Back up QB

Wesson44

I want Paxton Lynch as our back up to Cutler

Cutler can be effective 3-5 more years. I am not sure the Bears are ready to invest that high yet. If one falls that the like, I think they explore trading down for the value. A QB adds value to the "trade value chart" compared to other positions.

Cutler can be effective 3-5 more years. I am not sure the Bears are ready to invest that high yet. If one falls that the like, I think they explore trading down for the value. A QB adds value to the "trade value chart" compared to other positions.

Ideally we draft a guy in the 4th round. Say Christian Hackenberg is available. Let him sit behind Cutler for a couple of years. If he develops--that's awesome.

Fourth round just seems like the ideal place to draft a guy you don't have to start immediately but is talented enough to be a potential good back-up/good starter. Less expectations.

No thanks. The price tag for Lynch is too high when the Bears need help in many other places.

Mid-round is about right. I'd like Dak Prescott in the 4th or 5th if we absolutely have to pick a guy.

I think we need to use the Packers led.....when they drafted Rodgers to sit behind Farve. Not saying Lynch is going to be another Rodgers.....but maybe a big Ben type qb

I think we need to use the Packers led.....when they drafted Rodgers to sit behind Farve. Not saying Lynch is going to be another Rodgers.....but maybe a big Ben type qb

The thing about the Packers that year is they didn't really have holes to fill. If I remember correctly they had a top 10 offense and defense.

Also though, when Rogers was drafted, there was a legitimate debate between him or Alex Smith. The thinking was they'd go 1-2. So it was shocking he fell as far as he did. Jason Campbell was drafted after Rogers.

Lynch is a distant #3 in terms of quarterbacks in this draft. And as SCS alluded too, we have WAY too many holes to fill.

Not to mention, Jay Cutler turns 33 this year. So many of the top QB's are way older than Cutler (Brady, Brees, Palmer, Rothlisberger). I think we can hope for 3-4 more good years from him.

Also though, when Rogers was drafted, there was a legitimate debate between him or Alex Smith. The thinking was they'd go 1-2. So it was shocking he fell as far as he did. Jason Campbell was drafted after Rogers.

Lynch is a distant #3 in terms of quarterbacks in this draft. And as SCS alluded too, we have WAY too many holes to fill.

Not to mention, Jay Cutler turns 33 this year. So many of the top QB's are way older than Cutler (Brady, Brees, Palmer, Rothlisberger). I think we can hope for 3-4 more good years from him.

I somewhat agree...but you say Cutler turns 33 and has 3-4 years left....how many years did Rodgers sit behind Farve

I somewhat agree...but you say Cutler turns 33 and has 3-4 years left....how many years did Rodgers sit behind Farve

He still isn't the long-term answer. The knock on Lynch is that he is raw. The talent is there. He has a lot of physical tools and needs time. Jay Cutler buys you that time and can be the guy for the next two years while you transition (and ultimately if Jay is playing good and you also have Lynch who you like, that is a good problem to have, imo). QB's have a ton of value on the trade market (one of the few positions) and there are always teams looking for an upgrade. IF we need to we can always capitalize on Jay a year from now, etc (unless he seriously regresses and if he does, we can cut him and be glad that we drafted the QB when we did).

Given what looks to be there, I don't expect one of the LT's to be available and don't see a difference maker OLB/Dlineman in 1st, so I either want an impact corner or a QB / Elliot. Never thought I'd even think about a RB but I just don't get that excited about a lot of the other candidates and do think Ezekiel / Langford can be a pretty special combo and given Fox's propensity for being a power rushing team with a strong defense which should allow any QB to maximize his abilities. Wish we had a shot at Buckner or Bosa.

Note: Big Ben was a raw, talented QB from a smaller school who was the 3rd QB taken in his draft, coincidentally with the 11th pick in the 1st round by the Steelers.

No thanks. The price tag for Lynch is too high when the Bears need help in many other places.

Mid-round is about right. I'd like Dak Prescott in the 4th or 5th if we absolutely have to pick a guy.

Since we started discussing draft prospects you and I have been the main two posters to mention Prescott routinely. I like his game and think he can come in and learn under Jay but if they are going to insist on going with only 2 QBs then it would make sense to go with an earlier projected prospect.

I see where the Bears are bringing in Lynch for a workout now. I think it's pretty clear we will be drafting a QB relatively high between the fact that Fales is our current #2, we didn't make any attempt to sign a veteran QB (as far as I can tell) and we've shown some level of interest in just about every QB projected to go in the first 5 rounds. I'm very interested to see who they get. I'm personally not a fan of drafting Wentz/Goff/Lynch in the first considering our other needs and I don't really like Conner Cook or Hackenberg, and while Prescott's my favorite, I could get behind Prescott, Hogan, Brissett, Sudfeld, or even Kessler or Allen.

I see where the Bears are bringing in Lunch for a workout now. I think it's pretty clear we will be drafting a QB relatively high between the fact that Fales is our current #2, we didn't make any attempt to sign a veteran QB (as far as I can tell) and we've shown some level of interest in just about every QB projected to go in the first 5 rounds. I'm very interested to see who they get. I'm personally not a fan of drafting Wentz/Goff/Lynch in the first considering our other needs and I don't really like Conner Cook or Hackenberg, and while Prescott's my favorite, I could get behind Prescott, Hogan, Brissett, Sudfeld, or even Kessler or Allen.

I like when the Bears bring in lunch!!! They very well could draft a QB early, I think it is all part of the Best Player Available process. Pace is feeling out the most important position and if Wentz, Goff, Lynch or whomever is available, he may take him if he is his BPA. I think if they take a QB, regardless of how high, we will carry 3 on the roster part of the year. At 11, they are all game. Heck, Jaylon Smith may even be back in the mix as he started running. He has a medical re-check soon, if results a good, he may be late 1st consideration. Still would have to trade down or take a shot RD2 if he is there. As for QB, I have been leaning on Prescott or Cardale Jones around RD4.

I like when the Bears bring in lunch!!! They very well could draft a QB early, I think it is all part of the Best Player Available process. Pace is feeling out the most important position and if Wentz, Goff, Lynch or whomever is available, he may take him if he is his BPA. I think if they take a QB, regardless of how high, we will carry 3 on the roster part of the year. At 11, they are all game. Heck, Jaylon Smith may even be back in the mix as he started running today. His medical check may come back with better than thought of results. As for QB, I have been leaning on Prescott or Cardale Jones around RD4.

Darn auto-correct.

I like when the Bears bring in lunch!!! They very well could draft a QB early, I think it is all part of the Best Player Available process. Pace is feeling out the most important position and if Wentz, Goff, Lynch or whomever is available, he may take him if he is his BPA. I think if they take a QB, regardless of how high, we will carry 3 on the roster part of the year. At 11, they are all game. Heck, Jaylon Smith may even be back in the mix as he started running. He has a medical re-check soon, if results a good, he may be late 1st consideration. Still would have to trade down or take a shot RD2 if he is there. As for QB, I have been leaning on Prescott or Cardale Jones around RD4.

From reports it seems Jaylon Smith is already back into the end of the 1st Rd and each day he seems to be getting higher. Top 10? I doubt it. Those clubs usually have serious needs and more often than not need immediate help to save people's jobs. If the medical check is very positive, after the top 8 prospects are off the board (plus one or two surprise picks) then I can see Smith going anywhere from 10th on down to late 1st.

The quarterback of the future is imperative. Cutler is not guaranteed to play 4 more years. I don't like to plan QB based on OTHER needs. If your guy is there, take him! People say GB took Rodgers as a luxury. I say, how could you not? If you pass on that guy, you may be back to the Bears of the nineties to mid 2K. Solid QB is always a must.

The quarterback of the future is imperative. Cutler is not guaranteed to play 4 more years. I don't like to plan QB based on OTHER needs. If your guy is there, take him! People say GB took Rodgers as a luxury. I say, how could you not? If you pass on that guy, you may be back to the Bears of the nineties to mid 2K. Solid QB is always a must.

Yeah but half the teams in the league have terrible quarterbacks that they are either waiting to develop or they'd like to replace. The other half that do have quarterbacks, NONE of them have an heir apparent waiting in the wings.

The one team that did have a QB replacement was Denver . . . how'd that work out for them?

Yeah but half the teams in the league have terrible quarterbacks that they are either waiting to develop or they'd like to replace. The other half that do have quarterbacks, NONE of them have an heir apparent waiting in the wings.

The one team that did have a QB replacement was Denver . . . how'd that work out for them?

I don't think this season is the time to go big on a qb for a team building purposes. RD4 or after, sure. Find a guy that might be diamond in the rough, whatever. We need at DT, S, CB, OLB, and OT that can be steals. I will say next year QB can become a higher priority.

I don't think this season is the time to go big on a qb for a team building purposes. RD4 or after, sure. Find a guy that might be diamond in the rough, whatever. We need at DT, S, CB, OLB, and OT that can be steals. I will say next year QB can become a higher priority.

Problem is that we always say it will be a better time next year.

Problem is that we always say it will be a better time next year.

That isn't an indication of a proper team-building philosophy. It's just an indication of how bad the Bears have been for so long. The Bears simply have needed multiple positions for multiple years, and Cutler has been a better QB than the starters at several other positions. The team has been horribly built, incompetently drafted, and poorly coached. That's not a sign the Bears need a new QB. That's a sign the Bears needed new ownership and management.

At least we got new management, and Fox appears to be doing things the way we've talked about for years.

That isn't an indication of a proper team-building philosophy. It's just an indication of how bad the Bears have been for so long. The Bears simply have needed multiple positions for multiple years, and Cutler has been a better QB than the starters at several other positions. The team has been horribly built, incompetently drafted, and poorly coached. That's not a sign the Bears need a new QB. That's a sign the Bears needed new ownership and management.

At least we got new management, and Fox appears to be doing things the way we've talked about for years.

Sad but true...