Danny Trevathan Close to Deal with Bears

AZ54

We are well into the negotiating period for FA and I haven't found any rumors about Trevathan. I scanned all the usual suspects nfl.com, si.com, cbssports, and Walterfootball and there is nothing out there. That is odd for a player who figures to be the top ILB available in FA, especially considering the media circus surrounding the Superbowl winner's free agents.

I did find this: http://beargoggleson.com/2016/03/07/signs-...-chicago-bears/

The silence doesn't add up for such a high profile FA and the quick change of direction by other potential suitors indicates something was said behind the scenes. Tomorrow the media circus, distracted by Manning's retirement on Monday, will wake up and realize there has to be something going on. Certainly Trevathan's agent isn't going to sit by quietly while all the big money deals are negotiated in the first few days of FA.

Many teams like to be in the news about their pursuits but at least one, Chicago, doesn't. Agents usually want the rumors out there as well to show there is real interest in their clients. Have we already come to a deal with Trevathan? Did we make him an offer he can't refuse such that he isn't even interested in visiting other teams? He said he liked playing for John Fox so if the money is right it could make sense that he's content to call it a day and go play for Fox and Fangio without talking to any other teams.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are well into the negotiating period for FA and I haven't found any rumors about Trevathan. I scanned all the usual suspects nfl.com, si.com, cbssports, and Walterfootball and there is nothing out there. That is odd for a player who figures to be the top ILB available in FA, especially considering the media circus surrounding the Superbowl winner's free agents.

I did find this: http://beargoggleson.com/2016/03/07/signs-...-chicago-bears/

The silence doesn't add up for such a high profile FA and the quick change of direction by other potential suitors indicates something was said behind the scenes. Tomorrow the media circus, distracted by Manning's retirement on Monday, will wake up and realize there has to be something going on. Certainly Trevathan's agent isn't going to sit by quietly while all the big money deals are negotiated in the first few days of FA.

Many teams like to be in the news about their pursuits but at least one, Chicago, doesn't. Agents usually want the rumors out there as well to show there is real interest in their clients. Have we already come to a deal with Trevathan? Did we make him an offer he can't refuse such that he isn't even interested in visiting other teams? He said he liked playing for John Fox so if the money is right it could make sense that he's content to call it a day and go play for Fox and Fangio without talking to any other teams.

The one thing we learned last year was Pace is tight lipped. We have no idea what he is doing or want to do. I think when tomorrow comes, he will have one recruit we go after. The first contracts are usually fat ones, the kind he said he will avoid.

I would say the lack of rumors is a good thing. Normally the rumors are pure speculation on the media's part and not really leaks. They are just trying to get lucky with a scoop by linking us with known players at a position of need.

Also, Trevathan was linked to 3 teams, the Bears, Falcons, and Dolphins. Look what just happened with them:

1. Dolphins trade for Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell

2. Free-agent LB James Laurinaitis visiting Atlanta on Tuesday

So Dolphins out for sure with that trade (due to position and cap reasons), and the Falcons have decent cap space but still about half of what we have.

Tweeted that the Bears may sign him but not Jackson. I think most guys on here would be happy about that. I too like the idea of signing him and going for a couple of guys instead of Jackson.

If the Bears are able to sign two or three guys for the same price as Jackson the Bears will be in a way better position.

Tweeted that the Bears may sign him but not Jackson. I think most guys on here would be happy about that. I too like the idea of signing him and going for a couple of guys instead of Jackson.

If the Bears are able to sign two or three guys for the same price as Jackson the Bears will be in a way better position.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it's being reported there are 3 teams pursuing Jackson: Bears, Jaguars, and Raiders.

Seeing the crazy money being spent already, I don't have a problem with waiting for the secondary market.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it's being reported there are 3 teams pursuing Jackson: Bears, Jaguars, and Raiders.

Seeing the crazy money being spent already, I don't have a problem with waiting for the secondary market.

Just seen the Bears are favorites to sign Trevathan. He is my main piece.

Supposedly done. 4 years @ a little over 7M per season. Super stoked about this move.

‏@BradBiggs

Sounds like price tag on LB Danny Trevathan is going to be at or just a little above $7 million per season. That's not a surprise.

That is basically half the cost of the franchise tag for an LB, so this is an awesome deal if true.

I love the fact that he's young, athletic, and pretty darn good in coverage. Welcome addition and fills a huge hole. I still like the idea of adding a LB early in the draft.

Agreed. The fact that Fox was coach when he was drafted is almost like a he re-drafted him. There must be something good that he saw coming out of college (Kentucky) which has proven him (Fox) right.

In a brief snapshot of him, he's a former 6th round pick from Kentucky. Kentucky is apparently part of the SEC (who knew?) and Trevathan actually was leading the SEC in tackles for a large part of two years. So he's no slouch.

Now the question is, would you still go for (the other) Brandon Marshall? I would. And still draft an ILB in the early rounds. I think it would be awesome to have a duo like Trevathan/Marshall paired up again.

Agreed. The fact that Fox was coach when he was drafted is almost like a he re-drafted him. There must be something good that he saw coming out of college (Kentucky) which has proven him (Fox) right.

In a brief snapshot of him, he's a former 6th round pick from Kentucky. Kentucky is apparently part of the SEC (who knew?) and Trevathan actually was leading the SEC in tackles for a large part of two years. So he's no slouch.

Now the question is, would you still go for (the other) Brandon Marshall? I would. And still draft an ILB in the early rounds. I think it would be awesome to have a duo like Trevathan/Marshall paired up again.

Its nice to dream but that wont happen. Given up a 11 pick in the second round would be to pricy. We will draft an impact player there that will be cheap for 4 years , so that wont happen.

We would lose a 2nd for Marshall, so I wouldn't draft one if we went that route as we have too many other needs to commit that many resources (money and draft picks) to one position.

Its nice to dream but that wont happen. Given up a 11 pick in the second round would be to pricy. We will draft an impact player there that will be cheap for 4 years , so that wont happen.

I still think odds are pretty high Pace surprises most of us and drafts a QB early. If not moves up for a QB. I think if he can hit on a ton of needs in FA, it makes it even more likely he capitalizes on the QB now (presuming he likes one and some people with good connections indicate there is at least one QB in this class Pace is very high on), knowing you can transition with Jay for a year or two and buy time for the QB to develop (both Paxton / Wentz would fit the mold of draft in round 1, while needing some time on the bench).

Cutler is much more moveable a year from now as well and you could probably get an asset if you are ready to make the move than.

Absolutely don't want to give up a 2nd round pick for a guy who is a slightly above average LB. The Bears would be better just drafting an ILB in the first few rounds to pair up with Trevathan, and pay him the rookie contract.

Absolutely don't want to give up a 2nd round pick for a guy who is a slightly above average LB. The Bears would be better just drafting an ILB in the first few rounds to pair up with Trevathan, and pay him the rookie contract.

Agree 100%. You've got the coverage guy (which is the harder spot to fill). Now go to the draft and get your "run and hit" ILB whether it's Ragland, Lee, Cravens, Wright, whoever.