Tight End Topics

jason

The one thing you need in a Fox type offense is a good blocking TE and as much as we are talking about the same thing with pass catching ability, none of our TEs are good blockers. that is why we simply need to draft one.

Andrew Quarless is rated as a decent blocking TE. I am surprised we haven't heard his name, but he may not even want to talk to the Bears. Some players take playing for a rival serious, even over money.

Andrew Quarless is rated as a decent blocking TE. I am surprised we haven't heard his name, but he may not even want to talk to the Bears. Some players take playing for a rival serious, even over money.

Was actually thinking the same thing. And wouldn't have minded seeing him try out... Until I saw this.

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packers/911-c...-360816591.html

The one thing you need in a Fox type offense is a good blocking TE and as much as we are talking about the same thing with pass catching ability, none of our TEs are good blockers. that is why we simply need to draft one.

My thought is that our roster is already full of "catch first" TEs (Miller, Housler, Lee, Sinclair). If Miller manages to stay healthy, we're not going to get much production from a second pass-catching TE. If he doesn't, it's hard for me to see a big difference between the production, say, Nick Vannett would have and the production those other guys would have with the same number of snaps. And if what we need is a blocking TE, you don't need to use a pick in the first four rounds for that.

My thought is that our roster is already full of "catch first" TEs (Miller, Housler, Lee, Sinclair). If Miller manages to stay healthy, we're not going to get much production from a second pass-catching TE. If he doesn't, it's hard for me to see a big difference between the production, say, Nick Vannett would have and the production those other guys would have with the same number of snaps. And if what we need is a blocking TE, you don't need to use a pick in the first four rounds for that.

Kari Lee looks purely to be a blocking TE. He only had one reception last year. In the Washington game there was a ball that came his way and he looked like he had the hands of a defense tackle. That being said, we gave up a 2017 6th round pick for him which indicates we covet his blocking skills.

This discussion should be limited to will we draft a TE in the first 3 rounds? We do that, we expect them to be a receiver who contributes immediately. We use a 6th round pick on one, and they are going to be a special teamer for a couple years. IMO we don't draft a guy the first two days.

Why guy I haven't heard mentioned is Jared Cook. He be a nice player to add to the mix.

Kari Lee looks purely to be a blocking TE. He only had one reception last year. In the Washington game there was a ball that came his way and he looked like he had the hands of a defense tackle. That being said, we gave up a 2017 6th round pick for him which indicates we covet his blocking skills.

This discussion should be limited to will we draft a TE in the first 3 rounds? We do that, we expect them to be a receiver who contributes immediately. We use a 6th round pick on one, and they are going to be a special teamer for a couple years. IMO we don't draft a guy the first two days.

Why guy I haven't heard mentioned is Jared Cook. He be a nice player to add to the mix.

Actually one I like kis Scott Chandler. He is on the wrong side of 30 but is a very good blocker with some receiving skills. He wont be back in NE so through him a minimum deal and we may something that works.

Mike Pettine. The guy who drafted Johnny Manziel? And where were either Pettine or Manziel these days?

Sure it's possible he doesn't amount to anything but we should at least take a look. They've already re-signed him so why not? I don't think it necessary to draft a TE 'just because'.

I think even a child could evaluate drops. The fact of the matter is he was cut by the browns and was on the streets for 8 weeks before signing with the Bears.

Actually one I like kis Scott Chandler. He is on the wrong side of 30 but is a very good blocker with some receiving skills. He wont be back in NE so through him a minimum deal and we may something that works.

I'd be good with Cook or Chandler. Ideally we want Miller to stay healthy and add a veteran back-up we can work into some 2 TE sets.

I'm still wondering how we are going to spend that 10 million . . . .

I think it will be Cook, who has familiarity with Loggains from his Tennessee days (where he was last really good). Cook is still juts 28 years old. Below is an excerpt from a Tribune article:

One source said late last week the Bears were still nosing around on available tight ends and any addition would be to complement Miller. Jared Cook, 28, remains a free agent. He played for offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains in Tennessee before signing a five-year, $35 million deal in St. Louis in 2013. He had 142 catches and 1,786 yards in three seasons and was released last month. It's not known if the Bears have interest in Cook, who visited the Packers last week.

One item to point out is we have to fill the longer term void somewhere, as neither of these guys are long-term solutions.

Just seen today that Josh Hill/TE was in for a visit.,Is he the next one to sign?

Would make sense. Only 25. Comes from the Saints, so Pace is familiar with him. Pretty productive with limited snaps. He's an RFA, but at the lowest level so Bears would not owe compensation. Would say something about how the Bears feel about the draft at TE.

Would make sense. Only 25. Comes from the Saints, so Pace is familiar with him. Pretty productive with limited snaps. He's an RFA, but at the lowest level so Bears would not owe compensation. Would say something about how the Bears feel about the draft at TE.

TE's seem to take 2-3 years before they are up to speed, so signing a young FA who may be ready to break out might be a better route. I think Hunter Henry will be good, but do the Bears want to use their 2nd RD pick if he is there? There are a few other prospects worth consideration and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears still draft one later even if they sign Hill.

TE's seem to take 2-3 years before they are up to speed, so signing a young FA who may be ready to break out might be a better route. I think Hunter Henry will be good, but do the Bears want to use their 2nd RD pick if he is there? There are a few other prospects worth consideration and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears still draft one later even if they sign Hill.

i have been reading alot about Nick Vannett and sounds like a good prospect that would go in 4th maybe 3rd. We have two in the 4th so maybe that would be a good spot to grab him.