Bears claim Connor Shaw

adam

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0701-story.html

Saw this yesterday. The most interesting part was the fact that New Orleans was intending to claim him and accidentally sent notification to entire league. The Bears swooped in and grabbed him. I don't know if he will make the roster, but the move was interesting nonetheless.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0701-story.html

Saw this yesterday. The most interesting part was the fact that New Orleans was intending to claim him and accidentally sent notification to entire league. The Bears swooped in and grabbed him. I don't know if he will make the roster, but the move was interesting nonetheless.

So the conspirisist (sp?) in me wonders; what gives? Did someone in the Saints org "unintentionally" tip off Pace? What were their plans for Shaw? Are the Bears now thinking of using him as a trade piece to NO? Loggains apparently saw something in him. And lastly; who the heck is Connor Shaw?

Edit: got to thinking about this and remembered that AJ played at SC. Guess what?

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/uni...le87220717.html

. AJ won the MVP of this game despite being ejected.

So the conspirisist (sp?) in me wonders; what gives? Did someone in the Saints org "unintentionally" tip off Pace? What were their plans for Shaw? Are the Bears now thinking of using him as a trade piece to NO? Loggains apparently saw something in him. And lastly; who the heck is Connor Shaw?

Edit: got to thinking about this and remembered that AJ played at SC. Guess what?

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/uni...le87220717.html

. AJ won the MVP of this game despite being ejected.

Good catch, I didn't even think about the connection to AJ. I thought Hoyer was already locked in as the #2, and it is hard for me to see us carrying 3 QB's into the regular season, so this just has to be a camp arm.

Too bad there wasn't an easier way to shelf a couple of prospects. I think that is part of the NFLs problem with teams struggling to develop good QB prospects. They should increase the practice squad by two and those two spaces are only available to QBs.

As for Shaw, I think he has Chicago written over him. Tough gritty grind it out kid.

Too bad there wasn't an easier way to shelf a couple of prospects. I think that is part of the NFLs problem with teams struggling to develop good QB prospects. They should increase the practice squad by two and those two spaces are only available to QBs.

As for Shaw, I think he has Chicago written over him. Tough gritty grind it out kid.

The NFL can't find enough decent starting QBs, many teams have serious questions at backup QB. By the time you get down to the Connor Shaw type of players no amount of development time will make a big difference.

The NFL can't find enough decent starting QBs, many teams have serious questions at backup QB. By the time you get down to the Connor Shaw type of players no amount of development time will make a big difference.

I've always wondered why. My only thought is that defenses are so fast that the QB's can't execute. There are a thousand guys that have the arm skills, but only about 10-15 guys in the world can execute.

That is because they spend so much time giving the starting QB most of the practice reps. They really need a minor league system.

Not saying Connor Shaw would ever make it, but why even use a waiver on him? Is it to screw the othern teams who may be needy of a 3rd string camp arm? We all probably agree he cannot beat out Hoyer, so maybe we are keeping 3 qbs on our 53.

That is because they spend so much time giving the starting QB most of the practice reps. They really need a minor league system.

Not saying Connor Shaw would ever make it, but why even use a waiver on him? Is it to screw the othern teams who may be needy of a 3rd string camp arm? We all probably agree he cannot beat out Hoyer, so maybe we are keeping 3 qbs on our 53.

I don't think it's as simple as just give a guy more reps. How then do we explain the bottom half of the league's starting QBs for which teams are always looking for replacements? I truly believe if a guy has talent he'll very quickly rise to 2nd string player. There he gets enough reps to show what he can do. Maybe not enough to be as proficient as the starter but if he truly has starting potential you're going to see it especially if you're starting QB is struggling.

Every offseason we find backups and a couple starting QBs available. In 2016 it was RGIII, EJ Manuel, Kap, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton, Fitzpatrick, Osweiller. Fitzpatrick has shown he can be a decent starter/backup yet he's still on the market. Despite many starter reps among that group nobody was kicking the door down to get one of them signed except for Osweiller. 2015 had: Jake Locker, Mallett, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore, Hoyer, Shaun Hill, Josh McCown, Tebow, Clausen, Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Schaub, Gabbert, Colt McCoy, and others.

Once in a blue moon someone finds a 3rd string guy who can be a starter (i.e. Warner, Romo). Despite that there are far more big money failures when signing backups to be a starter: Matt Flynn, Charlie Whitehurst,