Bears sign Freeman

Stinger226

Spence? I know OLB like Von Miller can catapult a D, but not sure they go there. The Bears are in good position to take one or two guys around 5-6 round. Travis Feeney from Washington is my guy.

I'm not advocating for an OLB with our first pick but if we were to go that route I much prefer Leonard Floyd. He's quicker, faster, and more bendy around the corner than Spence. He's also more boom/bust than Spence.

The more I read on Hicks, the less I'm enamoured with him. The fact that he still hasn't signed makes me think he's either overrated or has a high opinion. And that they just resigned Unrein makes me less wanting him. He's definitely not a "must sign". On NFL.com and of the 'top 100 FAs available he's listed as #82. As far as just defensive tackles go he's listed behind my personal fav Knighton at #56 and BJ Raji at #48. If we're in the market for a pass rushing type DL there are even more of them listed ahead of Ayers.

Must get - no. If we get, maybe.

Raji that far ahead of Hicks is silly.

Last year

Raji- 444 snaps 22 tackles .5 sacks

Hicks- 399 snaps 23 tackles 3 sacks

Their best year.

Raji 6 years ago- 39 tackles 6.5 sacks

Hicks 3 years ago- 56 tackles 4.5 sacks

I wouldn't hate Knighton, but I've read that the Bears weren't interested at all last year, so I'd be surprised if that changed.

I wouldn't hate Knighton, but I've read that the Bears weren't weren't interested at all last year, so I'd be surprised if that changed.

Hicks is also 3 years younger and has history with Pace.

Yep.

Last 2 years as a starter(so excluding last year when he was apart of a rotation) in NO he had 96 tackles and 6.5 sacks......Raji's previous 2 years he had 43 tackles and a big ol goose egg for sacks.

Raji is nothing more than a name these days IMO.

Last year

Their best year.

Raji 6 years ago- 39 tackles 6.5 sacks

Hicks 3 years ago- 56 tackles 4.5 sacks

I'm not really a Raji fan, but to be fair, Hicks played mostly 3-4 DE, while Raji was a pure run-stuffing NT. Not sure sacks or even tackles are an accurate reflection of their comparative value or impact. I mean, Ted Washington was making the Pro Bowl as a 3-4 NT with 35-40 tackles and 2-4 sacks a year.

I'm not really a Raji fan, but to be fair, Hicks played mostly 3-4 DE, while Raji was a pure run-stuffing NT. Not sure sacks or even tackles are an accurate reflection of their comparative value or impact. I mean, Ted Washington was making the Pro Bowl as a 3-4 NT with 35-40 tackles and 2-4 sacks a year.

That's fair, though Raji has played a lot of DE actually.

Lets go another direction.

Malik Jackson the last 2 years has 88 tackles and 8.5 sacks. Hicks his last 2 years as a starter had 96 and 6.5.

Again (about history with Pace) I ask why does the history matter? He wasn't a starter in NO just a fill guy. Pace hasn't been proven right with him yet. If he had anything to do with him to begin with.

And as far as how he (Hicks) compares to Raji and Knighton I just read what NFL.com posted. Again there were more pass rushers (not just pure DLmen) listed ahead of Hicks. The troubled Aldon Smith (59) and long in tooth Chris Long - no pun intended (25). I also should mention that the aforementioned Nick Fairley (26) is still available who is listed as a simple DT.

Again (about history with Pace) I ask why does the history matter? He wasn't a starter in NO just a fill guy. Pace hasn't been proven right with him yet. If he had anything to do with him to begin with.

And as far as how he (Hicks) compares to Raji and Knighton I just read what NFL.com posted. Again there were more pass rushers (not just pure DLmen) listed ahead of Hicks. The troubled Aldon Smith (59) and long in tooth Chris Long - no pun intended (25). I also should mention that the aforementioned Nick Fairley (26) is still available who is listed as a simple DT.

First of all he started in 2013 in NO. he had 56 ts and 4.5 sacks.

secondly Fairly is two years older than Hicks.

to compare that to the best 5T in the league 64 ts and 12 sacks.

He isn't chump change.

Fairly last years stats: 29 ts, 1/2 sack .

Fairly has never had over 35 tackles in a year

Fairly's best year for sacks was 6

Fairly is smaller, slower and older, less productive. bad comparison.

I'm not advocating for an OLB with our first pick but if we were to go that route I much prefer Leonard Floyd. He's quicker, faster, and more bendy around the corner than Spence. He's also more boom/bust than Spence.

I'm sure it depends on who is available, but my guess is the #1 need of this defense is a guy who can get to the QB. In this scheme, it's an edge rusher OLB. I'd love to see us get an OLB who can be a playmaker on this team for years.

On a side-note, I'm currently resisting too much draft talk since free agency changes everything (last week at this time you could argue we'd draft an ILB at #11 . . . ). Secondly, in two weeks I'm heading to Gulf Shores where I plan on spending several days on the beach reading draft magazines. I have Nolan Nawrocki's 2016 draft guide on pre-order :)

First of all he started in 2013 in NO. he had 56 ts and 4.5 sacks.

secondly Fairly is two years older than Hicks.

to compare that to the best 5T in the league 64 ts and 12 sacks.

He isn't chump change.

Fairly last years stats: 29 ts, 1/2 sack .

Fairly has never had over 35 tackles in a year

Fairly's best year for sacks was 6

Fairly is smaller, slower and older, less productive. bad comparison.

Tell it to the experts at NFL.com. I was just repeating what they wrote and trying to figure out why so many get excited about Hicks. The fact he's rated lower than some 'has beens' should make you pause.

Tell it to the experts at NFL.com. I was just repeating what they wrote and trying to figure out why so many get excited about Hicks. The fact he's rated lower than some 'has beens' should make you pause.

Even they noted that he looked impressive down the stretch. Combine that with his solid 2013 and 2014 and there is reason to believe he would be a really solid pickup. Hard to imagine why they have Raji and Knighton ahead of him. I'm guessing because they think they're better NTs than Hicks is a 5T.