OT Bobby Massie to Bears

dawhizz

He had been wanting 8M per year. Curious what he ended up getting. On an unrelated note, does this mean Long is moving to LT or is he going back to guard?

That was just tweeted out:

Adam Jahns

‏@adamjahns

Sources indicate that #Bears have plans to move Kyle Long back to guard. FA would help dictate that, and now OT Bobby Massie to sign.

Good signing, but I hope the Bears don't start shelling out money just because they have the room. Stick with the Packer model.

I agree. I'm worried this would be on the higher end than I'd have liked, but, getting a slightly above average RT also means you we get an all pro guard back so the overall upgrade is pretty significant.

I agree. I'm worried this would be on the higher end than I'd have liked, but, getting a slightly above average RT also means you we get an all pro guard back so the overall upgrade is pretty significant.

Anybody signing on the first day of Agency is getting over paid, that is life in the fast lane. Above average player, probably a 5 mil guy?

Good signing, but I hope the Bears don't start shelling out money just because they have the room. Stick with the Packer model.

The Packers model is they draft well, which in turn results in them paying their own. Bears are not yet at that point, and will have to hit the free agent market until they start racking up consistently good drafts.

As for Massie, I'm cool with it. He's always been an up and down player, but hopefully with his buddy Long there to push him, it's more up than down.

The Packers model is they draft well, which in turn results in them paying their own. Bears are not yet at that point, and will have to hit the free agent market until they start racking up consistently good drafts.

Broncos did a combination of both and it worked very well for them. Even Pats have ventured into FA as well. You have to draft well, but you also need to take advantage of FA. That doesn't mean you put all your hopes on FA, but it can still be a valuable tool. I heard Polian on Monday talking about FA and he said the best free agents you sign are the ones you know. He went on to say, if you don't know the players, you are better off staying away from them. That means you know them through strong connections with other coaches (where you 100% know the real story) or preferably people in your organization worked with said player in a previous role.

In the case of who we have targeted, I don't know if we have any ties to Massie, but clearly with some of the other names, they often go back to people we had who worked with them in the past, thus you have a much better idea of the player you are getting, his work ethic, how a pay raise might impact it, how he fits in, how coachable he is, etc.

What I'm wondering is this by accident or design? We went hard after guard Jeff Allen presumably to play RG. We get outbid and then sign Massie to play RT. Was this just a matter of getting the best player available and figuring out the rest later?

Here's a better question: if Leno sucks do we move Long to LT?

What I'm wondering is this by accident or design? We went hard after guard Jeff Allen presumably to play RG. We get outbid and then sign Massie to play RT. Was this just a matter of getting the best player available and figuring out the rest later?

That was still a possibility, Long playing on the left side. Supposedly he was a better fit for the LT spot than the RT spot.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 2m2 minutes ago

As @JasonColeBR said, source indicates initial #Bears plan is to play Massie at RT, slide Kyle Long back to RG and keep Charles Leno at LT.

Interesting. We have one helluva a right side of the o-line.

Brad Biggs says it was a 3 year deal. No details on money yet.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

This is awesome for two reasons:

1) He's pretty damn good.

2) Long is moving back to the position where he kicks ass (like I said he should).

The right side is going to give the Bears 5+ YPC.

I'd love it if the Bears complimented this concept with a bruising FB.

A few weeks back Pace said he'd go best available (in his price range of course) and pickup Oline help at either RG or RT. He said the decision on who they picked up (FA RG or RT) would likely permanently decide where Kyle Long will be. While they were happy with Kyle's performance at RT, he didn't want to keep moving Long around to different spots every year. If Long goes back to RG that's his home.

Doesn't mean he won't be our emergency RT in a game or even get kicked out there if we get serious injury issues across the Oline but his main focus from now on should be at RG.

Massie struggled a lot early in his career but I think his play improved quite a bit. Not enough though because the Cardinals drafted a RT DJ Humphries in the 1st Rd last year. A quick look back at draft profiles indicates Humphries is probably the better pass protector and Massie the better run blocker. Guess we know what each team's priorities are.

A few weeks back Pace said he'd go best available (in his price range of course) and pickup Oline help at either RG or RT. He said the decision on who they picked up (FA RG or RT) would likely permanently decide where Kyle Long will be. While they were happy with Kyle's performance at RT, he didn't want to keep moving Long around to different spots every year. If Long goes back to RG that's his home.

Doesn't mean he won't be our emergency RT in a game or even get kicked out there if we get serious injury issues across the Oline but his main focus from now on should be at RG.

Massie struggled a lot early in his career but I think his play improved quite a bit. Not enough though because the Cardinals drafted a RT DJ Humphries in the 1st Rd last year. A quick look back at draft profiles indicates Humphries is probably the better pass protector and Massie the better run blocker. Guess we know what each team's priorities are.

I think they went hard after Jeff Allen and the money was to strong for them. Massie is average but improves our line because of Long back at guard. I would like to see the contract, bet after one year, can have an easy out if he doesnt pan out. He is not special, I would not doubt if they bring in a good guard for valve that Long could get pushed to LT. The other scenario is us drafting a LT. Leno played well for a 7th round pick but wasnt great by no means. I could still see them upgrading the OL. Another thought is maybe bringing back Mongomery for a year if Grassu isnt quite ready yet.

I think they went hard after Jeff Allen and the money was to strong for them. Massie is average but improves our line because of Long back at guard. I would like to see the contract, bet after one year, can have an easy out if he doesnt pan out. He is not special, I would not doubt if they bring in a good guard for valve that Long could get pushed to LT. The other scenario is us drafting a LT. Leno played well for a 7th round pick but wasnt great by no means. I could still see them upgrading the OL. Another thought is maybe bringing back Mongomery for a year if Grassu isnt quite ready yet.

They seemed to be in on both Allen and Massie. If they got Allen, Long would still be playing outside. Now with Massie he can move in and upgrades two positions with one acquisition. This worked out for us pretty good in the end.