Kiper Says Leonard Floyd @ #11

BearFan PHX

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2016/4/6/...s-leonard-floyd

I dont see it at all. An undersized pass rushing linebacker who can't play the run? They say he isn't a 3 down player, but brings a pass rush on passing downs.

But we don't line up in 3-4 in passing downs, we line up at Nickel, and 4-3 ends like Willie Young are more suited to a 3 point stance than this kid.

Kiper isnt paying attention.

I dont see it at all. An undersized pass rushing linebacker who can't play the run? They say he isn't a 3 down player, but brings a pass rush on passing downs.

But we don't line up in 3-4 in passing downs, we line up at Nickel, and 4-3 ends like Willie Young are more suited to a 3 point stance than this kid.

First off, Kiper's an idiot. As an example of his many blunders. This about Ryan Leaf: "His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over other players in this draft." One of the "other players" from that draft class; Peyton Manning.

That being said, I've seen in about 2-3 other mocks where Floyd ends up with the Bears. Not sure that I'm a fan, especially at 11. I still think that if they are going to consider an LB, even if he's not currently an OLB, you have to consider Ragland. But, like the article states, there are other players on the board (according to the clown Kiper's predication) more worthy of consideration. IE: Lawson or Robinson.

Brad Biggs talked about this in his mailbag and he pretty much agrees with you. That being said, most agree that Floyd is a mid-first round talent. It's easier to find a 5 technique later than it is to find a legitimate edge rusher. You want to draft an explosive playmaker in round one. If we think Floyd can be that guy, I can totally see it happening.

First off, Kiper's an idiot. As an example of his many blunders. This about Ryan Leaf: "His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over other players in this draft." One of the "other players" from that draft class; Peyton Manning.

That being said, I've seen in about 2-3 other mocks where Floyd ends up with the Bears. Not sure that I'm a fan, especially at 11. I still think that if they are going to consider an LB, even if he's not currently an OLB, you have to consider Ragland. But, like the article states, there are other players on the board (according to the clown Kiper's predication) more worthy of consideration. IE: Lawson or Robinson.

IMO, OLB is our greatest need since that is arguably the most important position on this defense. While Willie Young showed promise, this is his last year and he's better suited for a 4-3. Pernell was hurt or ineffective the 2nd part of the season and Lamarr Houston could easily be moved to DE. Sam Acho is a nice back-up.

At #11 you want a guy who makes highlight reels. If that's Floyd, I'm good with it.

I'm not going to claim I'm smart enough to know who is going to be an impact player or who isn't. I'm only smart enough to go, oh god, that isn't a potential need or I can't see why we would do that given who else was on the board (relatively speaking from other positions). Bottom line, we need playmakers on defense and if the Bears think Floyd is that guy, I hope they take him. I tend to think the best bang for the buck would be Hargraves, but I don't know if he is there (by all accounts he seems to be that playmaking corner who has great athleticism). That said, I also think Elliot fits the bill and I still am of the belief that if Goff or Wentz is there, we take one of them.

There are quite a few of these next tier OLB / DE types and I think outside of Myles Jack (who might be there, most likely not), none of them really separate much from me and I have no freaking idea anyway.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't hate it. He's thin, but has good height and athleticism for the OLB spot. The Bears could rotate him in while he adds weight. My main concern would be the effect the added weight has on his quickness, but that's a concern for a lot of rookies.

IMO, OLB is our greatest need since that is arguably the most important position on this defense. While Willie Young showed promise, this is his last year and he's better suited for a 4-3. Pernell was hurt or ineffective the 2nd part of the season and Lamarr Houston could easily be moved to DE. Sam Acho is a nice back-up.

At #11 you want a guy who makes highlight reels. If that's Floyd, I'm good with it.

The OLB is the most important position on this D. If you can get to the QB, you can win. I agree with your assessments on our current players. The only OLB I can see the Bears taking if he clears medically is Shaq Lawson. He has similar size/speed to what we have, but he seems to know how to get to the QB better.

I would rather fill bigger needs on D over OLB, but understand if they go that route because of the importance.

on a side note: they take OLB early I bet we hear Houston/Young both grumble and ask to be traded

The OLB is the most important position on this D. If you can get to the QB, you can win. I agree with your assessments on our current players. The only OLB I can see the Bears taking if he clears medically is Shaq Lawson. He has similar size/speed to what we have, but he seems to know how to get to the QB better.

I would rather fill bigger needs on D over OLB, but understand if they go that route because of the importance.

on a side note: they take OLB early I bet we hear Houston/Young both grumble and ask to be traded

Willie Young asked to be traded last year. That didn't get him very far.

Last year I swore we were going to go OLB. Brandon Schreff going #5 changed the mix and allowed White to fall. With no White, I think we take Vic Beasley at #7.

Willie Young asked to be traded last year. That didn't get him very far.

Last year I swore we were going to go OLB. Brandon Schreff going #5 changed the mix and allowed White to fall. With no White, I think we take Vic Beasley at #7.

They might have, but they never took OLB in later rounds to say it was a need. I think they only take one if they feel that player will be better than we have. Next offseason, I think that is our #1 priority if they do not fill it this year.

I'm not saying I love it, but he is about as close to Von Miller as you get in this draft.

http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11575

No he's not. 3-cone drill Von Miller 6.7sec. Floyd 7.18sec. Aside from the lack of functional strength, this is the other issue with Floyd: He is quick but just not great at changing direction. More than a forty time this drill shows how well a guy will hold speed rounding a corner, or how quickly he'll accelerate in another direction. Cam Newton won't say it but Von Miller is in a very elite club.

Want to know why people are worried about Derrick Henry in the NFL: 3-cone drill 7.2sec. For reference Forte ran it in 6.84sec.

The lack of strength and agility make me say Floyd isn't worthy of being the 11th pick in the draft even if he is the closest player in the draft to Von Miller's abilities. If we were going with OLB at 11 I'd rather have Shaq Lawson who has a similar 3-cone time but also has the strength to play the run. He is the better player and that is backed up not just by physical attributes (forty time, 3-cone, etc.) but also by his production on the field.

I've mentioned him before on here. He is raw but full of potential. I think he can become a good player with the right coaching and Fangio would be the best guy to bring him up. I have never seen him mentioned on a mock draft before, but one of our 6ths would be my guess to get him. Now that I've mentioned him, he will go 4th round lol.

Aaron Wallace OLB UCLA 6-3 240

40=4.57 3 cone=7.35

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/aar...lace?id=2555320

I would prefer to solidify the backfield and dline early in the draft and bring in potential at a position like OLB. If they feel Floyd/Lawson is the next best thing, I will not argue.

Yeah, 3 cone drill is my favorite drill to look at when it comes to OLBs...

We all know I'm not really interested in a first round OLB. If we wanna draft one at all, go with Cowser later on.

Here are the combine results of our current OLBs.

Lamar Houston 4.84 = 40 7.81= 3 cone (he weighed 305 as DT)

Pernell McPhee 4.80 = 40 7.18 = 3 cone

Willie Young 4.83 = 40 7.24 = 3 cone

Sam Acho 4.62 = 40 6.69 = 3 cone

No he's not. 3-cone drill Von Miller 6.7sec. Floyd 7.18sec. Aside from the lack of functional strength, this is the other issue with Floyd: He is quick but just not great at changing direction. More than a forty time this drill shows how well a guy will hold speed rounding a corner, or how quickly he'll accelerate in another direction. Cam Newton won't say it but Von Miller is in a very elite club.

Want to know why people are worried about Derrick Henry in the NFL: 3-cone drill 7.2sec. For reference Forte ran it in 6.84sec.

The lack of strength and agility make me say Floyd isn't worthy of being the 11th pick in the draft even if he is the closest player in the draft to Von Miller's abilities. If we were going with OLB at 11 I'd rather have Shaq Lawson who has a similar 3-cone time but also has the strength to play the run. He is the better player and that is backed up not just by physical attributes (forty time, 3-cone, etc.) but also by his production on the field.

Von Miller was also the #2 overall pick and racked up 27.5 sacks in his final two seasons. Floyd had 17 in his final two years. Stats don't say anything and neither do statistics. Bottom line, I'm fine with Floyd and like the fact that he's a good athlete but just because they have some similar measurable's doesn't make them the same player (although to Jason's point, I'd agree that athletically he is the closest out of the other comps but that doesn't mean they are the same).

FWIW Mike Mayock, who's opinion I value much more than Mel Kiper has Floyd listed as his number 2 edge rusher ahead of Lawson and Spence. That doesn't mean they're both right just that they seem to have a similar opinion. If we are going to go undersized OLB then why isn't Darren Lee in the conversation? I like his athleticism, his versatility and the fact that he could be on the field for 3 downs because of his coverage ability. I have watched over the years these edge rusher from Georgia be ranked very high in the draft only to be pedestrian in the NFL.

Nobody who can get around the corner. Acho should be able to do so but I don't see that 6.69 3-cone skill on the field for some reason. Maybe he added weight and is just not as agile?

Look at the link I posted. In terms of explosiveness, Floyd has the most similar numbers to Von Miller in this draft. No other player really has multiple comparable numbers. He may not be perfect, but if the front office wants a clone of Von Miller, I believe Floyd is as close as they can get in the 2016 draft.

FWIW Mike Mayock, who's opinion I value much more than Mel Kiper has Floyd listed as his number 2 edge rusher ahead of Lawson and Spence. That doesn't mean they're both right just that they seem to have a similar opinion. If we are going to go undersized OLB then why isn't Darren Lee in the conversation? I like his athleticism, his versatility and the fact that he could be on the field for 3 downs because of his coverage ability. I have watched over the years these edge rusher from Georgia be ranked very high in the draft only to be pedestrian in the NFL.

Georgia's system seems to overrate / overinflate its pass rushers stats and get them overdrafted. Doesn't mean Floyd isn't good, but we'll see.

Good comparison.

This is a good breakdown of why 3-cone is not necessarily the key piece to look at. Acho did the best, but he's the worst on that list. Floyd essentially has Pernell McPhee's 3-cone drill score, but he's way more explosive than McPhee. In fact, it's almost comical how much more explosive Floyd is.

40: Floyd (4.6) > McPhee (4.93)

Vert: Floyd (39.5) > McPhee (28.5)

Broad: Floyd (127) > McPhee (107)

BTW - I'd say McPhee did pretty well last year. In fact, he was easily the Bears' best OLB.

Is Floyd thin? Yes.

Will he have issues vs. the run? Probably.

Is that going to be the primary reason he gets drafted? No. He'll be drafted to be an explosive rusher who gets to the QB.

Good comparison.

This is a good breakdown of why 3-cone is not necessarily the key piece to look at. Acho did the best, but he's the worst on that list. Floyd essentially has Pernell McPhee's 3-cone drill score, but he's way more explosive than McPhee. In fact, it's almost comical how much more explosive Floyd is.

40: Floyd (4.6) > McPhee (4.93)

Vert: Floyd (39.5) > McPhee (28.5)

Broad: Floyd (127) > McPhee (107)

BTW - I'd say McPhee did pretty well last year. In fact, he was easily the Bears' best OLB.

Is Floyd thin? Yes.

Is that going to be the primary reason he gets drafted? No. He'll be drafted to be an explosive rusher who gets to the QB.

Floyd doesn't have the frame to add bulk, so he is what he is.

He should slide down the board due to his issues of handling the run

He would be a great RD2 selection. I like his combine results, but I also don't want to draft workout warriors.

If they draft him knowingly he will only be in nickel packages, that is fine. Defenses are in that package more so anyways.

Is Floyd thin? Yes.

But we play nickel, with a four man front on passing downs, and he is too light to play from a three point stance.

Georgia's system seems to overrate / overinflate its pass rushers stats and get them overdrafted. Doesn't mean Floyd isn't good, but we'll see.

What? If scouts and GMs watch games live and game tape plus watch practices at the Senior Bowl etc. How can Georgia be responsible for guys being over drafted?I believe that the GMs and scouts have a lot to do with the over rating of the players.