Shaq Lawson

bradjock

I saw 3 different mock drafts today from 3 different places and they all have Shaq Lawson going to the Bears at #11. The 3 have nothing in common so I gotta think where there is smoke there is fire. The 3 sources were an ESPN countable, Peter King, and Dan Pompei. ESPN was broadcast but here's what King and Pompei had to say:

Peter King: 11. Chicago: Shaq Lawson, DE/OLB, Clemson. Keep hearing the Bears will go defense here, and if this scenario holds, I guarantee either GM Ryan Pace or coach John Fox, or both, will say post-first-round: “We never thought he’d be sitting there at our pick.” So many people I spoke with love Lawson’s effort, and think his first-step quickness and 4.68 speed is going to translate very well to the NFL. The Bears need a quarterback-disruptor. One X factor: Lawson could need a shoulder procedure, not serious, before the season.

Dan Pompei: 1. Bears—Shaq Lawson, OLB, Clemson. He’s a scheme fit for the Bears, he’s a decent value at this point of the draft and he’s a player who fills a need. The fact that he can rush the passer and play with power makes Lawson attractive to the Bears. If Jack Conklin is available, he could be the pick. Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Hargreaves can’t be dismissed either.

I like him. My main concern with him is where he plays for the Bears. He looks like a 4-3 DE to me. I'm never really comfortable projecting a 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB because they are such different skill sets, so I don't know if he can do it. What I know is I haven't seen much tape of him moving in space, covering, back pedaling, etc. and what I've seen hasn't shown me that he's that fluid in that aspect. Maybe he can get there and if we take him and put him at OLB, I have to assume we are comfortable with that part of this game. I think he would be better served adding 10 lbs or so and playing DE if we were to take him. If that's what we decide we want to do, the one thing I keep coming back to in this draft is the depth of the DL pool. I feel like if the Bears are taking a DE at #11, then they have to really like him, because on paper the difference between the DE you draft in the 1st and who will be left when you pick in the second might be the smallest skill difference between two positions, whether you end up looking at Vernon Butler, Chris Jones, Jonathan Bullard, Ogbah, the list goes on. It's a little hard for me to believe the Bears love Lawson that much. But maybe they do.

I do like Lawson more than I like Leonard Floyd. He fits the scheme better IMO and I can live with a strong rotation of McPhee, Lawson, Houston, and if he's still around Willie Young. I think if we took Lawson we'd be trading Young for a late round pick.

I do like Lawson more than I like Leonard Floyd. He fits the scheme better IMO and I can live with a strong rotation of McPhee, Lawson, Houston, and if he's still around Willie Young. I think if we took Lawson we'd be trading Young for a late round pick.

I also like him better than Floyd, he is better at the point of attack. He is has the same build as McPhee and have seen him compared to Chandler Jones. If they think he is a 10 sack a year guy, then go for it. I think there is a plum list of 8 outside of the QB, if they are all gone then I think they should go for it. We can get a 5 T in the second or third round because of the depth.

With the recent medical whispers Myles Jack may be there at 11 also!

I think it's quite possible if Myles Jack is there at #11, we pass. Jeff Dickerson with Chicago ESPN had a good article where he talked about how in last year's draft, the Bears played it really safe. We took really good football players who weren't a gamble. This was part of his argument for why the Bears will draft Shaq Lawson.

Myles Jack would be a ILB or maybe SS in our scheme. With the signing of Trevathan and Freeman, it would be harder to select but he is still a dynamic player.

Interesting that with the knee concerns keeping him lighter in weight and playing more in space as a safety may prolong his career. When he's at 225lbs he can cover the slot WR or move TE and is still capable of playing the run.

Interesting that with the knee concerns keeping him lighter in weight and playing more in space as a safety may prolong his career. When he's at 225lbs he can cover the slot WR or move TE and is still capable of playing the run.

He has good coverage skills, that is an interesting proposal,SS.