Jaylon Smith

jason

After the Jaylon Smith news came out, I've seen varying reports about how far he'll drop. This has made me think about whether or not he'd be worth a risk, and at which point. In another thread this was briefly discussed.

1. Do you think he'll fully recover from the injury and become an pro-bowl caliber player?

1a. YES - In which round would you be willing to draft him?

1b. NO - Would you be willing to draft him? In which round?

Very difficult question for the Bears, a team in the middle ground of the league. I think if the Bears were in the cellar or at the top it would be an easier question to answer. If at the bottom, sure, why not? He's a first round talent and it's a gamble. It's not like the SB is within the next few years anyway. If at the top, it's purely gravy, betting with house money.

The more and more I see of him in highlights, and the more I read about his play, I, like Agent Mulder, want to believe. I want to believe he'll make it back from injury and be his old self as early as the end of this season, and definitely by 2017. So in 2017 that's essentially picking up and extra first round pick.

Tough call.

After the Jaylon Smith news came out, I've seen varying reports about how far he'll drop. This has made me think about whether or not he'd be worth a risk, and at which point. In another thread this was briefly discussed.

1. Do you think he'll fully recover from the injury and become an pro-bowl caliber player?

Very difficult question for the Bears, a team in the middle ground of the league. I think if the Bears were in the cellar or at the top it would be an easier question to answer. If at the bottom, sure, why not? He's a first round talent and it's a gamble. It's not like the SB is within the next few years anyway. If at the top, it's purely gravy, betting with house money.

The more and more I see of him in highlights, and the more I read about his play, I, like Agent Mulder, want to believe. I want to believe he'll make it back from injury and be his old self as early as the end of this season, and definitely by 2017. So in 2017 that's essentially picking up and extra first round pick.

Tough call.

I think you can get a good starter with your second pick and dont think he will be there for our 3rd. So is he worth the risk? I think with White being injured last year, I think Pace doesnt take the risk of him not turning out a stud.

Tough call.

Given the need for defensive players on the Bears and good ones to boot, I could see them legitimately making a go if he's available in the 3rd or maybe even the 2nd. Like our previous conversation about others who have had some pretty dramatic knee injuries and bounce back I could see this maybe work out for him The major issue looming right now it appears is the nerve damage. That could really change everything for this kid.

Tough call.

1c. Too early to know. It was just 6 or 7 weeks after his surgery. What they find in the April checkup will determine the risk factor but nerves heal slowly so no matter what that won't entirely go away at that time. Teams will just be projecting that the nerve damage will all heal ok. I find too much value in the 1st and 2nd Rd along with our numerous needs to take the risk.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm impressed. I realize mobility is different from simple straight directional moves, especially a leg press, but a squat with that much weight requires plenty of stability in the knee. More importantly, since nerve damage affecting lower leg function is the top concern it requires his base/foot to be stable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000064...ter-knee-injury

...told NFL Media's Mike Mayock he is already leg pressing more than 600 pounds and squatting more than 400 in the weight room as his recovery continues. "It's just a matter of time. I'll be fine," Smith said.

His medical check-in in 2 weeks will be very well attended.

Related question: Let's say he seems to be recovering fully from his injury and the Bears are at #11. Wentz, Bosa, Buckner, Stanley, Tunsil, Ramsey, Jack, Elliott, Goff, and Lawson are off the board. No one wants to trade up for the Bears pick. Would you be mad if they took Jaylon Smith at #11?

Related question: Let's say he seems to be recovering fully from his injury and the Bears are at #11. Wentz, Bosa, Buckner, Stanley, Tunsil, Ramsey, Jack, Elliott, Goff, and Lawson are off the board. No one wants to trade up for the Bears pick. Would you be mad if they took Jaylon Smith at #11?

If his medical news is good, go for it.

Mad wouldn't be the right word, but I would be somewhat disappointed. We have Trev and Freeman on really team friendly deals for a couple years. I'd rather they grab Hargreaves, Apple, or Jackson. Hargreaves is obviously not a reach, and I honestly don't think Apple or Jackson would be a reach.........After Conklin looked a little more athletic than people thought, he might be worth the 11th pick as well.

I really like Smith, but I'd rather they spread their resources to another position.

Smith's injury is still very serious and despite the positive news he has a very long way to go before anyone can know if he'll be the same player. At #11...yes I'd be upset. If medicals are good perhaps 3rd Rd I'd be ok. 2nd Rd is where it gets dicey because there will still be good players available at many positions that can help us this season and down the road.

At 11?? Nope, no way, no how. You have already had medical EXPERTS say the nerve damage to his knee is pretty significant and that he'll be lucky to approach what he's accomplished in his collegiate career. If somehow someway he has a miraculous 100% recovery and doing this all before the draft later this month, then maybe you consider it. Right after we change our team mascots to Unicorns.

This would not be a BPA move in any stretch of the imagination. Smith can say all he wants on how well he's progressing but we already have experts in the field saying otherwise. If the team really needs to go ILB (and I'm not sure it's as much a need as it was a few weeks ago) they should consider Reggie Ragland, as he isn't in the above list mentioned. Ragland was, for some time, the consensus mock 1 pick for the Bears but since the additions of Trevathan and Freeman not so much.

Hell yes. After White gone for a year?! Hell yes.

JASON FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

ok maybe it's the three rum and cokes talking but well said!!

ROTFLMAO!!!te]

Whoa, lay the rum down. Smith will not be the pick at 11 or 42. 3rd rd is were they start thinking. We need sure things and as much as I love Smith in blue n orange I still haven't had enough for that. LoL.

If he's there in the 3rd, depending on who is available and whether they feel he can recover, I might be upset if they DON'T draft him. The draft is based on potential, and he's a potential top 10 pick in the 3rd round? Seems like a smart investment.

If he's there in the 3rd, depending on who is available and whether they feel he can recover, I might be upset if they DON'T draft him. The draft is based on potential, and he's a potential top 10 pick in the 3rd round? Seems like a smart investment.

I agree. Sounds like he is doing amazing things already with weights on the knee. He has desire to make it, so I do not doubt his heart. Someone that can afford more risk will probably take him in the 2nd. His medical exam will clear things up more. With our past gms, we could take him and it would be no different with getting nothings. I have higher hope with Pace.