Josh Norman just became FA

Stinger226

There are surprisingly quite a few teams left with a ton of cap space. Most of them being bad teams though.

From what I've read, he has talked about playing in Cali previously, and the 49ers have tons of cash.

If you subtract draft contracts and operating capital for the year, only the 49ers, Jaguars, and Browns, are in the position.

The Giants and Bears are next on that list, but to have 16 mil to give to him, they would have to shuffle money.

He wants to go to contender, and to the West Coast.

49ers seem the best chance because it will come down to money and he will take the money. When in Philly Kelly paid Byron Maxwell 63 mil contract that averaged 10.5 mil a year.

They could easily give Norman 5 year 96 mil.

Any huge contracts to FAs usually turn out on the wrong side. Look at the money they gave Suh last year and the team got worse, then they lose good players because they didnt have the money to pay them.

Simply giving huge contracts is dumb and dumber III

If he wants to play for a contender, us and the Giants are the only teams close to being contenders, is he going to sign for 12 mil? no way

Who is younger in terms of NFL games/years?

Who is younger in terms of chronological age?

Neither matters to me. I think Wilkerson is a better bet because getting the right DL and LB group together means we could put just about any NFL ready CB back there. Kind of like the 85 Bears...it didn't much matter who was at CB because the opposing QBs had zero time to throw the ball.

I say pass on Norman.

comparisons to 1985 are pretty much apples to oranges. it's a whole different game since that time not to mention i believe leslie fraser was a highly underated player.

My gut tells me no on Norman. Pace doesn't like to be the first out the gate & he'll be in his 30's in a few years. However, if the Jets need to move up to 11...I can see Pace taking Wilkerson. He's a real disruptor.

I wouldn't think we've got the cap to sign both.

i can't attest to whether the money would hurt us long term but as far as age? i don't see it. one of the bigger blunders we made in 2006 and in my opinion during the first decade of the 21st century, was not picking up charles woodson. this hurt us for one hell of a long time.

woodson went to the packers at the age of 30 and played at a high level with them for 7 years in which at LEAST 5 of those years he was a verry good corner. age wise? he was in the probowl at the ages 32-35.

champ bailey played a long long time also. whether norman is of the bailey caliber i can't say but it certainly wouldn't hamper a player coming in at the age of 28 (turning 29 in december of this year).

i can't attest to whether the money would hurt us long term but as far as age? i don't see it. one of the bigger blunders we made in 2006 and in my opinion during the first decade of the 21st century, was not picking up charles woodson. this hurt us for one hell of a long time.

woodson went to the packers at the age of 30 and played at a high level with them for 7 years in which at LEAST 5 of those years he was a verry good corner. age wise? he was in the probowl at the ages 32-35.

champ bailey played a long long time also. whether norman is of the bailey caliber i can't say but it certainly wouldn't hamper a player coming in at the age of 28 (turning 29 in december of this year).

You are mentioning 2 HOF DBs IMO, can you say that Norman is in that same category?

For every good example you give, there are 5 that didnt turn out well. History doesnt lie.

You are mentioning 2 HOF DBs IMO, can you say that Norman is in that same category?

certainly not for someone who has only played 4 seasons. what i CAN attest to is in his fourth season he was an all-pro and pro-bowl player. whether elite or not it seems to me this guys career is on the rise with the potential to be better than any #1 CB on this team in recent memory or longer. as i have said in the past, it is HIGHLY unlikely to find a premium QB, OLT,, DE or CB at a young age in free agency every 10 years or ever.

this would solidify our DB's for years to come and would leave our main concern this season at finding, most important to me, an OLT or possibly a QB on offense. this means if we wanted to we could even trade up for the left tackle we desperately need after filling key components in free agency on defense.

now... that said, is he worth the money and what kind of reasonably friendly contract can stein come up with? unknown. we have the cash now but if it hurts our team in our rebuilding stage future then no, it's not the way we want to go.

NOTE: the reference to these two players was to demonstrate that at the age of this guy is NOT a detriment whether you hire him or not.

certainly not for someone who has only played 4 seasons. what i CAN attest to is in his fourth season he was an all-pro and pro-bowl player. whether elite or not it seems to me this guys career is on the rise with the potential to be better than any #1 CB on this team in recent memory or longer. as i have said in the past, it is HIGHLY unlikely to find a premium QB, OLT,, DE or CB at a young age in free agency every 10 years or ever.

this would solidify our DB's for years to come and would leave our main concern this season at finding, most important to me, an OLT or possibly a QB on offense. this means if we wanted to we could even trade up for the left tackle we desperately need after filling key components in free agency on defense.

now... that said, is he worth the money and what kind of reasonably friendly contract can stein come up with? unknown. we have the cash now but if it hurts our team in our rebuilding stage future then no, it's not the way we want to go.

NOTE: the reference to these two players was to demonstrate that at the age of this guy is NOT a detriment whether you hire him or not.

In terms of the money, we have 20 million in cap room and likely more once we sign AJ to a long term deal. AND there are no major players that we need to resign next year meaning we are going to continue to have a ton of cap room. At what point do we spend this $$$?

In terms of the money, we have 20 million in cap room and likely more once we sign AJ to a long term deal. AND there are no major players that we need to resign next year meaning we are going to continue to have a ton of cap room. At what point do we spend this $$$?

i am with you. if we can structure a deal that doesn't hinder our development in the future i have no problem doing it if the guy fits into our system.

I agree way too much especially guaranteed. We have a big need at cornerback but I would have not wanted Pace to try too match that. Maybe we can still swop firsts with Jets for Wilkerson but that is all offer the Jets.

Pace has already demonstrated that he wont pay big contracts. In both FA markets, he gives out 3 or 4 mid level contracts and a bunch of low end deals. No way he changes that. Wilkerson isnt coming here.