How about Wilkerson???

bradjock

From profootballrumors: "Though Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has said he is not “actively pursuing” a trade involving defensive ed Muhammad Wilkerson, Cimini says the Bears are a “team to watch” as the draft approaches, noting that New York would instantly accept an offer of the No. 11 overall pick. Wilkerson, who was designated as the Jets’ franchise player, can be assigned the franchise tag again in 2017, essentially allowing Gang Green to lock him up for $34.5MM over two years."

I love the idea of getting him and signing him to a long term deal. We have plenty of cap space and he will only be 27 in October. That being said, I hate the idea of giving up the #11 and I don't know how it would work with Alshon's situation.

From profootballrumors: "Though Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has said he is not “actively pursuing” a trade involving defensive ed Muhammad Wilkerson, Cimini says the Bears are a “team to watch” as the draft approaches, noting that New York would instantly accept an offer of the No. 11 overall pick. Wilkerson, who was designated as the Jets’ franchise player, can be assigned the franchise tag again in 2017, essentially allowing Gang Green to lock him up for $34.5MM over two years."

I love the idea of getting him and signing him to a long term deal. We have plenty of cap space and he will only be 27 in October. That being said, I hate the idea of giving up the #11 and I don't know how it would work with Alshon's situation.

That is a tough one, if we were going all in this year, I would say yes, but it has been proven that you win through the draft.

I almost think it would come down to who is available at #11.

That is a tough one, if we were going all in this year, I would say yes, but it has been proven that you win through the draft.

I almost think it would come down to who is available at #11.

He would be a great addition, but I would not want to trade the pick unless it was a swap like I did in my mock. That is equivalent to a mid 2nd in trade value, which is enough in my mind since they have two good players in place and need his cap dollar to get a QB. Plus, NYJ owe us from the BM gift.

He would make us a contender right away but would also hurt our cap going forward. Tough decision

He would be a great addition, but I would not want to trade the pick unless it was a swap like I did in my mock. That is equivalent to a mid 2nd in trade value, which is enough in my mind since they have two good players in place and need his cap dollar to get a QB. Plus, NYJ owe us from the BM gift.

He would make us a contender right away but would also hurt our cap going forward. Tough decision

I think the plan is 2 or maybe 3 years from now to be contending. If we got Mo, we're in instant cap ristrants. AJ, Mo, and Long coming up.

I think if we drafted lets say Robinson, he would be relativity inexpensive for 4 years, could turn out to be a Wilkerson type and we have no cap restraints.

I do not think we do because of the money. Tell me what Suh did to help Miami get to a SB? nothing

Straight up for #11? No.

1. That hurts our cap.

2. Rookie contracts don't hurt the cap.

3. At #11 the Bears have the potential to draft a superstar. Sure, it's an unknown, but there is upside. Wilkerson is a very good player, maybe even all-star, but he's not really a superstar.

That's enough for me to sit at #11 unless the Jets want to return the favor we gave them in the BMarsh trade.

Straight up for #11? No.

1. That hurts our cap.

3. At #11 the Bears have the potential to draft a superstar. Sure, it's an unknown, but there is upside. Wilkerson is a very good player, maybe even all-star, but he's not really a superstar.

That's enough for me to sit at #11 unless the Jets want to return the favor we gave them in the BMarsh trade.

What if they'd give him to us for our 2nd rounder?

Straight up for #11? No.

1. That hurts our cap.

Also, why is everyone so worried about the cap? We are 20 million under and it will be less when we resign Alshon. Also, who is the important player on this roster that will be a free agent in 2017? Willie Young? Even if we did get him and sign him to an extension, we are still in good cap shape for next year.

I look at the Chandler Jones trade as a good frame of reference. Both guys are really good and both guys are on 1 year deals. The Pats got a 2nd round pick and a former 1st rounder who has been a bit of a bust.......I would say Cooper(the former 1st rounder) is probably worth a 5th round pick. So the Pats kinda got a 2nd and a 5th for Jones.

A trade down from 11 to 20 has the same value as a 2nd rounder, and I would rather do that than give up the 2nd rounder all together. If they could do a trade down plus a 4th or 5th rounder, I would be ecstatic.

I think this article sums it up pretty good

Any team that trades for the Pro Bowl defensive end would have to pay the player (figure at least $50 million in guarantees) and compensate the Jets. The consensus is that anything less than a first-round pick would be highway robbery.

I would take a pass. Love the guy. Would love to see him in our lineup. But IMO too costly, we could have better options.

What if they'd give him to us for our 2nd rounder?

I'm not keen on salary cap stuff, but if the contract is not horrible for us, that's a done deal for a 2nd.

I only mentioned salary cap vs a 1st rounder because the benefits of a 1st rounder at his original contract is immense.

I'm interested but first and foremost is what his contract demands are. He's a really good player but as stated above, he's not elite like JJ Watt. He's going to want Malik Jackson money and based on his performance vs. Jackson he's correct to ask for that. I'd walk away from that but if he's willing to come in just under that bar, maybe the $13mil/yr range I might be talking to him. 12 sacks from an interior Dline position is pretty good and it's tough finding players who can do that. He instantly makes our OLB pass rushers better just from pressure up the middle.

Compensation to the Jets...I'd gladly swap picks in the first round... 11 for 20. I don't want to give up our 2nd Rd pick. I think the draft value at 20 is pretty similar to what we can get at 11, I just hope the Jets think differently.

There is no reason to push for this deal. The Jets are the ones in a bind with $175k in cap space, needing to sign Fitzpatrick, and DT talent is abundant in this draft. Fitzpatrick has nowhere else to go right now but after the draft that will quickly change as teams re-assess their needs. Denver is the wildcard in the QB market.

We did business with the Jets last year and it worked out very well for them. If compensation from other teams is similar to our offer that good will could push the deal to us. Pace needs to sit back, relax, and let the Jets clock tick.

I'm interested but first and foremost is what his contract demands are. He's a really good player but as stated above, he's not elite like JJ Watt. He's going to want Malik Jackson money and based on his performance vs. Jackson he's correct to ask for that. I'd walk away from that but if he's willing to come in just under that bar, maybe the $13mil/yr range I might be talking to him. 12 sacks from an interior Dline position is pretty good and it's tough finding players who can do that. He instantly makes our OLB pass rushers better just from pressure up the middle.

Compensation to the Jets...I'd gladly swap picks in the first round... 11 for 20. I don't want to give up our 2nd Rd pick. I think the draft value at 20 is pretty similar to what we can get at 11, I just hope the Jets think differently.

There is no reason to push for this deal. The Jets are the ones in a bind with $175k in cap space, needing to sign Fitzpatrick, and DT talent is abundant in this draft. Fitzpatrick has nowhere else to go right now but after the draft that will quickly change as teams re-assess their needs. Denver is the wildcard in the QB market.

We did business with the Jets last year and it worked out very well for them. If compensation from other teams is similar to our offer that good will could push the deal to us. Pace needs to sit back, relax, and let the Jets clock tick.

Very well reasoned. I completely agree. The Jets are in a world of hurt right now with contracts and the cap (only $175K? Really?!). They'll sweat this one out and make a deal that is more beneficial to the team that gets Wilkerson.

I'd argue that he is elite and he's 26 so would be considered a core player. I would absolutely swap 1st and give Wilkerson the money as long as we truly believe he's a difference maker in our D and have done as much homework as possible on his character, etc (as you don't want to run into a Suh incident and I don't believe we have anyone in the org who has worked with Wilkerson). I would not give up a 1st for him without swapping picks, given we are going to have to give him big money.

I think he would fill a major void on this defense.

Doug Moore ‏@DMooreNFL 2h2 hours ago

Still hearing that the #Bears are as of right now, the front runners for #Jets DL Muhammad Wilkerson. Lots of factors involved though. #NFL

Doug Moore ‏@DMooreNFL 2h2 hours ago

Doug Moore Retweeted Doug Moore

Biggest factors are compensation for #Jets & also for the #Bears to negotiate a long term extension w/ DL Wilkerson.

And the flipside. Gabriel is a very good follow given his ties to the org (which still seem to exist to this day, despite the fact that Pace is in now). Pretty successful overall career and he's had some good tidbits on potential Bears move this season so I consider him well connected.

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 17m17 minutes ago

These "insiders" throwing Mo Wilkerson to Bears rumors are just throwing darts at a wall. Nothing to it as of NOW

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 8m8 minutes ago

The real experts like @BradBiggs laugh at these "rumors". These so called experts are looking for followers and make stuff up

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 9m9 minutes ago

The people who get hurt by this BS are the fans who want reliable information

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 4m4 minutes ago

I've been around GM's my whole adult life. They tell nothing to the media this time off year. I've seen more lies this year than ever 1/2

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe 3m3 minutes ago

2/2 more lies than ever as to this GMsaid certain things about certain players. It's 95% made up by these Twitter experts

True. But this didn't come from some idiot on Twitter. It came from Rich Cimini who is a respected ESPN reporter who covers the Jets.

It's true GM's say nothing to the media, but in terms of these rumors, more often than not, where there is smoke there is fire.

The Bears have a ton of cap space and desperately need a DT. It's not a stretch that the Bears would inquire about Wilkerson. Hell, maybe we offered a 4th rounder for him. That could be the extent of it.

And the flipside. Gabriel is a very good follow given his ties to the org (which still seem to exist to this day, despite the fact that Pace is in now). Pretty successful overall career and he's had some good tidbits on potential Bears move this season so I consider him well connected.

These "insiders" throwing Mo Wilkerson to Bears rumors are just throwing darts at a wall. Nothing to it as of NOW

The real experts like @BradBiggs laugh at these "rumors". These so called experts are looking for followers and make stuff up

I've been around GM's my whole adult life. They tell nothing to the media this time off year. I've seen more lies this year than ever 1/2

2/2 more lies than ever as to this GMsaid certain things about certain players. It's 95% made up by these Twitter experts

True. But this didn't come from some idiot on Twitter. It came from Rich Cimini who is a respected ESPN reporter who covers the Jets.

It's true GM's say nothing to the media, but in terms of these rumors, more often than not, where there is smoke there is fire.

The Bears have a ton of cap space and desperately need a DT. It's not a stretch that the Bears would inquire about Wilkerson. Hell, maybe we offered a 4th rounder for him. That could be the extent of it.

I think were interested but dont see us giving out a 100 mil contract with we are 2 to 3 years away. I think that is something you do when your going for it, like when Denver grabbed Ware and Ward but were not large contracts.

After reading all this it might be that nobody is interested and the Bears at least have a passing interest. If there was an offer from Pace, whatever little it was, it might have been the best (and only) offer the Jets received. Let the clock tick.

I don't know what changed but I just checked at overthecap.com and the Jets are down to $20,547 in cap space.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They had just over $14mil, cut Cromartie, then franchised Wilkerson. That is why they can't do anything at QB or even in free agency right now. So the longer the Bears wait, the more desperate the Jets will become.