Chopped Vets

Stinger226

I read an article about what vets are the next to go for the Bears.

It is apparent that this team is bullish on getting younger as we were one of the oldest teams in the league.

The article listed 5 vets who seem destined to be the next players to be cut.

Corn Washington ---he has been around 3 years and you rarely here his name. He has measurable s but has shown very little since being a Bear. Suttons body doesnt fit the scheme but is more productive over his time here.

Marq Wilson----- I think he started to show some zing last year but with a healthy Royal and Bravemen being added, he could be let go.

Christ Jones---- With Trevathan-Freeman-Wilson- Kwiatkoski being added, his days are numbered

Lamar Houston----I think we end up keeping Houston but that would leave 5 OLBs with Acho-Young-McPhee-Floyd. I think Acho ends up being odd man out.

J Rodgers--- I think Rodgers is the best blocking back on the roster and end up staying with Carey on the spot.

What might be interesting to note is they used an IR spot on Washington so I think they like him a bit. Had they not liked him, you'd think think they'd just release him.

I think Wilson stays. If I had to guess, we keep AJ, White, Royal, Wilson, Braverman, and maybe Thompson. If White or/and AJ go down the WR core gets a little short.

Jones wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think Houston sticks around and plays on running downs while Fangio uses Floyd just like he did Aldon Smith on passing downs.

Rodgers is kinda meh. He's a solid pass catcher, but that should be what Langford is as well.

Wilie Young is a guy who I think gets cut.

I don't see how Young or Houston get cut. Both showed tremendous promise in the second half of the season last year. Both were coming off of injury. Floyd is a rookie, but you've got to imagine he's guaranteed on passing downs. On running downs, however, I think it would make sense to keep a rotation of sorts in there. Same goes for McPhee - he needs a breather from time to time.

Acho is gone. The only way Acho stays on the roster is if the Bears want to make a salary-cap related move. I like Acho; he showed some promise. But he's inferior to Young or Houston, and it's not really close.

I don't see how Young or Houston get cut. Both showed tremendous promise in the second half of the season last year. Both were coming off of injury. Floyd is a rookie, but you've got to imagine he's guaranteed on passing downs. On running downs, however, I think it would make sense to keep a rotation of sorts in there. Same goes for McPhee - he needs a breather from time to time.

Acho is gone. The only way Acho stays on the roster is if the Bears want to make a salary-cap related move. I like Acho; he showed some promise. But he's inferior to Young or Houston, and it's not really close.

I'm not saying they are great or couldn't be upgraded but I like our OLB rotation of McPhee, Houston, Young, and Floyd. There might not be a lot of flash (not until we see if Floyd can get around the edge) but there's a little bit of everything in there in terms of skills. If a 5th player makes the roster at OLB it might be Acho but he showed little last year around the LOS and wasn't so great on special teams. If we keep 5, there's a chance we see Robertson-Harris on the 53. Personally I think he needs a year on the practice squad but I also don't think we need Acho on the 53.

The way this roster was rebuilt this offseason, especially with the draft and UDFAs we have some strong competition for the bottom 1/3 of the roster.

WR: Mariani, Marquese Wilson, Braverman, Bellamy, Deonte Thompson, and Meredith

DBs: Bush, Hall, Houston-Carson, Callahan, Omar Bolden, Hurst, HJQ, and Prosinski

LBs: Anderson, Barrow, Cherry, Jones, Kwiatkoski, Tim,

RB: Carey, Rodgers, Perry (I'm not too enamored with this depth)

TE: Housler, Braunecker, Lee, Sommers

That's 27 names of players that contributed last year or are draftees/UDFAs who I think can challenge for a roster spot.

Normally at this time I look at the bottom of the roster and it's just a bunch of names I think I'll hear for about 1 year, perhaps 2 years, and then they are gone. This time around I look at the competition and I think a few of these new players are going to be guys we talk about for several years, if not more. I'm actually looking forward to preseason games in a way I haven't for years because I feel like there's finally a foundation to this roster that will build the future we want to see. Guys that made a little name for themselves last year (like Bellamy and Wilson) need to compete for a roster spot. I want to see how those battles play out on the field and some vets are going to get chopped.

This is not to say these guys can all become starters, rather I'm saying I think we will finally added enough good football players that whoever wins these roster spots will provide good depth on the roster. Maybe a couple, or three, will become starters down the road but for now this depth is what helps a team survive the inevitable injuries that occur during the season.

I feel like the roster will end up very close to this with a surprise cut or two and a couple of new additions once cuts start next month.

QB – Cutler, Hoyer

RB – Langford, Howard, Carey, Rodgers

TE – Miller, Housler, Lee, Braunecker

WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (1 out of Thompson, Mariani), (1 of out of Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith/Peterson*/Keaton*)

OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Grasu, Ramirez, Larsen, (2 of out of Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver*/Wallace/Bellard*/Kling*/Buchholz*)

DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (2 out of Ferguson, Sutton, Washington, Robertson-Harris*)

LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (1-2 out of Jones/Anderson/Timu), (2 out of Acho/Houston/Young)

CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Hall, McManis

S – Amos, Bush, Jones-Quartey, (1-2 out of Bolden, Prosinski, Houston-Carson*, Glenn-CB)

*-PS candidate

I feel like the roster will end up very close to this with a surprise cut or two and a couple of new additions once cuts start next month.

QB (2) – Cutler, Hoyer

RB (4) – Langford, Howard, Carey, Rodgers

TE (4) – Miller, Housler, Lee, Braunecker

WR (7) – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (1 out of Thompson, Mariani), (1 of out of Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith/Peterson*/Keaton*) - They will be scared because of last year.

OL (10) – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Grasu, Ramirez, Larsen, (2 of out of Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver*/Wallace/Bellard*/Kling*/Buchholz*) It's 10 not because I love OL, but because Fabuluje is a guy they grabbed last year, Becton has a NO connection, and the Buchholz kid looks like a real solid, versatile player.

DL (7) – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (2 out of Ferguson, Sutton, Washington, Robertson-Harris*)

LB (9) – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (1-2 out of Jones/Anderson/Timu), (2 out of Acho/Houston/Young) LBs are the life of a 3-4. They'll keep a lot.

CB (5) – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Hall, McManis

S (5) – Amos, Bush, Jones-Quartey, (1-2 out of Bolden, Prosinski, Houston-Carson*, Glenn-CB)

*-PS candidate

There's my best guess.

2 QB – Cutler, Hoyer

4 RB – Langford, Howard, Carey, Rodgers

4 TE – Miller, Housler, Lee, Braunecker

6 WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (1 out of Thompson, Mariani), (1 of out of Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith/Peterson*/Keaton*)

9 OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Grasu, Ramirez, Larsen, (2 of out of Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver*/Wallace/Bellard*/Kling*/Buchholz*)

25 offensive players

6 DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (2 out of Ferguson, Sutton, Washington, Robertson-Harris*)

8/9 LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (1-2 out of Jones/Anderson/Timu), (2 out of Acho/Houston/Young)

5 CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Hall, McManis

4/5 S – Amos, Bush, Jones-Quartey, (1-2 out of Bolden, Prosinski, Houston-Carson*, Glenn-CB)

25 Defensive players

*-PS candidate

Do you know how many players we kept at each position at the beginning of the season last year? There were a lot of changes as injuries built up later in the season and they were getting a look at many different players so body counts by position in Week 15/16 were likely different than Week 1. I suspect what you listed there (I added body counts) is close to what we started with last year.

Robertson-Harris is an OLB so he'll be competing with (and beating out) Acho for a roster spot. If we kept 6 DTs last year then it bodes well for Washington's chances at making the roster this year but I wouldn't rule out Terry Williams in this battle.

Do you know how many players we kept at each position at the beginning of the season last year? There were a lot of changes as injuries built up later in the season and they were getting a look at many different players so body counts by position in Week 15/16 were likely different than Week 1. I suspect what you listed there (I added body counts) is close to what we started with last year.

Robertson-Harris is an OLB so he'll be competing with (and beating out) Acho for a roster spot. If we kept 6 DTs last year then it bodes well for Washington's chances at making the roster this year but I wouldn't rule out Terry Williams in this battle.

It is hard to gauge from the first to the second year in a new regime, someone may have worked harder to get better than someone else and the least you can say about this coaching staff, they aint afraid to play anybody, no matter where you came from.

Jason, that is 53, plus Kicker, Punter, LS, so you have to keep O and D to 50. So cut 3 and we are good.

Argh. I meticulously broke down where I thought we should keep players.

Cut Braunecker (don't need four TEs), Becton (average with minimal potential), and Timu (more athletic guys available).