Lovies back

Stinger226

For everybody that was glad to see Lovie leave, we now get him back as the new Illini football coach.

your thoughts

I do love me some Lovie! The biggest argument for not firing Bill Cubit was, who the hell do you replace him with? Who would come to Illinois? BAM! Lovie Smith. This program is in the toilet and it's going to take years to rebuild. Even if Lovie is a bad college coach, listening to the score, fans are actually excited for the first time since we went to the Rosebowl 10 years ago. That is a positive. Last time we hired a coach it was Tim Boeckman . . .

This bold move seems to confirm that Jaguars owner Shahid Khan is pumping money in to the program. Until recently, I never realized that he was not only a U of I grad, but he is a self earned billonaire who still lists Urbana as his current residency. Apparently he created a bumper design, where at one point, his company was making every bumper in the US.

On a personal note, I'm a huge U of I basketball supporter and a casual football fan. I went to one U of I football game in November and I swore I'd never return. Assuming we hire Lovie, I want to go back. With basketball, it'll be interesting to see what we do with John Groce. Prior to today I was praying we kept him. I watched the Bears pay Lovie Smith not to coach to pay someone far worse in Tressman. I watched the Bulls pay Thibideau not to coach to pay someone far worse, in Hoiberg. Illinois paid Ron Zook not to coach to pay someone far worse in Boekman. And Groce is not the coach Bruce Weber is.

I think he will do pretty good in the college ranks. Illinois has been down for awhile, so there is only one way to go from here, up.

Isn't there something in the NFL where if an NFL coach is fired, the team that fired the coach doesn't have to pay him if he's hired by another team? I feel like that had something to do with Lovie being happy to take a year off after the Bears fired him. I think Tampa Bay owes him something like 3 more years 20+ million and if he coached for another NFL team, he'd lose a portion of that. Yet if he goes to college, he collects 3-4 million from Illinois AND keep his NFL salary. Am I correct about this or am I imagining it? Also, it's already been stated that he plans to add his sons to the Illini staff.

For everybody that was glad to see Lovie leave, we now get him back as the new Illini football coach.

your thoughts

What you think I'm gonna say? Good for U of I! I may have to watch college football other than Nebraska from now on.

Now you think we can make a deal with them for Cutler? ?