Martellus Bennett traded...Patriots

ASHKUM BEAR

Bears made the trade finally. They will get a draft pick compensation, which is unknown right now. Sounds like they are flipping some picks.

Wheeling and dealing continues: Bears are trading TE Martellus Bennett to Patriots for draft-pick compensation, league sources tell ESPN.

Bears made the trade finally. They will get a draft pick compensation, which is unknown right now. Sounds like they are flipping some picks.

Wheeling and dealing continues: Bears are trading TE Martellus Bennett to Patriots for draft-pick compensation, league sources tell ESPN.

Pats pick behind them so maybe a 5th for our 6th. Better than nothing

So pick #127 for hopefully #204 or #206, and not #185.

If it is 204 or 206, the draft value is basically the last pick in the 4th and cap savings for Bennett.

It was the 204th pick. Great work again by Pace to get something for a guy that was going to be cut. More cash to work with too.

So we gave back the 6th round pick the Pats gave us for Jon Bostic.

Basically we traded Jon Bostic & Martellus Bennett for a 4th round pick and 5.2 million in cap relief.

After the rookie pool, we easily have 15 million to spend in free agency. It's like we have more money than we know what to do with. I hope we spend up to the cap. Any nickel-backs available?

So we gave back the 6th round pick the Pats gave us for Jon Bostic.

Basically we traded Jon Bostic & Martellus Bennett for a 4th round pick and 5.2 million in cap relief.

After the rookie pool, we easily have 15 million to spend in free agency. It's like we have more money than we know what to do with. I hope we spend up to the cap. Any nickel-backs available?

Actually there is 1.125 mil in dead money, but still a plus.

I hate it, but better than I thought they would get.

Losing a top 10 WR, top 5 TE, and top 5 running back in a year is rough. I guess it is expected in a rebuilding period, but I don't like the reasons any of them left the team.

I am somewhat in agreement with you. Age and/or personality issues are not tolerated on the new Bears.

I didn't like BM leaving because he was NOT expendable.

I don't mind MB leaving because I believe he IS expendable.

As for Forte, I guess he wasn't expendable because the team is trying to sign his (younger) replacement.

I am somewhat in agreement with you. Age and/or personality issues are not tolerated on the new Bears.

I didn't like BM leaving because he was NOT expendable.

I don't mind MB leaving because I believe he IS expendable.

As for Forte, I guess he wasn't expendable because the team is trying to sign his (younger) replacement.

I think that a TE that can block and pass is a luxury. In that aspect I guess he is expendable, but not really replaceable.

I hate it, but better than I thought they would get.

Losing a top 10 WR, top 5 TE, and top 5 running back in a year is rough. I guess it is expected in a rebuilding period, but I don't like the reasons any of them left the team.

Here's how I look at it: In 2014 we went 5 & 11 and were an embarrassment. We gave away a legit #1 WR, had a TON of injuries, gave away Jared Allen . . . we finished 5 & 11 but WOW we had some close losses. We were actually competitive with Mariana as our #1 WR and no TE's.

We were bad with Bennett. We can't be much worse without him.

Here's how I look at it: In 2014 we went 5 & 11 and were an embarrassment. We gave away a legit #1 WR, had a TON of injuries, gave away Jared Allen . . . we finished 5 & 11 but WOW we had some close losses. We were actually competitive with Mariana as our #1 WR and no TE's.

They were actually 6-10 last year.

Way I see it, Marty was gone after this year anyway, so would you rather have one year of Bennett or a young, cheap potential starter for 4 or more years?

As a fan on the outside looking in we don't really know what's going on in the locker room and all that jazz or know just how much having everyone "buy in" matters to a team......At a work place, if you are vocally noncontent with your job, what happens?

We may like it or not, but the Bears are cleaning house and building a team with young players that can grow together and not be influenced with bad attitudes. When this core has grown and have their own identity and leaders, they can add a Marty Bennett if they need a push to get them a trophy. Since they have a year or two, there is no need to have a bad tree to drop its seeds.

As someone else pointed out a couple weeks ago, I still think there is more to this story than we are being told. Many here have noticed that there was tendency for Cutler to throw INTs Bennett's way early in the season. Then there is the fact the team removed him from redzone packages late last year. That's just mind-boggling considering all the WR issues we had. Both may be a result of poor practice habits or someone not paying attention to details. If the coaches and Cutler felt they couldn't trust Bennett to be where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there then it makes sense why he's gone.

PPL have been blaming Cutler's interceptions on different things for 10 years.

I really think it goes back to him an odd fella and saying things to the media that ownership/management didn't like. He called cutler out for being a bad QB atleast once that I can remember, maybe more times. I imagine they didn't get a long. He missed a game and said he didn't watch it. He wanted another big contract and didn't get it.

Only thing he has to do is show up and give his best and he did last year. It wasn't great but his ribs and other things were bothering him last year and he still tried to play.

I think that a TE that can block and pass is a luxury. In that aspect I guess he is expendable, but not really replaceable.

How do you not get he was a problem for the team? Yes he had talent, but was a problem for the new coach. He did not attend OTAs(bad start with a new coaching staff), he complained all the time he wasnt getting the ball enough. HE WOULD HAVE HELD OUT IF NOT GIVEN A NEW CONTRACT. He had run in with players on the team. Was sent home twice last year during practice for being a problem. Read about his issues , there is the stories coming out now that he is gone. Just because he is a good player, doesnt mean he is good for the team. To much of a me player,Fox needs guys to buy in to team effort not constantly causing problems.

Bennett ran bad routes and didn't fight for the ball many times. As good as he was, there were downsides to his play.

As the management has shown...it's simply time to move on. And at least we got something.

At best, we'd only have him this season...and I don't see us quite ready for prime time. Get the pieces in place now, vs having to figure it out when our window opens.

To much of a me player,Fox needs guys to buy in to team effort not constantly causing problems.

Of course, because our WR's looked so much better without Marshall, and the Jets suffered from his 109 catches, 1500 yards, and 14 TD's totally hurt the Jets.

It only matters what a player does on Sundays on the field. You're team doesn't improve from the loss of talented guys like Marshall and Bennett.

If you are a good coach, you ring them in and get it to work. You don't just cut bait for 5th round pics because you can't handle them.

Bennett

1. Unhappy with contract

2. Somewhat of a distraction

3. Last year of contract

4. Clearly was not going to give him a raise or resign him

5. Bears are a year away from being real contenders so no reason to keep him around see number 4

All Reasons why it makes sense to trade him for a Draft pick. This is a smart move for the future.

Of course, because our WR's looked so much better without Marshall, and the Jets suffered from his 109 catches, 1500 yards, and 14 TD's totally hurt the Jets.

It only matters what a player does on Sundays on the field. You're team doesn't improve from the loss of talented guys like Marshall and Bennett.

If you are a good coach, you ring them in and get it to work. You don't just cut bait for 5th round pics because you can't handle them.

Marshall was a cancer, history proves he wears out his welcome even thou he puts up good stats. Bennett plain and simple would have held out for a new contract, he doesnt really care about his teammates, it is all about money to him. The final straw was when he publicly stated he didnt watch his teammates play when he sat out the Thanksgiving day game. He is a good player but when all you do is be a whiny little bitch because 5 mil that you have owed to you was enough last year but now he wants more money. If you love Marshall so much or Bennett, they play for other teams, go watch them.