Buddy Ryan passes away :(

GakMan23

espn article:

One of the more poignant moments of ESPN's 30 for 30 on the '85 Bears was when members of Buddy Ryan's famed 46 Defense read a letter from their former defensive coordinator, often fighting back tears while reading it. Ryan, who was in poor health at the time and died Tuesday, was unable to attend any of the reunion festivities surrounding the premiere of the documentary earlier this year.

Here is the transcript of that letter, which was signed, Coach Buddy Ryan 46:

To my guys,

In 1981, many of you signed a letter to George Halas to save my job. Now I’m writing a letter to all of you to say thanks. I wish I could be there to say it in person, but this will have to do.

Thank you to the Super Bowl Champion 1985 Chicago Bears, the greatest football team in NFL history. You gave me the best memories of my coaching life.

You all mean the world to me. I’ll love every one of you until the day I die.

I told you this a long time ago, and it’s still true: You guys will always be my heroes.

Love,

Buddy Ryan

espn article:

One of the more poignant moments of ESPN's 30 for 30 on the '85 Bears was when members of Buddy Ryan's famed 46 Defense read a letter from their former defensive coordinator, often fighting back tears while reading it. Ryan, who was in poor health at the time and died Tuesday, was unable to attend any of the reunion festivities surrounding the premiere of the documentary earlier this year.

To my guys,

In 1981, many of you signed a letter to George Halas to save my job. Now I'm writing a letter to all of you to say thanks. I wish I could be there to say it in person, but this will have to do.

Thank you to the Super Bowl Champion 1985 Chicago Bears, the greatest football team in NFL history. You gave me the best memories of my coaching life.

You all mean the world to me. I'll love every one of you until the day I die.

I told you this a long time ago, and it's still true: You guys will always be my heroes.

Love,

Buddy Ryan

I just printed a copy of this letter to give to a co-worker if its okay with you. I didn't think this would bother me as much as it has because of how Buddy was! He came here with Neil Armstrong in 78 and stayed until 86. Prior to his stint with the Bears he won a ring as an assistant with the Jets in 69 as a DB coach for Weeb Eubanks!

espn article:

To my guys,

In 1981, many of you signed a letter to George Halas to save my job. Now I’m writing a letter to all of you to say thanks. I wish I could be there to say it in person, but this will have to do.

You all mean the world to me. I’ll love every one of you until the day I die.

I told you this a long time ago, and it’s still true: You guys will always be my heroes.

Love,

Buddy Ryan

Thank you, Buddy. You gave me such a rush with the best D that has ever been in the NFL. You and the players were a perfect storm. Loved every second of your 1984-85 D.

I've been reading some of the stories about Buddy today. One of my fondest memories is being at the '85 playoff game against the Rams. It was cold and I still remember those guys walking around with no shirt on that are seen in the video. You can't play defense the same way today (watch Wilbur Marshall destroy Henry Ellard at 3:25) but back then Bears defenders were all in on every play and that came from Buddy's leadership.

There have been other great defenses since then but none have had this combination of an attacking style, physical dominance, and tactical superiority over what an offense wanted to do. The 2000 Ravens came closest in my mind but they were not an attacking front with just 35 sacks. Put another way, the '85 Bears D under Buddy Ryan changed the way offenses played the game...forever. No other defense since that time can make that claim.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000063...ses-of-all-time