Josh Norman just became FA

Stinger226

Panthers rescind franchise tag because they are unable to reach an agreement on a long term contract. Bears have cap space.

I'm not generally one of those guys who says "let's get him" for every FA out there, and it sounds he's going to be asking for a chunk of change, but Pace has to at least ask, right?

Beat me to it!

Panthers rescind franchise tag because they are unable to reach an agreement on a long term contract. Bears have cap space.

I'm not generally one of those guys who says "let's get him" for every FA out there, and it sounds he's going to be asking for a chunk of change, but Pace has to at least ask, right?

Do we sign Norman or Wilkerson. These are 2 massive areas of need and obviously this is dependent on the Jets wanting a trade partner. We could bring Norman in to put pressure on the Jets to make the trade or sign Norman and hopefully Buckner drops to 11th or we look to trade up. Do we have enough cap space to sign both Norman and Wilkerson, and with the other signings in free agency would this be a. Total turnaround in the ranking of our defense.

I wonder what he wants? 5 years 90 million??? That would be HUGE if we could nab him. All of a sudden our secondary is respectable.

My gut tells me no on Norman. Pace doesn't like to be the first out the gate & he'll be in his 30's in a few years. However, if the Jets need to move up to 11...I can see Pace taking Wilkerson. He's a real disruptor.

I wouldn't think we've got the cap to sign both.

Do we sign Norman or Wilkerson. These are 2 massive areas of need and obviously this is dependent on the Jets wanting a trade partner. We could bring Norman in to put pressure on the Jets to make the trade or sign Norman and hopefully Buckner drops to 11th or we look to trade up. Do we have enough cap space to sign both Norman and Wilkerson, and with the other signings in free agency would this be a. Total turnaround in the ranking of our defense.

I'd much rather Wilkerson. I know we'd have to give up something, but Norman is 29 years old whereas Wilkerson is 26. I'm not eager to give a wad of cash to a CB to pay for his 30s years, and Pace doesn't seem like the type to do so either. No way we get both.

I'd much rather Wilkerson. I know we'd have to give up something, but Norman is 29 years old whereas Wilkerson is 26. I'm not eager to give a wad of cash to a CB to pay for his 30s years, and Pace doesn't seem like the type to do so either. No way we get both.

Paying the kind of money he is asking for never turns out well.

I don't know if he can get that type of money long-term (given where we are in FA and with most teams having used up there cap space). I'm intrigued but I didn't realize he was already 28. It also seems to me that a lot of big money FA CB signings tend to bust. I don't know what it is about CB's, but I figure it must have to deal with the variety of schemes, etc. That said, Norman seems like one of those guys who isn't a scheme CB and should fit anywhere. I'd prefer Wilkerson if they were both on the market (given Wilkerson's age and his ability to disrupt the line and pressure the QB) but Norman is a premium DB and we could use improvements in the secondary. That said, I don't see Bears sniffing unless he's willing to go shorter-term and I can't imagine that happening (his current asking price is extremely expensive).

Made my last post while on the road and without reading more into it. He's really turning 29 this year??? Yeesh. Feel like I didn't start hearing about him till last year so I assumed he was younger.

If they can get creative and make it easy to cut him after 3 or 4 years I would still be interested, but 6/96 at his age with no easy outs scares me a bit.

I'm not interested in him at that price. If I got to choose I'd gladly take Wilkerson and his high price tag over Norman. Norman is one of the better CBs but I've seen far too many analysts say he's not an elite CB. He wants elite money. Wilkerson is an elite 3-4 DE and with his pressure any average secondary coverage on either side, or in the slot, will be good enough.

Wilkerson, while younger, has spent 5 seasons in the NFL and played in 77 regular season games. Norman has been in the NFL for 4 seasons and has played in 53 regular season games. Which guy is younger in terms of football years?

Except Wilkerson ain't available. It would cost us our #1 pick. And now that it seems likely 3 QB's will go in the top 10, that pick just became more valuable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely take Wilkerson over Norman. But if it's Norman and a REALLY good player . . . That's a no brainer.

Who is younger in terms of NFL games/years?

Who is younger in terms of chronological age?

Neither matters to me. I think Wilkerson is a better bet because getting the right DL and LB group together means we could put just about any NFL ready CB back there. Kind of like the 85 Bears...it didn't much matter who was at CB because the opposing QBs had zero time to throw the ball.

I say pass on Norman.

Neither matters to me. I think Wilkerson is a better bet because getting the right DL and LB group together means we could put just about any NFL ready CB back there. Kind of like the 85 Bears...it didn't much matter who was at CB because the opposing QBs had zero time to throw the ball.

I say pass on Norman.

Do you want to give up the #11 pick and pay Wilkerson?

I just view it as we are sitting on 20 million. If we think he can work in our system and eliminate the #1 WR, I'm all for it.

I say pass on Norman.

I am not sure anybody has the money left in the till to give him that heavy contract. I think someone will throw 1 year 15 mil at him and then he would hope to catch a big contract off season. We dont need to be that team.

Do you want to give up the #11 pick and pay Wilkerson?

I just view it as we are sitting on 20 million. If we think he can work in our system and eliminate the #1 WR, I'm all for it.

Gotta pay Wilkerson or Norman either way, right? I'd rather pay the big boy than the DB.

I am not sure anybody has the money left in the till to give him that heavy contract. I think someone will throw 1 year 15 mil at him and then he would hope to catch a big contract off season. We dont need to be that team.

There are surprisingly quite a few teams left with a ton of cap space. Most of them being bad teams though.

From what I've read, he has talked about playing in Cali previously, and the 49ers have tons of cash.

There are surprisingly quite a few teams left with a ton of cap space. Most of them being bad teams though.

From what I've read, he has talked about playing in Cali previously, and the 49ers have tons of cash.

He'd be the type of signing that would generate a lot of fan interest so I could definitely see the 49ers jumping in.