C/G Manny Ramirez retires

adam

So maybe we were a little too hasty to let Slauson go after all. It looks like we could've really used his depth inside, especially if Grasu falters.

Ouch. This does kinda make the release of Slausen more of a head scratcher. Especially given the benefit of hindsight. There aren't a lot of options currently on the roster for center other than maybe Ted Larsen. His write up says he played some DT in college but played Center his last year or two. Was drafted by NE as one(?). I suspect they'll kick the tires on some retreads from other teams or currently who are FAs.

So maybe we were a little too hasty to let Slauson go after all. It looks like we could've really used his depth inside, especially if Grasu falters.

I think Ramierz probably thought he would get to start, and after being around Grassu, thinks maybe he dont want to be a backup.So he bailed. Larsen can play center if Grassu fails, and Whitehair could fill in if needed. Chandler can play guard, so I dont think there will be a depth problem.

Leno Whitehair Grassu Long Massie

Chandler Larsen Larsen Chandler (Becton or Kling)

I think they like guys that can play several positions and that's what they have.

Chandler may back up Massie and Kling the backup at LT.

If they have a problem with depth there are still some older vets they could bring in that still play at a decent level.

Ben Grubbs/OG

Jahri Evans/OG

Will Montgomery/OC

Khared Holmes/OC

Will Beatty/OT

Khalid Barnes/OT

Impossible to know what happened here as a day or two earlier Ramirez was quoted as saying he was competing to be the starter. To go from that to retiring in two days is a massive change in mindset. Was it because he saw himself sliding too far down the depth chart? I was counting on having his experience in the locker room this season but if he was falling outside the top 8 then it's possible this is a good sign some of the others are starting play well. Or he was playing that poorly and we still have a depth problem. Shortly after he and Larsen signed we cut Slauson so the assumption then was that Ramirez was a better player. All eyes will be on the Oline vs. Dline workouts next week.

I heard Hub (not that he's all knowing...) say that he thinks Pace's long game is that he wants only people in place for what he thinks is the 2017*2020 window. That's why Forte isn't here, Slauson, etc. Ramirez might have thought the same if Grassu was indeed showing positive signs of starting. Or maybe his body or mind aches and he wanted to be done with the game...

Either way, he gone.

Next!

:dabears

I think Ramierz probably thought he would get to start, and after being around Grassu, thinks maybe he dont want to be a backup.So he bailed. Larsen can play center if Grassu fails, and Whitehair could fill in if needed. Chandler can play guard, so I dont think there will be a depth problem.

Leno Whitehair Grassu Long Massie

Chandler Larsen Larsen Chandler (Becton or Kling)

I think they like guys that can play several positions and that's what they have.

Chandler may back up Massie and Kling the backup at LT.

If they have a problem with depth there are still some older vets they could bring in that still play at a decent level.

Ben Grubbs/OG

Jahri Evans/OG

Will Montgomery/OC

Khared Holmes/OC

Will Beatty/OT

Khalid Barnes/OT

Impossible to know what happened here as a day or two earlier Ramirez was quoted as saying he was competing to be the starter. To go from that to retiring in two days is a massive change in mindset. Was it because he saw himself sliding too far down the depth chart? I was counting on having his experience in the locker room this season but if he was falling outside the top 8 then it's possible this is a good sign some of the others are starting play well. Or he was playing that poorly and we still have a depth problem. Shortly after he and Larsen signed we cut Slauson so the assumption then was that Ramirez was a better player. All eyes will be on the Oline vs. Dline workouts next week.

I think the letting go of Slauson was a result of the OL coach wants lineman that can move in space. I think Matt was a good player and you should keep those types on the team but it is clear there is more to all of this. He doesn't fit the blocking scheme, there going younger and I think they are not looking at this year for being a playoff contender and more so from who will be playing next year and beyond. You can not fix all problems in one or two years and our roster was so bad, it just was not a quick fix. I am enthusiastic as to where our current regime are taking us, but it is just a 3 year plan and not one or two years to make over the roster.