Shea gets a 3 year contract

Stinger226

He got a 3 year 12 mil contract with 3.5 mil guaranteed.

That is basically a one year deal.

Not let me see, Freeman at the same money or Shea?

Man did we win that one.

I agree we won that one, but I'm not certain of anything right now. I really have a bad feeling that the Patriots will put him at OLB and he'll put up good stats.

I agree we won that one, but I'm not certain of anything right now. I really have a bad feeling that the Patriots will put him at OLB and he'll put up good stats.

Well I hope they do and I hope he does.......but while he was here he was lost at every position he played.....didn't make big plays always slow to the ball....couldn't cover anyone'..so yes we won

Well I hope they do and I hope he does.......but while he was here he was lost at every position he played.....didn't make big plays always slow to the ball....couldn't cover anyone'..so yes we won

With the tape on Shea, I dont get what NE saw. Yes he made tackles but they were not at the line of scrimmage. They were always 4 to 6 yards down the field. He was countless times taking himself out of lanes to make plays because of his instincts. He had a difficult time shedding blocks. I really think he is a good guy but not a good football player. Time will tell, but do not think I am wrong about him. Because a guy has decent size or good speed, does not make him a good football player.

With the tape on Shea, I dont get what NE saw. Yes he made tackles but they were not at the line of scrimmage. They were always 4 to 6 yards down the field. He was countless times taking himself out of lanes to make plays because of his instincts. He had a difficult time shedding blocks. I really think he is a good guy but not a good football player. Time will tell, but do not think I am wrong about him. Because a guy has decent size or good speed, does not make him a good football player.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other hand, our coaching staff REALLY seemed to like him and went out of their way to compliment him. This staff does not unnecessarily compliment players. The fact that New England was willing to give him 3 years 12 million tells you something. Ultimately, like we saw with Martellus Bennett, a players value is determined by what NFL teams think of a player.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other hand, our coaching staff REALLY seemed to like him and went out of their way to compliment him. This staff does not unnecessarily compliment players. The fact that New England was willing to give him 3 years 12 million tells you something. Ultimately, like we saw with Martellus Bennett, a players value is determined by what NFL teams think of a player.

The persona is that NE never screws up but that is simply not true.

They acquired Jon Bostic last year from us in a trade. Here is his highlights for them:

Jonathan Bostic was acquired by the New England Patriots in a trade from Chicago on Sept. 29, 2015 ... Originally drafted by Chicago in the second round (50th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft.

SEASONAL REVIEWS

2015 (11/1 – Patriots)

Was inactive in the AFC Championship at Denver (1/24).

Was inactive in the playoff victory vs. Kansas City (1/16).

Was active but did not play at Miami (1/3).

Contributed on special teams and as a reserve on defense at N.Y. Jets (12/27).

Contributed on special teams and as a reserve on defense in the win vs. Tennessee (12/20).

Made his first start as a Patriot at linebacker and posted one special teams tackle at Houston (12/13).

Contributed on special teams vs. Philadelphia (12/6).

Contributed on special teams and defense at Denver (11/29).

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. Buffalo (11/23).

Contributed on defense and special teams in the win at N.Y. Giants (11/15).

Contributed on special teams and took his first snaps on defense as a Patriot in the win vs. Washington (11/8) posting one tackle on defense.

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. Miami (10/29).

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. the New York Jets (10/25).

Made his Patriots debut and contributed on special teams, posting one special teams tackle in the win at Indianapolis (10/18).

Was inactive in the win at Dallas (10/11).

What NE has is a very good coach, and Tom Brady. They roll people in and out until they find the right ones.The best trait I can say is they keep moving forward looking for talent. they did not find that in Bostic and IMO they did not get that in Shea.

New England screws up plenty. But they land correctly more than any other team. The Shea signing was telling because they have very little cap space. They are the best at bargain shopping and they gave Shea more money than any of us thought he would receive. Again, our coaching staff publicly stated they really wanted him back. I get what you are saying that he didn't show much on the field. But either we are right or the Bears and Pats are wrong.

With Bostic, they gave a very late 6th round pick for a former 2nd rounder. The knock on Bostic is that he has the talent to be successful, but he's undisciplined and always out of position. If the Pats can fix that it's a steal. If they can't, it's a 6th round pick. No big deal. The thing is, they have a full offseason and training camp to work with him. It's not like they traded a 2nd rounder to get him.

The persona is that NE never screws up but that is simply not true.

They acquired Jon Bostic last year from us in a trade. Here is his highlights for them:

Jonathan Bostic was acquired by the New England Patriots in a trade from Chicago on Sept. 29, 2015 ... Originally drafted by Chicago in the second round (50th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft.

SEASONAL REVIEWS

2015 (11/1 – Patriots)

Was inactive in the AFC Championship at Denver (1/24).

Was inactive in the playoff victory vs. Kansas City (1/16).

Was active but did not play at Miami (1/3).

Contributed on special teams and as a reserve on defense at N.Y. Jets (12/27).

Contributed on special teams and as a reserve on defense in the win vs. Tennessee (12/20).

Made his first start as a Patriot at linebacker and posted one special teams tackle at Houston (12/13).

Contributed on special teams vs. Philadelphia (12/6).

Contributed on special teams and defense at Denver (11/29).

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. Buffalo (11/23).

Contributed on defense and special teams in the win at N.Y. Giants (11/15).

Contributed on special teams and took his first snaps on defense as a Patriot in the win vs. Washington (11/8) posting one tackle on defense.

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. Miami (10/29).

Contributed on special teams in the win vs. the New York Jets (10/25).

Made his Patriots debut and contributed on special teams, posting one special teams tackle in the win at Indianapolis (10/18).

Was inactive in the win at Dallas (10/11).

What NE has is a very good coach, and Tom Brady. They roll people in and out until they find the right ones.The best trait I can say is they keep moving forward looking for talent. they did not find that in Bostic and IMO they did not get that in Shea.

I always wanted Shea to do well at every position he played but watching him last year my biggest criticism was he seemed unable to deliver a telling blow. When he was in position to make a tackle the running back/tight end/wide receiver always increased there yard after contact stat. I never show him drive someone backwards which is the sign of a good defensive player.

Regarding the Bears wanting him back the telling sign was 2 inside linebackers were signed before Shea. If the coaches felt he was good enough to start he would have been signed after signing Trevethan.

Hope the best for him but wouldn't be surprised if cut by Patriots after this season.

New England screws up plenty. But they land correctly more than any other team. The Shea signing was telling because they have very little cap space. They are the best at bargain shopping and they gave Shea more money than any of us thought he would receive. Again, our coaching staff publicly stated they really wanted him back. I get what you are saying that he didn't show much on the field. But either we are right or the Bears and Pats are wrong.

With Bostic, they gave a very late 6th round pick for a former 2nd rounder. The knock on Bostic is that he has the talent to be successful, but he's undisciplined and always out of position. If the Pats can fix that it's a steal. If they can't, it's a 6th round pick. No big deal. The thing is, they have a full offseason and training camp to work with him. It's not like they traded a 2nd rounder to get him.

I think when the coaching staff said they wanted him back if was a courtesy call.

I think when the coaching staff said they wanted him back if was a courtesy call.

Wanted back...yes. Unsaid though, is at what price?. When SMC wanted more than $3mil, Bears said we got better players on the market for that, and then they went and signed one in Freeman.

Wanted back...yes. Unsaid though, is at what price?. When SMC wanted more than $3mil, Bears said we got better players on the market for that, and then they went and signed one in Freeman.

Agreed. I figured he'd get 1 or 2 years for between 2-4 million. Ultimately it's better for everyone that he moves on. He's never going to live up to the expectation of being a #1 draft pick.