Goodbye Chop Block

AZ54

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000064...for-2016-season

I think this is good for the game and will change the game. It is common to get a chop block on the outside when a team wants a quick WR screen or inside slant. This should increase chances of getting to the QB too because OTs who get beat to the edge can't dive out there to take out the legs of the DE or LB. I expect some linemen will struggle with this and some RBs who like to dive into the knees of oncoming defenders instead of squarely taking on the player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000064...for-2016-season

I think this is good for the game and will change the game. It is common to get a chop block on the outside when a team wants a quick WR screen or inside slant. This should increase chances of getting to the QB too because OTs who get beat to the edge can't dive out there to take out the legs of the DE or LB. I expect some linemen will struggle with this and some RBs who like to dive into the knees of oncoming defenders instead of squarely taking on the player.

I don't think you're reading the rule right. The chop block on passing plays has been illegal for a while. Cut blocks, however, are still going to be legal because they're just blocks below the waist by specific players. The same goes for the OTs who are beat. I believe they are still allowed to go low when beat. The same thing goes for the RBs. They're going to be allowed to block low.

What's changed, according to the NFL Operations post (third bullet), is the high-low block that, apparently, was legal before for RBs. The high-low block is what the chop block is. So, I guess when the RB went in to help with the blocks he was allowed to chop before. Not now. But if a defensive lineman breaks through, the RB is still allowed to go low.

I don't think you're reading the rule right. The chop block on passing plays has been illegal for a while. Cut blocks, however, are still going to be legal because they're just blocks below the waist by specific players. The same goes for the OTs who are beat. I believe they are still allowed to go low when beat. The same thing goes for the RBs. They're going to be allowed to block low.

What's changed, according to the NFL Operations post (third bullet), is the high-low block that, apparently, was legal before for RBs. The high-low block is what the chop block is. So, I guess when the RB went in to help with the blocks he was allowed to chop before. Not now. But if a defensive lineman breaks through, the RB is still allowed to go low.

Yes, listening to the description on TV it sounded as if cut blocks were illegal, and they showed cut blocks on the edge while talking about it.

Yes, listening to the description on TV it sounded as if cut blocks were illegal, and they showed cut blocks on the edge while talking about it.

Crazy. I'd love to see the video related to what they're talking about. People often get cut blocks and chop blocks confused. Based on the rule, I'd say the video you're talking about doesn't match up. There must be more to the rule not in the bullet.