Bears sign Freeman

Stinger226

So we go from the likes of SMC, Jones, and Anderson to Trevathan and Freeman. That is a massive upgrade.

Freeman turns 30 on May 1st, but has only played in the league 4 years, so he should have less wear and tear than a normal 30 yr old LB.

So we go from the likes of SMC, Jones, and Anderson to Trevathan and Freeman. That is a massive upgrade.

Freeman turns 30 on May 1st, but has only played in the league 4 years, so he should have less wear and tear than a normal 30 yr old LB.

For sure, he should play at a high lever for 3 or 4 years, and maybe this puts us in line to draft Jaylon Smith in round 3 or 4 and the future would look bright.

For sure, he should play at a high lever for 3 or 4 years, and maybe this puts us in line to draft Jaylon Smith in round 3 or 4 and the future would look bright.

Yes, Jaylon Smith would be in play (could ultimately replace Freeman in a couple of years).

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this guy, but it's good to see they are filling holes through free agency.

The team is rebuilding. If they just depended on the draft to fill needs would limit their options. I'm also glad they aren't trying to force a quick turn around by handing out huge contracts left and right.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this guy, but it's good to see they are filling holes through free agency.

The team is rebuilding. If they just depended on the draft to fill needs would limit their options. I'm also glad they aren't trying to force a quick turn around by handing out huge contracts left and right.

He is a very good player, kinda Lance Briggs to Urlacher was. (obviously speaking of Trevathan)

Very solid and both are at good prices.

I read the first year he payed for the Colts he had about 150 tackles. Not as many the next couple of years. Other then that how good is he????

Pretty good. 146 his first year, then 126, 95 (in 12 games), and 112 last year. More of s run stuffer/blitzer, which really compliments Trevathan.

Finally got one deal done, lets hope for Hicks and Gresham.

Yep. Hicks is the big must get. If we sign Hicks, we could still easily draft a 5 technique with the #11 pick. That's how thin we are.

That being said, I am a bit surprised we allocated so much $$$ to the ILB position. We are now spending 10 million per year. That's a lot of money for two guys who are good but not great.

Yep. Hicks is the big must get. If we sign Hicks, we could still easily draft a 5 technique with the #11 pick. That's how thin we are.

That being said, I am a bit surprised we allocated so much $$$ to the ILB position. We are now spending 10 million per year. That's a lot of money for two guys who are good but not great.

We do need a starting caliber DE. I personally fail to see how a guy who had 21 tackles last year is a "must get" (I'd be fine with Fairley and some others if Hicks wants too much). But I get your point.

We do need a starting caliber DE. I personally fail to see how a guy who had 21 tackles last year is a "must get" (I'd be fine with Fairley and some others if Hicks wants too much). But I get your point.

He was in rotation with 7 other pretty good DLinemen in New England. Only looking at the 21 tackles doesn't tell the whole story.

For some reference, Hicks played 399 snaps and got 21 tackles and 3 sacks. Jenkins played 635 and got 32 and 4. 10 tackles and 2 of those sacks came in 1 game.

Define great? Both were top 10 ILB's last year. With the cap at $155M, the average per player salary for the 53-man roster is about $3M, and I believe Freeman was signed for $4M and Trevathan for $6M. That is actually awesome for 2 starters of that caliber.

First of all , if he signs , it will be a team friendly deal.

He is a big body, with potential entering his prime.

It gives us more flexibility in the draft and at other need spots. I think personally that Ferguson ends up being a decent player, so it is always about getting the team better.

With Fangio here, he will max out a players ability which adds to his upside.

We will definity draft one so that would leave our DL, Goldman, Ferguson, Unrein, Hicks? and rookie impact player. That puts us in much better than last year.

He is still in Chicago, so I would say he is considering signing but probably has his agent checking out Detroit's offer to see if he needs to just do it.

Pretty much takes ILB off the board early, IMO. They now have two solid starters in middle and some young guys who showed some promise (Timu, Anderson, Jones maybe) to back them up. That's pretty much what you want.

I'd say it puts ILB into a take BPA slot. We no longer have to get one in the Rd 1/2 but we still need to add a rookie to the mix. I also think this means goodbye to SMC but I could see him coming back on a short term deal if he doesn't get much interest elsewhere.

The more I read on Hicks, the less I'm enamoured with him. The fact that he still hasn't signed makes me think he's either overrated or has a high opinion. And that they just resigned Unrein makes me less wanting him. He's definitely not a "must sign". On NFL.com and of the 'top 100 FAs available he's listed as #82. As far as just defensive tackles go he's listed behind my personal fav Knighton at #56 and BJ Raji at #48. If we're in the market for a pass rushing type DL there are even more of them listed ahead of Ayers.

Must get - no. If we get, maybe.

The more I read on Hicks, the less I'm enamoured with him. The fact that he still hasn't signed makes me think he's either overrated or has a high opinion. And that they just resigned Unrein makes me less wanting him. He's definitely not a "must sign". On NFL.com and of the 'top 100 FAs available he's listed as #82. As far as just defensive tackles go he's listed behind my personal fav Knighton at #56 and BJ Raji at #48. If we're in the market for a pass rushing type DL there are even more of them listed ahead of Ayers.

Must get - no. If we get, maybe.

The thing with Knighton, Fox knows him. His name would be mentioned if they had interest. Hicks is intersting, but he hasn't produced enough to make me think he is a must. We will double up on 5T's in the draft if we do not get him. I like Vernon Butler a lot at the role as a 2nd rd pick.

Pretty much takes ILB off the board early, IMO. They now have two solid starters in middle and some young guys who showed some promise (Timu, Anderson, Jones maybe) to back them up. That's pretty much what you want.

True. And isn't drafting an ILB at #11 kind of like drafting an OG at #11? It's just not a highly valued position.

At #11 I think we draft a dude who can get to the QB.

True. And isn't drafting an ILB at #11 kind of like drafting an OG at #11? It's just not a highly valued position.

At #11 I think we draft a dude who can get to the QB.

Spence? I know OLB like Von Miller can catapult a D, but not sure they go there. The Bears are in good position to take one or two guys around 5-6 round. Travis Feeney from Washington is my guy.