Bears work out Tony Moeaka

Stinger226

Bears work out Tony Moeaki, other tight ends

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2016, 3:23 PM EDT

ATLANTA, GA - JANUARY 03: Tony Moeaki #81 of the Atlanta Falcons runs after a catch during the first half against the New Orleans Saints at the Georgia Dome on January 3, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Getty Images

The Bears traded Martellus Bennett to the Patriots this offseason, leaving them with Zach Miller at the top of the depth chart and a slew of players vying for backup roles on this year’s roster.

They appear to be considering another addition to that latter group. Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that the team worked out several tight ends on Thursday.

The most familiar name of the group is Tony Moeaki. Moeaki was a 2010 third-round pick of the Chiefs and opened his career with 47 catches for 556 yards. A knee injury knocked him out for all of 2011, however, and the Chiefs moved on from Moeaki after a 2013 shoulder injury. He spent time with the Bills and Seahawks before playing 11 games for the Falcons last season.

Former Packer Ryan Taylor also tried out along with undrafted rookie Terenn Houk and others whose names have gone unreported at this point.

What are we looking for here? Looking at our roster I think we want a better blocking TE because nobody really fills that void well. Of the TE names listed the best blocking TE is Moeaki, and he is more of a move TE. Then there is this article at the bottom listing Khari Lee as our starting TE, I presume our starting inline blocking TE.

-----------------

On Moeaki... (I'm posting one comment but it is representative of the draft profiles I read)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/382607-...was-tony-moeaki

"I think Tony's strengths line up very well with what teams are looking for from a second or third tight end. Tony's not going to be a Brandon Pettigrew type, who was the first tight end taken last year. He went in the first round because he was an excellent blocker and he could also be a factor in the passing game. Tony is what teams are calling a 'move' guy."

- Paul Burmeister, NFL Network Analyst

--------------

Ryan Taylor couldn't catch on with the Packers despite their TE struggles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...torical/1117400

Negatives: Average size for the position, lacks strength and pop to be an in-line blocker. Not elusive after the catch and will not separate with speed from pro linebackers. Lacks athleticism to adjust to oncoming NFL defenders when blocking, also needs work on his cut blocks. Does not always find his target as a second-level blocker.

--------------

Terenn Houk was 229lbs coming out of college he is not an inline blocker.

-------------

The Suntimes article listing Lee as working with the 1's....

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/tight-e...duce-for-bears/

There are only 3 names listed in the original post but those prospects are all move TEs not inline blockers. I thought we had the move TE covered between Miller, Braunecker, and Housler. In general there is no problem looking at players like this during the offseason but we've been chasing TEs since we cut Bennett and we're still at it. Someone isn't making them happy in the OTAs...but who? It's not Miller since they knew what he could do before re-signing him, nor has there been any word of any injuries hampering him. I thought maybe Lee but if he's practicing with the 1's as the inline blocker and the team is bringing in move TEs then they are happy with Lee's blocking. That leaves Housler or Braunecker on the bubble, maybe both.

Also, do we want to keep 3 or 4 TEs on the 53 man roster? That would make a difference as well. If the team prefers to keep 4 TEs odds are one of them gets a serious injury before the season starts and then we'd only have 3 TEs on the roster. Maybe we're just sniffing around for competition for that 4th roster spot.

-----

What are we looking for here? Looking at our roster I think we want a better blocking TE because nobody really fills that void well. Of the TE names listed the best blocking TE is Moeaki, and he is more of a move TE. Then there is this article at the bottom listing Khari Lee as our starting TE, I presume our starting inline blocking TE.

-----------------

On Moeaki... (I'm posting one comment but it is representative of the draft profiles I read)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/382607-...was-tony-moeaki

"I think Tony's strengths line up very well with what teams are looking for from a second or third tight end. Tony's not going to be a Brandon Pettigrew type, who was the first tight end taken last year. He went in the first round because he was an excellent blocker and he could also be a factor in the passing game. Tony is what teams are calling a 'move' guy."

- Paul Burmeister, NFL Network Analyst

--------------

Ryan Taylor couldn't catch on with the Packers despite their TE struggles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...torical/1117400

Negatives: Average size for the position, lacks strength and pop to be an in-line blocker. Not elusive after the catch and will not separate with speed from pro linebackers. Lacks athleticism to adjust to oncoming NFL defenders when blocking, also needs work on his cut blocks. Does not always find his target as a second-level blocker.

--------------

Terenn Houk was 229lbs coming out of college he is not an inline blocker.

-------------

The Suntimes article listing Lee as working with the 1's....

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/tight-e...duce-for-bears/

There are only 3 names listed in the original post but those prospects are all move TEs not inline blockers. I thought we had the move TE covered between Miller, Braunecker, and Housler. In general there is no problem looking at players like this during the offseason but we've been chasing TEs since we cut Bennett and we're still at it. Someone isn't making them happy in the OTAs...but who? It's not Miller since they knew what he could do before re-signing him, nor has there been any word of any injuries hampering him. I thought maybe Lee but if he's practicing with the 1's as the inline blocker and the team is bringing in move TEs then they are happy with Lee's blocking. That leaves Housler or Braunecker on the bubble, maybe both.

Also, do we want to keep 3 or 4 TEs on the 53 man roster? That would make a difference as well. If the team prefers to keep 4 TEs odds are one of them gets a serious injury before the season starts and then we'd only have 3 TEs on the roster. Maybe we're just sniffing around for competition for that 4th roster spot.

-----

I think if we end up keeping 4 TEs it will just replace an extra RB or no FB. They keep throwing darts at the board in hopes of finding a gem in the rough. I read where they offered Gresham 12 mil guaranteed and then went after Hill strong, so they are absolutely trying to upgrade the position but sometimes it doesn't work out.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/13/f...ight-end-group/

I'm a little surprised to see Braunecker settle in as the #2 TE this early. Housler and Lee have much more time in the offense. Neither of them would be considered elite competition but knowing that Braunecker has shown up so quickly is good news for a team desperate for another receiving option behind Zach Miller. We still have to see them with the pads on and that will be a big challenge for Braunecker.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/13/f...ight-end-group/

I'm a little surprised to see Braunecker settle in as the #2 TE this early. Housler and Lee have much more time in the offense. Neither of them would be considered elite competition but knowing that Braunecker has shown up so quickly is good news for a team desperate for another receiving option behind Zach Miller. We still have to see them with the pads on and that will be a big challenge for Braunecker.

I think they have enough options at TE that someone could end up shining. With White back and Royal, I dont think we need to rely on the position as much for production.

Jeff Dickerson is reporting that the Bears are also trying out Fullbacks which is one tweak the new OC is adding.

I think with the question mark at TE adding a FB would help with the running game and also another option in the passing game. They will get it all figured out.

Honestly, I don't really like the signing that much. He's a journeyman at best. I'd rather see competition produce the best backup, hopefully someone that can fill in for Miller when he needs a breather. If Miller is going to be a pass-catcher more than a blocker in thi offense, then Moeaki is not his likely replacement.

Honestly, I don't really like the signing that much. He's a journeyman at best. I'd rather see competition produce the best backup, hopefully someone that can fill in for Miller when he needs a breather. If Miller is going to be a pass-catcher more than a blocker in thi offense, then Moeaki is not his likely replacement.

All we have at TE are either journeymen or rookies. How is this not adding competition among the journeymen?

I think it's what's needed. There's nothing out there right now in FA other than journeymen.

The team did what's been their current consistent motto...dump guys that won't be here next season. That's why we don't have Bennett, Forte and Slauson. I would well imagine we'll be drafting a TE unless the braniac from Harvard turns into something special...which is unlikely.

I think the more tires we kick and more warm bodies brought in, the better. And, if Miller somehow can stay relatively healthy, it could be fun!

All we have at TE are either journeymen or rookies. How is this not adding competition among the journeymen?

I don't think it's true competition for a starting role since he's not really a pass-catching TE. Miller is much more of a pass threat.

Yes, that would be nice but at this point what other options are there? Seems like a low risk/ and perhaps low reward scenario. At best I'd say he's being looked at to replace one of Housler, Lee, Braunecker, and on the outside perhaps the FB Lasike. Lee sounds like he's installed as the best blocking TE and that's not Moeaki's strength. This may well have more to do with special teams performance than TE skills, assuming those are relatively equal.

We committed to Miller as our starter with the money we gave him and outside of the rumored offer to Gresham we've done little else to pursue replacing him as the starter. I don't count the TE from NO we gave an offer to as a serious effort at finding a starter. I agree that having Miller as our #2, or least having two TEs capable of being a decent #1 would be great to have. We're stuck waiting another year for that to happen. However, I don't think this story will be complete until after training camp and all the final cuts around the league are done.

Yes, that would be nice but at this point what other options are there? Seems like a low risk/ and perhaps low reward scenario. At best I'd say he's being looked at to replace one of Housler, Lee, Braunecker, and on the outside perhaps the FB Lasike. Lee sounds like he's installed as the best blocking TE and that's not Moeaki's strength. This may well have more to do with special teams performance than TE skills, assuming those are relatively equal.

We committed to Miller as our starter with the money we gave him and outside of the rumored offer to Gresham we've done little else to pursue replacing him as the starter. I don't count the TE from NO we gave an offer to as a serious effort at finding a starter. I agree that having Miller as our #2, or least having two TEs capable of being a decent #1 would be great to have. We're stuck waiting another year for that to happen. However, I don't think this story will be complete until after training camp and all the final cuts around the league are done.

Trying to get Josh Hill would have been an attempt at finding one of our two TEs we would have used. It was as controllable a situation as getting Gresham. the only different was he choose not to come here where NO decided Hill should be keep. With the TEs they signed in FA keeping Hill was a marginal decision. They know the valve of the position , so they keep him.