was drilling his receivers in the gut. Very catchable ball over and over.

Here are some Twitter reactions: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/..._hacken_23.html

I apparently saw the drills where he was off and you saw the ones where he was on.

I didn't watch the combine, but the guys recapping the day all said they expected Hackenberg to impress and move up the boards, but instead it was just more of the same from him and that his release, etc, were poor. Guy everyone raved about was Wentz (like utterly raved about). Compared Paxton Lynch to Flacco.

People did say very nice thing about Devonte Adams. The Kirk Cousins comp that was handed out (guy that can sit on the bench and become that guy) was Kevin Hogan.

Note: These were obesrvations from Daniel Jeremiah and Rece Davis.