Who is your surprise player that steps up this season?

ASHKUM BEAR

The Bears have done another good job at creating excitement for this seasons team. The retooled defense will have a different look for sure. The offense will be a wait and see as they made some major moves too.

I like to walk the edge with my player picks:

Defense

Deiondre Hall DB - this guy has good length, high football IQ, and does what it takes in run or pass. I do not see him getting much time to showcase his game early on unless there are injuries. His skill set will compliment Fuller well since he w

is great against the run. Donatell will do good grooming Hall and I think he will be a name we watch making plays on Sundays.

Offense

Eddie Royal WR- not much of a surprise, but many of us have written him off. With Jeffery and White drawing the most attention, Royal should see a lot of easy coverages he can expose, so he is my pick.

I'm going with 2 levels on this. Rookies and vets

Rookies/Defense: Bullard

Went back and forth a bit between Roy Robert-Harris and Bullard but I think Bullard is far more prepared to step in and play today. He has more quickness and more length than Sutton and he takes his place in the rotation. I think Ferguson takes the early snaps, both in early season games and on early downs later in the season, as Bullard settles into the NFL but when we need pass rush I think Bullards stands out among our Dline.

Rookie/Offense: Braverman

This kid is a hard worker who takes nothing for granted. I don't think he takes Royal's place but with Wilson injured I think he takes Mariani's spot and gets reps as our 4th WR. Versatility matters deep down the roster so he'll also earn this via punt and kick returns.

Vet/Defense: Bryce Callahan

We're rebuilding so many vets on this team are in just their 2nd season. Bryce Callahan. He flashed a lot of good plays last year and when he was the field the entire defense looked better. I think this year everyone comes to understand how valuable he is to our roster.

Vet/Offense: Charles Leno

I can't say I'm 100% confident in Leno but there were quite a few times where he matched up well against good competition last year. If one thing was made clear last year it is that Cutler is the key to all things on offense. The team trusted Leno enough to not go after a LT early (or at all) in the draft bringing in just a journeyman to be his competition. I think he shows us that trust from the front office was warranted.

Went back and forth a bit between Roy Robert-Harris and Bullard but I think Bullard is far more prepared to step in and play today. He has more quickness and more length than Sutton and he takes his place in the rotation. I think Ferguson takes the early snaps, both in early season games and on early downs later in the season, as Bullard settles into the NFL but when we need pass rush I think Bullards stands out among our Dline.

This kid is a hard worker who takes nothing for granted. I don't think he takes Royal's place but with Wilson injured I think he takes Mariani's spot and gets reps as our 4th WR. Versatility matters deep down the roster so he'll also earn this via punt and kick returns.

We're rebuilding so many vets on this team are in just their 2nd season. Bryce Callahan. He flashed a lot of good plays last year and when he was the field the entire defense looked better. I think this year everyone comes to understand how valuable he is to our roster.

I can't say I'm 100% confident in Leno but there were quite a few times where he matched up well against good competition last year. If one thing was made clear last year it is that Cutler is the key to all things on offense. The team trusted Leno enough to not go after a LT early (or at all) in the draft bringing in just a journeyman to be his competition. I think he shows us that trust from the front office was warranted.

I think on offense Whitehair takes the job and runs with it. He will be consistent and make us realize why we drafted him.

I think on defense Hicks becomes a stud. He is at a breakout point in his career and with the attention some of the bigger names we obtained in the off season he will shine.

I think on offense Whitehair takes the job and runs with it. He will be consistent and make us realize why we drafted him.

I think on defense Hicks becomes a stud. He is at a breakout point in his career and with the attention some of the bigger names we obtained in the off season he will shine.

When I think of step up I think of veterans because rookies don't have a track record to step up from. WTBS my choices are on offense Jeremy Langford and on defense Eddie Goldman.

I like your take AZ. It's kind of difficult to think in terms of "surprising" since many of on here discuss every detail!

For me I see the following:

Rookie O: Whitehair - Seems like he has the potential to be NFL ready. I'm sure he'll struggle at times, but I'm going to hope he rocks it overall.

Rookie D: I'm in on Bullard too for the same reasons you have.

Vet O: Langford - I think he'll be better than some are expecting. Fox is a run guy, and with the move of Long to his best spot...I think Langford could be huge.

Vet D: Fuller - I think a lot of people are writing him off, and I think the opposite will happen. With another year w/ Fangio and Donnatel...I think we'll see him improve. And one of the biggest reasons will be the better play of the DL and the LB crew.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it is early, but good reviews on Braverman today. They were calling him "open all day". Hope your prediction is right on! On D, Jones-Quarty looks to be the 2nd year vet that is impressing also.

I know it is early, but good reviews on Braverman today. They were calling him "open all day". Hope your prediction is right on! On D, Jones-Quarty looks to be the 2nd year vet that is impressing also.

Very surprised to hear good things about Braverman this early. We'll see if he earns some time with the 1's next week.

Very surprised to hear good things about Braverman this early. We'll see if he earns some time with the 1's next week.

This is a quite curious year for the offense, Fox will want to run, but the strength is in the passing game. With two studs wide outs, and Royal and Bravemen underneath, we could pick teams apart.

This is a quite curious year for the offense, Fox will want to run, but the strength is in the passing game. With two studs wide outs, and Royal and Bravemen underneath, we could pick teams apart.

We could indeed. If only....

One player that has me intrigued is the UFA guy Kiernan Duncan out of Colorado State - Pueblo. He put up some 40 times in the 4.2 - 4.3 range. Not a big guy but something I read recently said the trend for slot receivers is smaller and faster. Comparisons being made to Tyler Lockett for Seattle or John Brown for AZ. Although I'm still liking Braverman or Mariani for that role this guy could be interesting see develop. Could be the next great KR guy?

Kiernan Duncan

We could indeed. If only....

One player that has me intrigued is the UFA guy Kiernan Duncan out of Colorado State - Pueblo. He put up some 40 times in the 4.2 - 4.3 range. Not a big guy but something I read recently said the trend for slot receivers is smaller and faster. Comparisons being made to Tyler Lockett for Seattle or John Brown for AZ. Although I'm still liking Braverman or Mariani for that role this guy could be interesting see develop. Could be the next great KR guy?

Kiernan Duncan

They will only keep two slot WRs, I suspect it will be Braveman and Royal, maybe Mariani fills one of the outside back up roles.

The Bears have done another good job at creating excitement for this seasons team. The retooled defense will have a different look for sure. The offense will be a wait and see as they made some major moves too.

Defense

Deiondre Hall DB - this guy has good length, high football IQ, and does what it takes in run or pass. I do not see him getting much time to showcase his game early on unless there are injuries. His skill set will compliment Fuller well since he w

is great against the run. Donatell will do good grooming Hall and I think he will be a name we watch making plays on Sundays.

Offense

Eddie Royal WR- not much of a surprise, but many of us have written him off. With Jeffery and White drawing the most attention, Royal should see a lot of easy coverages he can expose, so he is my pick.

Offense = Kevin White - everything I read about this kid I love. Sounds like he has the mental and physical attributes to be a great WR. I hope he dominates. Calling him my surprise player even though he was a 1st round pick because of the injury and sitting out a year.

Defense = Bullard, have to agree with others that have already posted. I like his college game film and think he will be good. I almost put Goldman in this slot. It cant be easy playing in the middle of the Dline as a rookie, hoping he dominates this year!

Defense

Offense

I am feeling good so far on the Hall pick. He showed some promise in his opportunities. Now lets hope he can learn from this game and improve on keeping his eyes on the WRs eyes to track the ball. He is a bright and hungry kid, I think he makes those adjustments so he doesnt have to rely strictly on his length.

The Bullard picks look safe too! He came out looking for a meal too.

Whitehair did well against Broncos #1s also. The coaching staff never hesitated to put him in at C also.