Laquan Treadwell

jason

I've done a ton of mocks on fanspeak and I've come up with a very common scenario many times: #11 kind of stinks for our needs.

Tunsil & Stanley are gone.

Buckner is gone.

Jack is gone.

The Bears are left with Elliott, Treadwell, Goff, and two DT/DE guys that may not fit (Robinson, Rankins).

So what do they do?

I hate the idea of Elliott.

I also hate the idea of a 1st round QB.

If someone were opposed to the DTs, then Treadwell may be the pick.

The only other option that I really like is Conklin. I'm not sure if Conklin is worthy of such a high pick.

I sure hope it doesn't play out that way. But if it does, would you be upset with Megaquon at #11?

I've done a ton of mocks on fanspeak and I've come up with a very common scenario many times: #11 kind of stinks for our needs.

Buckner is gone.

Jack is gone.

The Bears are left with Elliott, Treadwell, Goff, and two DT/DE guys that may not fit (Robinson, Rankins).

So what do they do?

The only other option that I really like is Conklin. I'm not sure if Conklin is worthy of such a high pick.

I sure hope it doesn't play out that way. But if it does, would you be upset with Megaquon at #11?

Yes I'd be upset. I don't think he's that good to merit the 11th pick and he certainly doesn't fit a need at all with White and Jeffrey on board. The 11th pick is a really bad spot to be in since Ramsey got hurt and Nkemdiche fell off a balcony and then opened his mouth at the combine.

I would prefer...

The top CB. While I'm not the biggest Hargreaves fan at #11 he'd be a much better choice than Treadwell.

I'd also be ok with Elliot. He's ranked among the top 10 prospects and that fits best available. I don't think Elliot is going to be an elite RB but I think he'll have a very good career with Pro Bowl potential. He has a lot of positive attributes as a runner but why I like him so much at this point is because he's an outstanding pass protection blocker. He's very good at scanning the front and moving to pick up the free rusher. Plus he will stop them in their tracks. That's not a trait Carey has, and Langford still has room for improvement although I think he'll be ok with another offseason under his belt. Any addition that better protects Cutler is a positive in my book. I also don't mind rotating Langford and Elliot both with enough speed to break long runs, and size/power to wear down defenders. That 1-2 punch would make for a good offense behind Long,Massie, Slauson, and maybe Ramirez starts at OC if Grasu isn't ready. Run them all day long. Both White and Jeffrey are good blockers as well.

I'd be ok with Goff too, although I'm dead certain if that happened we'd be trading down with the LA Rams.

Yes, Lawson was available. You're probably on track with this idea.

I might even take Dodd over Lawson in that situation, particularly if we want a pass-rusher we can plug and play at 3-4 DE. I think Lawson can play both 3-4 DE and OLB, but Dodd is bigger and taller and seems like a better fit to stick at DE right away. He might be viewed as a bit of a reach, but for what the Bears need, he fits the bill, I think.

Of all the names listed in this thread, Treadwell would be last on my list.

I've started to come around on Robinson after watching some more film and after they brought Hicks in(who I think can be a solid pass rusher). I think he would actually be #1 on my list.

I would have zero problem with Goff. Cutler seems to have greatly matured this last year and I don't think he would have a problem with Goff behind him for a year or 2. I expect this Bears team to be solid for the foreseeable future and now may be the time to go after that QB of the future.

Buckner is gone.

Jack is gone.

So what do they do?

If Goff or Wentz are there when we pick, we are either trading them to another team or we are taking them. I can't see us passing on one of those QB's at 11. I also see almost zero scenario where either of them are on the board when we pick. I would not draft the wideout. I'd rather trade down or give up our 1st for Wilkerson and a 2nd or the Jets 1st rounder) or take one of the CB's (such as Apple).

If Goff or Wentz are there when we pick, we are either trading them to another team or we are taking them. I can't see us passing on one of those QB's at 11. I also see almost zero scenario where either of them are on the board when we pick. I would not draft the wideout. I'd rather trade down or give up our 1st for Wilkerson and a 2nd or the Jets 1st rounder) or take one of the CB's (such as Apple).

You don't honestly see any way EITHER QB is there at 11? I see almost every scenario playing out that way. I hope you're right though, because that means a stud athlete at an actual position of need is there for us.

You don't honestly see any way EITHER QB is there at 11? I see almost every scenario playing out that way. I hope you're right though, because that means a stud athlete at an actual position of need is there for us.

I look at the teams above the Bears pick and believe the Browns, Cowboys, Niners, and Philadelphia could all use a QB and might all pick one high. I pretty much have 99% confidence that the Browns select one and presuming the Niners trade Kaep (and even if they don't), think with pretty high confidence the Niners take a QB. I also view the Rams as a team who has a strong need and could move up, however, I don't know that they will.

To be honest, I would be thrilled if a QB fell to the Bears and I think both of those QB's are worthy of being top 10 picks so I'm fine with the value at 11 and am on board with drafting them and having a future in place as Jay ages (in fact, if the QB ended up proving to be ultra worthy, Jay's deal will actually be pretty friendly and attractive so we could likely capitalize on a good pick when the time is right to move Jay even).

That said, I don't see two QB's getting past those four teams in particular. If the Browns pass, than I think the odds increase of one coming to us. I could also see the Jets being extremely interested in moving up as well. I actually think this is a pretty good QB draft, maybe not the sure fire #1 overall selection, but lots of players who have intriguing possibilities (whether it is Goff or Wentz or even the plethora of potential later round picks).

I look at the teams above the Bears pick and believe the Browns, Cowboys, Niners, and Philadelphia could all use a QB and might all pick one high. I pretty much have 99% confidence that the Browns select one and presuming the Niners trade Kaep (and even if they don't), think with pretty high confidence the Niners take a QB. I also view the Rams as a team who has a strong need and could move up, however, I don't know that they will.

To be honest, I would be thrilled if a QB fell to the Bears and I think both of those QB's are worthy of being top 10 picks so I'm fine with the value at 11 and am on board with drafting them and having a future in place as Jay ages (in fact, if the QB ended up proving to be ultra worthy, Jay's deal will actually be pretty friendly and attractive so we could likely capitalize on a good pick when the time is right to move Jay even).

That said, I don't see two QB's getting past those four teams in particular. If the Browns pass, than I think the odds increase of one coming to us. I could also see the Jets being extremely interested in moving up as well. I actually think this is a pretty good QB draft, maybe not the sure fire #1 overall selection, but lots of players who have intriguing possibilities (whether it is Goff or Wentz or even the plethora of potential later round picks).

Agreed 100%. Considering the $$$ Brock Eisweiler and Sam Bradford received, it's beneficial for a team to draft one.

It's hard to imagine Kapernick being with the 49ers at the start of the season. He doesn't want to be there and the team doesn't seem to want him. IMO the 49ers would love Goff.

Getting back to the original question, assuming we have White, AJ, and Royal, the WR position is a position of strength for the Bears. And this is a team that wants to run the ball more. No way we take Treadwell.

An alternative would be staying at 11 and swapping Alshon for Wilkinson and than maybe Treadwell becomes a more viable option.

With $175k in cap space I'm assuming the Jets biggest problem with Wilkerson is fitting him and a QB into their cap. They need a rookie pool too. For this reason the trade of Jeffrey for Wilkerson is not an option for them. Obviously some Jets players are getting cut but who? Take a look at their dead money column it is insane.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Dead money if player is cut:

Revis: $25mil

D'Brick $5mil

Marshall $9.5mil

Decker $4.5mil

Skrine $10.25mil

David Harris $7.5mil

Gilchrist $6.8mil

L. Williams $15.2mil

Forte $9mil

There are many more too...

They don't have a lot of good options except 1) Trade Wilkerson and remove his $15.7mil cap hit and/or 2) Cut, trade, or renegotiate with Nick Mangold frees up $8.6mil with zero dead money.

With $175k in cap space I'm assuming the Jets biggest problem with Wilkerson is fitting him and a QB into their cap. They need a rookie pool too. For this reason the trade of Jeffrey for Wilkerson is not an option for them. Obviously some Jets players are getting cut but who? Take a look at their dead money column it is insane.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Dead money if player is cut:

Revis: $25mil

D'Brick $5mil

Marshall $9.5mil

Decker $4.5mil

Skrine $10.25mil

David Harris $7.5mil

Gilchrist $6.8mil

L. Williams $15.2mil

Forte $9mil

There are many more too...

They don't have a lot of good options except 1) Trade Wilkerson and remove his $15.7mil cap hit and/or 2) Cut, trade, or renegotiate with Nick Mangold frees up $8.6mil with zero dead money.

They will probably just convert some of that money into guaranteed money and apply it in later years, especially for someone like Williams.

In regards to Treadwell, I would pass. We either get BPA that fills a need or trade down.

I could see the Bears selecting a player they like that might be considered a reach and that is CB William Jackson Houston or WR Corey Coleman Baylor at 11.I would prefer a trade back for those picks but, I'm still not zeroed in on what Pace's draft strategy is. This is all based on if Lawson or Hargreaves are also off the board and if there is one of the top QB prospects on the board take him unless you can fleece someone for at least 2 picks this year and 1 next year.