Pick 8 free agents we bring in and you get 1 in the 8-9 mil range

5 in the 4-6 mil range

2in the 1 to 2 mil range

Guys be realistic, we will not get Jackson, Trevathan and

Kelechi Osemele.

We will get one of those choices.

my list Trevathan for 8 mil

Jeff Allen/OG for 5 to-6 mil

Jaye Howard/DT for 6 mil ( he has reported that he wants 8 mil, but I dont think he gets it

Prince Amukamara/CB for 5 to 6 mil

Dewayne Allen/TE for 5 mil ( I think we trade Bennett on draft day and get a 5th round pick)

Jarid Crick/DE for 3 to 4 mil

David Burton/FS for 2 mil( ties to Fox land him here)

Blair Powell/RB for 2 mil (competes for the #2 job)

Our own free agents we bring back Jenkins/DE-Porter/CB and Miller at TE

Looks like we get a $35-37mil budget.

Here's my guess at what the team will do:

ILB Trevathan $8mil too many questions around ILB and the club says they like SMC but, as far as I know, they haven't offered a contract. Money talks and the Bears aren't talking to Shea. I don't think they want to enter the draft with two question marks at ILB. I think they want SMC back but at a price below starter money, well below starter money because they want him to be the 3rd option to compete as a starter with a rookie.

CB: I was going to say we'll sign Trumaine Johnson or Sean Smith but the money thrown at FA CBs is ridiculous.

http://overthecap.com/2016-nfl-free-agency...backs-overview/

CB: Patrick Robinson $3mil/yr Depth signing, good all-around veteran CB, re-sign Porter to a similar deal that allows us to get out after 1 or 2 years.

RG Osemele $6mil Fix RG, team keeps Long at RT

DT Ian Williams $4mil

S George Iloka $3mil

S/ST David Bruton $2mil (replaces Prosinski)

TE: Dwayne Allen $3mil Not sure he's done enough to warrant a $5mil deal. He hasn't done enough to earn $3mil either. If we trade Martellus I think we can get more than a 5th Rd pick given the weak TE draft class. Teams have cap space, his deal is affordable, and he's still young enough to play well for a few years. Maybe a 4th or 5th plus later pick. If anyone throws a 3rd Rd pick at us.

Total $29mil. I'm cheap so I'm probably off on the contracts by about 10%. Let's call it $32mil. Plus I'd cut Antrele Rolle if we sign both those safeties because we still have HJQ and I like his potential. That adds $2.7mil to the $23mil remaining so we'd have $26mil left.

Team can re-sign Jeffrey, Zach Miller, Porter, and maybe do an extension on Kyle Long's contract (with some bonus pushed into 2017). If we trade Bennett it frees up around $5mil. Use the change leftover to sign better depth players along the Oline, Dline, or CBs as some veterans usually end up lowering their price quite a bit by the 3rd week of FA. Last year we were bargain basement shoppers (see Ducasse), this year we can work the 2nd/3rd waves of FA a bit more aggressively. Plus we need to reserve $7.3mil for the rookie pool.

Looks like we get a $35-37mil budget.

Here's my guess at what the team will do:

ILB Trevathan $8mil too many questions around ILB and the club says they like SMC but, as far as I know, they haven't offered a contract. Money talks and the Bears aren't talking to Shea. I don't think they want to enter the draft with two question marks at ILB. I think they want SMC back but at a price below starter money, well below starter money because they want him to be the 3rd option to compete as a starter with a rookie.

CB: I was going to say we'll sign Trumaine Johnson or Sean Smith but the money thrown at FA CBs is ridiculous.

http://overthecap.com/2016-nfl-free-agency...backs-overview/

CB: Patrick Robinson $3mil/yr Depth signing, good all-around veteran CB, re-sign Porter to a similar deal that allows us to get out after 1 or 2 years.

RG Osemele $6mil Fix RG, team keeps Long at RT

DT Ian Williams $4mil

S George Iloka $3mil

S/ST David Bruton $2mil (replaces Prosinski)

TE: Dwayne Allen $3mil Not sure he's done enough to warrant a $5mil deal. He hasn't done enough to earn $3mil either. If we trade Martellus I think we can get more than a 5th Rd pick given the weak TE draft class. Teams have cap space, his deal is affordable, and he's still young enough to play well for a few years. Maybe a 4th or 5th plus later pick. If anyone throws a 3rd Rd pick at us.

Total $29mil. I'm cheap so I'm probably off on the contracts by about 10%. Let's call it $32mil. Plus I'd cut Antrele Rolle if we sign both those safeties because we still have HJQ and I like his potential. That adds $2.7mil to the $23mil remaining so we'd have $26mil left.

Team can re-sign Jeffrey, Zach Miller, Porter, and maybe do an extension on Kyle Long's contract (with some bonus pushed into 2017). If we trade Bennett it frees up around $5mil. Use the change leftover to sign better depth players along the Oline, Dline, or CBs as some veterans usually end up lowering their price quite a bit by the 3rd week of FA. Last year we were bargain basement shoppers (see Ducasse), this year we can work the 2nd/3rd waves of FA a bit more aggressively. Plus we need to reserve $7.3mil for the rookie pool.

Wow did a good job of putting that together.

"ILB Trevathan $8mil too many questions around ILB and the club says they like SMC but, as far as I know, they haven't offered a contract. Money talks and the Bears aren't talking to Shea. I don't think they want to enter the draft with two question marks at ILB. I think they want SMC back but at a price below starter money, well below starter money because they want him to be the 3rd option to compete as a starter with a rookie. "

Now that AJ has the tag applied, they will put him off and start on the next tier of players they want to retain. Just because we do not hear about contract talk doesn't mean they are not interested. I don't think it will take long to get a few done now. Shea may have had an offer from the Bears and wants to see what the market offers when it opens. I have heard the Jets were interested, we will see.

I'm not a salary cap guy, but here would be my approach:

$$$

Eric Berry - SS

Eric Berry provides the back-side thumper with range. He'd be a huge addition. Great leader, character guy.

$$

Prince Amukamara - CB

Chris Long - DE

Andre Smith - OT

James Laurinaitis - ILB

Richie Incognito - OG

Amukamara is a good cover guy, and solid person all around.

Long might be long in the tooth, but he's good enough to easily be in the rotation.

Andre Smith is better than Leno. Period.

Laurinaitis is still a good ILB.

All four guys are solid, high-character, team-leader types, which is important just in case...

Incognito is a monster at OG. Nasty. I don't care about his history. He'd help this team create a personality.

$

David Burton - FS

Aldon Smith - DE

Burton is a transition for Fox, so he will work well in dime situations and ST.

Aldon Smith is my shot in the dark. He's an elite pass-rusher who has issues. If he overcomes those issues, this is a huge pick up at a small price-tag.

In my opinion, this would essentially allow the Bears to go BPA the entire draft. There is still need at ILB, 34DE, and OL, but the needs are not pressing.

"ILB Trevathan $8mil too many questions around ILB and the club says they like SMC but, as far as I know, they haven't offered a contract. Money talks and the Bears aren't talking to Shea. I don't think they want to enter the draft with two question marks at ILB. I think they want SMC back but at a price below starter money, well below starter money because they want him to be the 3rd option to compete as a starter with a rookie. "

Now that AJ has the tag applied, they will put him off and start on the next tier of players they want to retain. Just because we do not hear about contract talk doesn't mean they are not interested. I don't think it will take long to get a few done now. Shea may have had an offer from the Bears and wants to see what the market offers when it opens. I have heard the Jets were interested, we will see.

Agreed, the Bears are quiet negotiators. I don't think they'll put off the Jeffrey negotiations. I think Pace would rather close on that deal so his cap hit is fixed, and lower than the franchise tag, so he can go forward into FA with the rest of his plan.

Agreed, the Bears are quiet negotiators. I don't think they'll put off the Jeffrey negotiations. I think Pace would rather close on that deal so his cap hit is fixed, and lower than the franchise tag, so he can go forward into FA with the rest of his plan.

I almost wish a team would sign Alshon. My optimism for him took a hit. It would be nice to have the extra picks to rebuild the infrastructure.

I almost wish a team would sign Alshon. My optimism for him took a hit. It would be nice to have the extra picks to rebuild the infrastructure.

I would definitely feel a whole lot better about gong this route if we knew what we have with White. If White is a number 1 it makes going that route a whole lot easier.

I'm not a salary cap guy, but here would be my approach:

$$$

Eric Berry - SS

Eric Berry provides the back-side thumper with range. He'd be a huge addition. Great leader, character guy.

$$

Prince Amukamara - CB

Chris Long - DE

Andre Smith - OT

James Laurinaitis - ILB

Richie Incognito - OG

Amukamara is a good cover guy, and solid person all around.

Long might be long in the tooth, but he's good enough to easily be in the rotation.

Andre Smith is better than Leno. Period.

Laurinaitis is still a good ILB.

All four guys are solid, high-character, team-leader types, which is important just in case...

Incognito is a monster at OG. Nasty. I don't care about his history. He'd help this team create a personality.

$

David Burton - FS

Aldon Smith - DE

Burton is a transition for Fox, so he will work well in dime situations and ST.

Aldon Smith is my shot in the dark. He's an elite pass-rusher who has issues. If he overcomes those issues, this is a huge pick up at a small price-tag.

In my opinion, this would essentially allow the Bears to go BPA the entire draft. There is still need at ILB, 34DE, and OL, but the needs are not pressing.

Aldon Smith is an interesting name. He is currently suspended until november, so he wont be around for most of the season, but going forward could be interesting.

As for Shea, he is a fringe NFL starter who's not good on special teams. Guys like that typically earn a one year deal at the minimum. I'm guessing we offered him that and he's hoping for better. He's the type of guy who signs in April.

Aldon Smith is an interesting name. He is currently suspended until november, so he wont be around for most of the season, but going forward could be interesting.

Are you guys nuts? First we discuss drafting a player (Smith - ND) who may not play this year if ever... Now we discuss bringing a player, with a sordid past mind you, on that can't even contribute until November at the earliest. Hello ... Anyone remember the Ray McDonald fiasco from last season? Something tells me Fangio AND McCaskey are going to be a little gun shy after that. Talented or no, ain't worth it.

And still no on Icognito. Team is way to young and vulnerable to have an ass clown like that in the locker room.

Are you guys nuts? First we discuss drafting a player (Smith - ND) who may not play this year if ever... Now we discuss bringing a player, with a sordid past mind you, on that can't even contribute until November at the earliest. Hello ... Anyone remember the Ray McDonald fiasco from last season? Something tells me Fangio AND McCaskey are going to be a little gun shy after that. Talented or no, ain't worth it.

And still no on Icognito. Team is way to young and vulnerable to have an ass clown like that in the locker room.

Jaylon Smith would be multi-year investment and would miss most of, if not all of, the first year of the contract. I'm not in favor of that in the 1st.

Aldon Smith, however, would be on a 1-2 year contract with very low figures, low risk, high reward potential, and even more stipulations in case he screws up. It's minimal investment for a potentially huge return.

As for Incognito, he's a jerk. He's a throwback to when bullying and rough-housing in the locker room were the norm. I believe he would have fit in with the personality of the 85 Bears, to be quite honest.

Jaylon Smith would be multi-year investment and would miss most of, if not all of, the first year of the contract. I'm not in favor of that.

Aldon Smith, however, would be on a 1-2 year contract with very low figures, low risk, high reward potential, and even more stipulations in case he screws up. It's minimal investment for a potentially huge return.

As for Incognito, he's a jerk. He's a throwback to when bullying and rough-housing in the locker room were the norm. I believe he would have fit in with the personality of the 85 Bears, to be quite honest.

Incognito resigned with Buffalo, so that doesnt matter

The Bears will still have plenty of cap and I would rather use it this year myself to pay down AJ in the long haul. They have until July to finish his deal, up to March 9th on others. I dont think they have many other players available to negotiate with other than Shea though. They cannot talk to/extend their one year contracts (Miller, Unrein, Jenkins, Porter), until they have the chance to hit free agency.

The Bears will still have plenty of cap and I would rather use it this year myself to pay down AJ in the long haul. They have until July to finish his deal, up to March 9th on others. I dont think they have many other players available to negotiate with other than Shea though. They cannot talk to/extend their one year contracts (Miller, Unrein, Jenkins, Porter), until they have the chance to hit free agency.

Agreed. Last year Dez Bryant and Demarius Thomas were both WR's who were franchised and signed on the final day of the extension deadline. I'm assuming AJ will do something similar. There are plenty of reasons for both sides to want to get a deal done.

I'm not so good at contract estimation, but this seems doable to me:

Resign Jacquizz Rodgers, Zach Miller, and Will Montgomery

Sign:

- Reggie Nelson, S - Hopefully a contract similar to Rolle's last year. Need a leader in the secondary and I like the pairing of him with Amos.

- Prince Amukamara, CB - I'd rather spend a couple more million per year for him than Porter.

- Rolando McClain, LB - I wanted one where we don't get Travathan, and if we don't, this seems like a reasonable way to upgrade without breaking the bank.

- Alex Boone, G - Kyle Long likes him and that's good enough for me.

- Cedric Thornton, DT - Good run stuffer who can play anywhere on the line.

- Mike Neal, LB - Swiss army knife from a division rival.

Sign:

- Reggie Nelson, S - Hopefully a contract similar to Rolle's last year. Need a leader in the secondary and I like the pairing of him with Amos.

- Prince Amukamara, CB - I'd rather spend a couple more million per year for him than Porter.

- Rolando McClain, LB - I wanted one where we don't get Travathan, and if we don't, this seems like a reasonable way to upgrade without breaking the bank.

That is realistic view of our potential free agency

Sign:

I like the Rolando McClain idea. He's a low-floor, high-ceiling guy. If he regresses to a knucklehead, cut him. But he has great talent and could be a stabilizing force in the middle.

I know your post said sign eight. What if we signed 4 big names and filled in the rest with one year deals? I'm looking at 4 guys who are in the 27 year old range that can be productive starters for 5 years.

1. Malik Jackson: I know you all disagree, but shouldn't we be begging the Bears to sign Malik Jackson? We need difference makers that other teams need to scheme for. As Brad Biggs said in today's column:

"He's a big pass rusher and those are hard to find. He has scheme versatility and was a wrecking ball in the postseason, which is why he'll get a huge payday." I'd be okay with giving him a huge payday.

2. Janoris Jenkins: He's a shut-down corner. Will be pricey, but we have 50 million to play with. One of him makes every position in the secondary look one helluva a lot better.

3. Coby Fleener: I love the idea of signing Fleener if we dump the black unicorn. There are few TE's in the draft and I loved how we utilized the dual TE sets last year . . . which also means we need to sign Zach Miller.

4. Offensive Guard: Sign a reasonable priced offensive guard. I don't know many because they are offensive guards.

Basically if we sign 4 starters who are significant upgrades, with the draft, then we add players on one year deals at the minimum.

I conceded this is pie in the sky thinking. But I want us to target difference makers who can start for 5 years and help make the players around them better.

Pick 8 free agents we bring in and you get 1 in the 8-9 mil range

5 in the 4-6 mil range

2in the 1 to 2 mil range

Guys be realistic, we will not get Jackson, Trevathan and

Kelechi Osemele.

We will get one of those choices.

my list Trevathan for 8 mil

Jeff Allen/OG for 5 to-6 mil

Jaye Howard/DT for 6 mil ( he has reported that he wants 8 mil, but I dont think he gets it

Prince Amukamara/CB for 5 to 6 mil

Dewayne Allen/TE for 5 mil ( I think we trade Bennett on draft day and get a 5th round pick)

Jarid Crick/DE for 3 to 4 mil

David Burton/FS for 2 mil( ties to Fox land him here)

Blair Powell/RB for 2 mil (competes for the #2 job)

Our own free agents we bring back Jenkins/DE-Porter/CB and Miller at TE

I know your post said sign eight. What if we signed 4 big names and filled in the rest with one year deals? I'm looking at 4 guys who are in the 27 year old range that can be productive starters for 5 years.

1. Malik Jackson: I know you all disagree, but shouldn't we be begging the Bears to sign Malik Jackson? We need difference makers that other teams need to scheme for. As Brad Biggs said in today's column:

"He's a big pass rusher and those are hard to find. He has scheme versatility and was a wrecking ball in the postseason, which is why he'll get a huge payday." I'd be okay with giving him a huge payday.

2. Janoris Jenkins: He's a shut-down corner. Will be pricey, but we have 50 million to play with. One of him makes every position in the secondary look one helluva a lot better.

3. Coby Fleener: I love the idea of signing Fleener if we dump the black unicorn. There are few TE's in the draft and I loved how we utilized the dual TE sets last year . . . which also means we need to sign Zach Miller.

4. Offensive Guard: Sign a reasonable priced offensive guard. I don't know many because they are offensive guards.

Basically if we sign 4 starters who are significant upgrades, with the draft, then we add players on one year deals at the minimum.

I conceded this is pie in the sky thinking. But I want us to target difference makers who can start for 5 years and help make the players around them better.

I think Fleener( I like Dewayne Allen better) would be a mid priced FA.

There are several OLs that will fall in the mid priced FA slots.

I think Jackson will draw 10 mil, or maybe a little higher, and the Bears wont be paying that .

If we go by what Pace states and with what he did last year, He will have one top tier player so no way we grab Jenkins and Jackson. I think Jackson will be over paid because of the SB performance, but look at his stats, he is not a 10 to 12 a year player. A very good player but I dont see that happening.

I think we target one upper tier player and then grab a bunch of mid level players.

I think they would rather pay Trevathan 8 mil a year than Jackson 10-12 , that would leave the money for another upgrade somewhere else.

The strength of the draft is in the defensive line, so if anything we grab two guys for the front seven in the draft.

I think we could sign Trevathan and then grab another ILB at a mid level price, like James Laurinaitis, or a Rolando McCain.

I think the only way they add a TE is if Bennett is chased. I prefer Allen to Fleener, but there is also Ladarius Green as a possibility.

As far as the money goes you give AJ 15 mil, save some money to get a deal done with Long later this year that wackes a big chunk off.

Add an 8mil player and between the 3 you knocked off 30 mil from that large cap space.

I am like everybody else on here and want all the big names but that just isnt going to happen.

So one large and many mid level FAs.

I'd be good with either of those guys. I think the Black Unicorn is gone which makes us desperate at the position. I don't think Indy utilized the TE as much as they could have.

Matt Slauson was a great signing that came out of nowhere.

I think Jackson will draw 10 mil, or maybe a little higher, and the Bears wont be paying that .

If we go by what Pace states and with what he did last year, He will have one top tier player so no way we grab Jenkins and Jackson. I think Jackson will be over paid because of the SB performance, but look at his stats, he is not a 10 to 12 a year player. A very good player but I dont see that happening.

Last year I'm thinking Pace had about 28 million in cap space. (I Googled it but couldn't find the number). This year it's at least 45 which includes paying Jeffrey and doesn't include the savings if we trade Martellus. He wants playmakers, so I can see him paying two potential studs. If we view Jackson as a playmaker who requires double teams, we will pay it.

I think they would rather pay Trevathan 8 mil a year than Jackson 10-12 , that would leave the money for another upgrade somewhere else.

While I'm not sure about Jackson, Trevathan is just a good player in a good scheme and not a difference maker IMO. Same could be said for Jackson.

The strength of the draft is in the defensive line, so if anything we grab two guys for the front seven in the draft.

We could grab two guys in the front seven AND still sign Jackson.

I think we could sign Trevathan and then grab another ILB at a mid level price, like James Laurinaitis, or a Rolando McCain.

I'm "meh" on all 3 of those guys.

I think the only way they add a TE is if Bennett is chased. I prefer Allen to Fleener, but there is also Ladarius Green as a possibility.

I think Bennett is gone. Ladarius Green couldn't beat out a 50 year old Gates.

As far as the money goes you give AJ 15 mil, save some money to get a deal done with Long later this year that wackes a big chunk off.

I'm somewhat confused about the Long deal. He signed a 4 year deal but there's a 5th year option? If it's a Bear option we're taking it.

I am like everybody else on here and want all the big names but that just isnt going to happen.

Can't wait for next Wednesday! I told my wife that I will be spending the evening in front of the computer.

I'd be good with either of those guys. I think the Black Unicorn is gone which makes us desperate at the position. I don't think Indy utilized the TE as much as they could have.

Matt Slauson was a great signing that came out of nowhere.

Last year I'm thinking Pace had about 28 million in cap space. (I Googled it but couldn't find the number). This year it's at least 45 which includes paying Jeffrey and doesn't include the savings if we trade Martellus. He wants playmakers, so I can see him paying two potential studs. If we view Jackson as a playmaker who requires double teams, we will pay it.

While I'm not sure about Jackson, Trevathan is just a good player in a good scheme and not a difference maker IMO. Same could be said for Jackson.

We could grab two guys in the front seven AND still sign Jackson.

I'm "meh" on all 3 of those guys.

I think Bennett is gone. Ladarius Green couldn't beat out a 50 year old Gates.

I'm somewhat confused about the Long deal. He signed a 4 year deal but there's a 5th year option? If it's a Bear option we're taking it.

Can't wait for next Wednesday! I told my wife that I will be spending the evening in front of the computer.

I agree with your thinking for the most part.

We hear it all the time about finding playmakers and on the surface it makes sense to hear that. Of course Pace wants guys that can play and fit the scheme but I really think Pace's goal in FA is finding depth on the roster. It's a different perspective and puts the team on the hook for less money per player and gives him more darts to throw at the board. Then when he misses big on a guy like Alan Ball ($3mil last year for nothing) it doesn't hurt so much because Tracy Porter was there to pick up the slack. How well did that work? Nobody talks about Alan Ball, not now and not much last year.

When Antrel Rolle went down we put in some rookies. They did ok but most importantly, now nobody is worried about cutting Rolle because there is nothing but cap savings off what looked at the time to be a way overpaid contract. Pace guaranteed the $3mil all up front because he wanted the flexibility to get out of the deal this year.

In FA you will always overpay in the first wave, and somewhat in the 2nd wave. In the 3rd wave you can find value but, like showing up late to the Black Friday sales, you get what's left on the shelf. Just accept the overpayment portion of the first wave if that's what you must do to fill a critical need. Last year I think Pace identified finding a true 3-4 OLB to fit Fangio's scheme as the most critical need for the defense coming out of that transition from a 4-3. That worked out well.

This year, I think across the entire team our most critical need is ILB. We have 2 openings for starters, and anyone currently on the roster is nothing more than a backup, if that. We can't really sit back and see what's left over so over-pay we must, and that likely means we go hard after Trevathan. I think he's an average good player but I can't deny the desperate need at the position. Behind Trevathan we don't really have a lot of 2nd wave FAs? Unfortunately I think the need makes this like the QB position where a team has to pay a Sam Bradford more than he's worth because if they don't have him you won't win anything. So I think, despite our misgivings about it, Trevathan gets the big payday.

On Malik Jackson I'd take him for a decent 2nd wave type salary but when a DT is getting $10mil plus he better be capable of commanding and beating (at least sometimes) double teams. I don't see that from Jackson. There is less of a need at this spot than ILB and there's great depth here in the draft as well so we have options. I just don't see a reason to throw silly money at this position.

CB is more challenging because we have Fuller, who struggled at times last year, Porter, who has had durability issues in most of his career, and Callahan. Add in that it will be one of the highest paid FA positions for what is 2nd wave talent. It's hard for me to guess which way Pace will go here: Big contract for a guy like Jenkins or Sean Smith? Or stay the course, sign a mid-level CB or two (Porter being one), and build through the draft? I think he stays the course.

I think OG falls in the find depth category along with a good prospect via the draft. Same with Safety.